British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

ian-mstm Jun 14th 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9430974)
If your app was rejected because of incorrect filling and is sent back for adjustments do you have to pay the full fee again when you send it back with the corrections?

I'm guessing yes, you need to pay the full fee again. You pay for processing... not for approval. The application was processed and found to be insufficient.

Ian

Englishmum Jun 14th 2011 4:42 pm

I think due to the delays in processing time, the Consulates should waive the Emergency Passport fee if the passport application was clearly submitted before they changed their approx processing times on their website! :thumbdown:

mshedden Jun 14th 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9432310)
I think due to the delays in processing time, the Consulates should waive the Emergency Passport fee if the passport application was clearly submitted before they changed their approx processing times on their website! :thumbdown:

I agree! Fat chance though....

Brigette Jun 14th 2011 5:04 pm

I have another quick question. I am a British citizen but my passport is expired and I need a new one. Judging from the length of time it takes to get a British passport, do you think it is wise to move back to the UK with an American passport and get my British one when I am in the UK? The expired passport was issued in the UK when I visiting for a few months years ago.

Thanks for the response

ian-mstm Jun 14th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 9432364)
... do you think it is wise to move back to the UK with an American passport and get my British one when I am in the UK?

As a UKC, you can't be denied entry to the UK even with an expired UK passport. Getting on the plane though... that might be difficult with an expired UK passport, so if you had a valid US passport, showing that at the airport (rather than your UK passport) will make your life easier. Of course, that presupposes you have a US passport which, I believe, you don't. But, if you did... quite doable - show your US passport at the airport when you board, and your expired UK passport to the officer when you land in the UK.

Note: What you don't want to do, is enter the UK with your US passport. While nothing might ever come of it, you'd be entering as a US visitor rather than as a UK citizen, and would therefore only be allowed to stay a maximum of 6 months... just like every other US visitor.

Ian

Brigette Jun 14th 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9432548)
As a UKC, you can't be denied entry to the UK even with an expired UK passport. Getting on the plane though... that might be difficult with an expired UK passport, so if you had a valid US passport, showing that at the airport (rather than your UK passport) will make your life easier. Of course, that presupposes you have a US passport which, I believe, you don't. But, if you did... quite doable - show your US passport at the airport when you board, and your expired UK passport to the officer when you land in the UK.

Ian

Hi,

I just got off the phone with British Airways and they will not let me on the plane with an expired passport. You are correct that I do not have a US passport, but I am about to file for my citizenship and from everything that I have heard from others who have done it, the wait is not that long nor is the hassle. Seems an easier way to go rather than going through the headache of getting a British passport in the US.

Of course if you know otherwise (meaning difficulty time wise in getting citizenship please do share). I am however eligible for citizen so no problems on that front.

jenmar100 Jun 14th 2011 9:24 pm

I sent my daughter's passport renewal application on April 22nd and it was received on April 24th (per UPS website). I sent a certified bankers check along with the application. I received the green certified mail receipt on 18th May).
We are hoping to travel to the UK in ten days. I am concerned by reports on here that passports are taking way longer than the 4-6 weeks processing time quoted on the British Embassy website!
I called the careline two weeks ago and was told that we were 'not on the system' and to call back in a few days. I called back again a few days later and was told that the payment was taken on 19th May but that my application could not be escalated until three weeks after payment!! So I called back on 10th June, I was told that someone from Washington would call me back before Tuesday. Today is Tuesday and I have not received a call back, so I called the careline for a fourth time (who knows how much this is all going to cost!!!) and I spoke to a very helpful girl who told me that we are at the data entry stage. Does anyone have a timeline from data entry stage?
I am starting to panic now. When should I call the embassy to get the ETD? IS it something I can get the day before travel?

pTeronaut Jun 14th 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9432299)
I'm guessing yes, you need to pay the full fee again. You pay for processing... not for approval. The application was processed and found to be insufficient.

Ian

Dean assured me that a rejection due to a genuine error (in my case trimmed, correctly sized photos) would not incur a new processing fee. Of course, that may not apply for other cases.

ian-mstm Jun 14th 2011 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 9432557)
Of course if you know otherwise (meaning difficulty time wise in getting citizenship please do share). I am however eligible for citizen so no problems on that front.

