British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

penguinbar Jun 15th 2011 3:52 pm

Re: Passport Delays

We are at almost 12 weeks since it was mailed and almost 9 weeks since credit card was charged. Hope it arrives soon!:fingerscrossed:

aml1982 Jun 15th 2011 4:33 pm

*Moved from the thread I started earlier*

I know there is a lengthy thread on the delays, but this is off that topic and I need pretty urgent help.

We sent of the application for my son's first UK passport a little while back. Payment has not yet been taken. However, some thieving piece of scum has now managed to get hold of my wife's credit card details - the card we used with the application. We are notifying the CC company right now, but as is standard, they will cancel her card and issue a new one, meaning when the passport office looks to take our payment it will be rejected. What can we do about this? Is there any way to contact them in advance and let them know of different payment details? Part of me even wonders if the authorisation we sent out with the CC details on it was where whoever it was got the details in the first place, so I don't know how keen I am to send another one of those out.

Hotscot Jun 15th 2011 4:38 pm

It's incredible that the passport processing center doesn't seem to have accessible, knowledgeable, helpful staff to serve the public and provide accurate, timely information.

I am so disgusted and I think this is an absolute scandal.

mshedden Jun 15th 2011 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9434771)
*Moved from the thread I started earlier*

I know there is a lengthy thread on the delays, but this is off that topic and I need pretty urgent help.

We sent of the application for my son's first UK passport a little while back. Payment has not yet been taken. However, some thieving piece of scum has now managed to get hold of my wife's credit card details - the card we used with the application. We are notifying the CC company right now, but as is standard, they will cancel her card and issue a new one, meaning when the passport office looks to take our payment it will be rejected. What can we do about this? Is there any way to contact them in advance and let them know of different payment details? Part of me even wonders if the authorisation we sent out with the CC details on it was where whoever it was got the details in the first place, so I don't know how keen I am to send another one of those out.

Maybe it would work if you wrote them a letter with the details identifying your application and enclosed a money order or certified check for the payment?

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2011 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9434780)
Maybe it would work if you wrote them a letter with the details identifying your application and enclosed a money order or certified check for the payment?

It's helpful if you hit the 'quote' tab when you reply to a post...otherwise we don't know who you are replying to. ;)

lyonsden1193 Jun 15th 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9434777)
It's incredible that the passport processing center doesn't seem to have accessible, knowledgeable, helpful staff to serve the public and provide accurate, timely information.

I am so disgusted and I think this is an absolute scandal.

I think pretty much everybody on this site would agree with you but short of starting another revolution there is probably not much else to be done...Perhaps we could take over the Isle of wight:D

Fraiche Jun 15th 2011 5:19 pm

Here are my details:

3 March 2011 - mailed application via UPS 2nd Day Air

7 March - package received and signed by Guard

28 March - credit card charged by Consular Service Washington for $223

3 May - first call to Careline and was told my application had no problems and would be complete in one week (cost of call $5 plus international call)

18 May - second call to Careline. Agent again told me my paperwork had no problems and she took my phone numbers and email address. I was told I would be contacted by Passport Services within 3 business days. (cost of call $9 plus international call)

27 May - mailed letter to Consular Services with above details.

15 June - still no word on my application and very frustrated not knowing why my credit card was charged 10 weeks ago with seemingly no action since then and no idea where my documents are.

lyonsden1193 Jun 15th 2011 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9434797)
It's helpful if you hit the 'quote' tab when you reply to a post...otherwise we don't know who you are replying to. ;)

Hey JerseyGirl can you make the 50,000 posts today??

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9434862)
Hey JerseyGirl can you make the 50,000 posts today??

I hadn't even noticed that. There you go. :D

meauxna Jun 15th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9435076)
I hadn't even noticed that. There you go. :D

Aaaah! That post showed as the 50Kish one!!!
congratulations, you must be so proud. :) :lol:

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9435083)
Aaaah! That post showed as the 50Kish one!!!
congratulations, you must be so proud. :) :lol:

My post count is flawed...I documented the error several years ago but Paul disagreed. :lol:

Gooner26 Jun 15th 2011 8:16 pm

Just seen my credit card was charged $29.78 for my call to the careline....

What an absolute joke shop.

(Insert "middle finger" smilie)

bigtruckdriver Jun 15th 2011 8:19 pm

My Timeline for First time applicant....

Mailed - March 16th
Received in Washington - March 18th
Credit Card charged - April 13th

It's now June 15th, and I am still waiting. Luckily it is no rush for me, but this seems quite long.

davidru Jun 16th 2011 2:20 am

phew, have my renewed passport :lol: Which is a relief as I'm suppoesd to fly this Friday. In case it's of any use the timeline has been

Mon 6 - First call to "Care"Line
Thur 9 - No callback, phone "Care"Line again, attempt to get an assurance of a callback.
Fri 10 - Get a callback...application not started but should be renewed and delivered on tuesday, which is great.
Tue 14 - No sign, call again. Should be Wed or Thur, which would just about work, but somewhat skeptical at this stage...
Wed 15 - Arrives via UPS :thumbsup:

From reading other comments it seems like I've somehow had a comparatively easy go of it, and i'm rather pleased, but it's still been unduely stressful. A lot could be done to at least improve the communication if not the turnaround times. They should be more proactive at contacting applicants if there are unexpected delays. Plus I think it's a bit unreasonable now that they effectively give no upper bound on the length of time it will take...

mshedden Jun 16th 2011 3:34 am

Originally Posted by davidru (Post 9435748)
phew, have my renewed passport :lol: Which is a relief as I'm suppoesd to fly this Friday. In case it's of any use the timeline has been

Mon 6 - First call to "Care"Line
Thur 9 - No callback, phone "Care"Line again, attempt to get an assurance of a callback.
Fri 10 - Get a callback...application not started but should be renewed and delivered on tuesday, which is great.
Tue 14 - No sign, call again. Should be Wed or Thur, which would just about work, but somewhat skeptical at this stage...
Wed 15 - Arrives via UPS :thumbsup:

From reading other comments it seems like I've somehow had a comparatively easy go of it, and i'm rather pleased, but it's still been unduely stressful. A lot could be done to at least improve the communication if not the turnaround times. They should be more proactive at contacting applicants if there are unexpected delays. Plus I think it's a bit unreasonable now that they effectively give no upper bound on the length of time it will take...

Easy go of it?? I should say so!

When did you send your application in?

Do you mean to say last Friday your application had not even begun processing, yet you have your passport in hand today??

Ours rec'd in DC Mar 23, began processing 8 weeks ago to the day (Apr 15) and not here yet despite multiple calls to careline (with no calls back) and $$$ spent. Tomorrow to DC to buy a $157 ETD...

If Careline worked for everyone the way it worked for you, I dare say nobody would have any complaints...