The current timeline from filing the N-400 to the Oath Ceremony is about 6 months. I haven't heard of anything different lately to make me believe that's not an accurate timeline. On the day you become a USC, you can apply for a US passport - about another 6-8 weeks give or take.

Ian

AmerLisa Jun 14th 2011 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by jenmar100 (Post 9432881)
I sent my daughter's passport renewal application on April 22nd and it was received on April 24th (per UPS website). I sent a certified bankers check along with the application. I received the green certified mail receipt on 18th May).
We are hoping to travel to the UK in ten days. I am concerned by reports on here that passports are taking way longer than the 4-6 weeks processing time quoted on the British Embassy website!
I called the careline two weeks ago and was told that we were 'not on the system' and to call back in a few days. I called back again a few days later and was told that the payment was taken on 19th May but that my application could not be escalated until three weeks after payment!! So I called back on 10th June, I was told that someone from Washington would call me back before Tuesday. Today is Tuesday and I have not received a call back, so I called the careline for a fourth time (who knows how much this is all going to cost!!!) and I spoke to a very helpful girl who told me that we are at the data entry stage. Does anyone have a timeline from data entry stage?
I am starting to panic now. When should I call the embassy to get the ETD? IS it something I can get the day before travel?

It can take 6 to 8 weeks after payment is taken and it does! Our cc was charged April 1st and my husband didn't receive his passport until May 26th. I wouldn't count on your daughter's passport getting to you soon enough to go on your trip.

If you go over this thread you should find some information on the ETD.

Good luck!

trinbrit Jun 14th 2011 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9433108)
It can take 6 to 8 weeks after payment is taken and it does! Our cc was charged April 1st and my husband didn't receive his passport until May 26th. I wouldn't count on your daughter's passport getting to you soon enough to go on your trip.

If you go over this thread you should find some information on the ETD.

Good luck!

Well its 14th june my app was sent in on the 1st of apr,rec 4th apr and cc payment taken on 16th may,got a cal from a plesant helpful lady who told me I don't qualify but as I suspected what I was told by the careline was not enough because as I explained futher and explained to her the other part where I was on my fathers (who was born british) passport as a child for years,she then asked me to go ahead and email it to her which I have done and did ask her to let me know if she received the email which she has not done so I will chk tom,so hopefully that will be it....am hoping.

trinbrit Jun 15th 2011 12:01 am

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9433159)
Well its 14th june my app was sent in on the 1st of apr,rec 4th apr and cc payment taken on 16th may,got a cal from a plesant helpful lady who told me I don't qualify but as I suspected what I was told by the careline was not enough because as I explained futher and explained to her the other part where I was on my fathers (who was born british) passport as a child for years,she then asked me to go ahead and email it to her which I have done and did ask her to let me know if she received the email which she has not done so I will chk tom,so hopefully that will be it....am hoping.

In other words they said just send this and I said well what about these and they said nah don't worry in the end the lady did ask me to send them which I have done. Solets hope that that is enoughh

Rannix Jun 15th 2011 12:13 am

Anyone else just get a message saying 'Please make a selection' when trying to dial careline. (011-44-208 082 4721) ?
Nothing seems to work it just keeps repeating the message 'Please make a selection'.

trinbrit Jun 15th 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9433169)
In other words they said just send this and I said well what about these and they said nah don't worry in the end the lady did ask me to send them which I have done. Solets hope that that is enoughh

Oh by the way my point apart from the fact that I was told the wrong thing from PPCL is that someone actually called.

British Consul Jun 15th 2011 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9430968)
Thanks...and one final question Dean, if my (or anyone else's for that matter) passport application isn't showing up on the careline electronic system but my card was charged, what does that mean? does it take time to show up on the system? Thank you so much for helping us stress heads out... this is torture

It takes a day or so. If it hasn't shown after a while, then there is a problem with the credit card number you provided. You should write and enquire about your application to:

Identity & Passport Service
Regional Passport Processing Centre Manager
19 Observatory Circle NW
Washington DC 20008

Include the tracking number of the package you sent to Washington (UPS or Fedex).