British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Simosa88 Jun 16th 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by renu5idhu (Post 9437345)
Hi all!!

So the lady who was meant to call back from washington hasnt still called me back! i know that my credit card got charged on the 9th of May... and thats it, i spoke to careline last monday and they said to call back in a week, so i too decided to write to the Passport processing manager in Washington yesterday, and yes im from canada and Canada post is on strike lol!! i had two options DHL or Purolator.. i sent it via purolator, now im wondering if a manager will even read it.... Has anyone ever had a call back after sending a letter??

I sent a letter 2 weeks back and didn't get a reply but it was about taking so long to process the fee (I don't know what you wrote in yours, did you ask for a call back?). Why didn't careline just get them to call you? I thought they have done that for some people.

Simosa88 Jun 16th 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by TonyJohns (Post 9437378)
Does anyone know what the Credit card payment looks like on your statement? I am also applying for visas and I want to make sure which is which. thanks

says 'UK consulate washington passport centre' or something along those lines. What passport are you applying for the visa on?

cheryl56 Jun 16th 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9436626)
Success.

Passport arrived today.

timeline

12/04 rcvd
18/05 CC charged
31/05 Careline
13/06 Careline
15/06 Passport

I believe that ran just over 9 weeks

First: Thankyou to Dean.
second: without this problem I would not have found this great site and most of all, great people that populate it.

:thumbsup:

bipinm007 Jun 16th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheryl56 (Post 9437403)
:thumbsup:

Just received my passports -

Basically received by British Embassy DC 2nd April:
CC charged on the 11th May.

Ended up making 2 calls to the careline

Received today - thats about 11.5 weeks start to finish.

Hope this helps

renu5idhu Jun 16th 2011 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9437386)
I sent a letter 2 weeks back and didn't get a reply but it was about taking so long to process the fee (I don't know what you wrote in yours, did you ask for a call back?). Why didn't careline just get them to call you? I thought they have done that for some people.

They told me to call back next monday and they will check to see what is happening... i sent a letter with my actual e-ticket and the wedding card.

TonyJohns Jun 16th 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9437388)
says 'UK consulate washington passport centre' or something along those lines. What passport are you applying for the visa on?

The Visa is for my Japanese wife to enter the uk. The passport is for my son

gecko1 Jun 16th 2011 6:26 pm

Hi,
I've been reading this thread with some alarm! Here's my situation and I hope someone can advise:

I need to travel to England in a little over 3 months (that's 13 weeks and is cutting it fine with the 12 weeks people are mentioning). I have a current British passport, my son's one recently expired. I have the C2 form filled out with passport photos and ready to send. My son also has a current American passport.

So my questions are:

Should I just apply now and hope the passport gets here in time? Is it OK for my son to travel into the UK on his American passport, if it doesn't arrive? If so, he would need to fill in a visa waiver (or rather I'd do it for him, since he's 7)?

What are the best steps to ensure he gets his passport, I've been reading about ETD but am not sure how best to go about this.

I would also consider traveling to a consulate as a last resort, although I would have no idea the best way to do this and whether I'd need to take my son, too.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

mshedden Jun 16th 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by gecko1 (Post 9437499)
Hi,
I've been reading this thread with some alarm! Here's my situation and I hope someone can advise:

I need to travel to England in a little over 3 months (that's 13 weeks and is cutting it fine with the 12 weeks people are mentioning). I have a current British passport, my son's one recently expired. I have the C2 form filled out with passport photos and ready to send. My son also has a current American passport.

So my questions are:

Should I just apply now and hope the passport gets here in time? Is it OK for my son to travel into the UK on his American passport, if it doesn't arrive? If so, he would need to fill in a visa waiver?

What are the best steps to ensure he gets his passport, I've been reading about ETD but am not sure how best to go about this.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Firstly, I know nothing...but...

Somewhere on this forum someone opined that one could use the US passport to satisfy the airlines requirement for having a valid passport for travel, but at UK immigration show the expired UK passport. (Worst case he still has his US passport.)

Then renew the UK passport when in the UK where the delay is nowhere near what it is here in the US.

meauxna Jun 16th 2011 6:34 pm

Hi,

So my questions are:

Should I just apply now and hope the passport gets here in time? Is it OK for my son to travel into the UK on his American passport, if it doesn't arrive? If so, he would need to fill in a visa waiver (or rather I'd do it for him, since he's 7)?

I would also consider traveling to a consulate as a last resort, although I would have no idea the best way to do this and whether I'd need to take my son, too.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Kevin, if it is for a visit, maybe your son should just travel on his US passport. Renew the UK one when he returns? Or while you are in the UK?

gecko1 Jun 16th 2011 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9437509)
Firstly, I know nothing...but...

Somewhere on this forum someone opined that one could use the US passport to satisfy the airlines requirement for having a valid passport for travel, but at UK immigration show the expired UK passport. (Worst case he still has his US passport.)

Then renew the UK passport when in the UK where the delay is nowhere near what it is here in the US.

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9437511)
Kevin, if it is for a visit, maybe your son should just travel on his US passport. Renew the UK one when he returns? Or while you are in the UK?

Thank you both for your quick replies. If it is fine for him to travel into the UK on his US passport (it's just a 2 1/2 week visit) without it affecting his UK citizenship (I don't imagine that it could, but you never know) - then that would probably be more agreeable than going through admin hell that some people have been experiencing.

Then it is just a question of whether to bring his expired passport, or just apply when I return.

I'm not sure the how the process would work for renewing his UK passport in the UK, when living abroad - that's probably for a different thread but are such situations accounted for or has anyone done this?

warmachine Jun 16th 2011 6:51 pm

FINALLY!!!! Got my passport in the mail today.

12 weeks later. Here's the timeline:

SENT = 23rd March
RECEIVED = 24th March
PAYMENT = 15th April
CARELINE CALL = 10th June
PASSPORT RECEIVED = 16th June.

12 weeks, to the day! I hope everyone else gets their passports on time also. Good luck folks.

Jodilynn0330 Jun 16th 2011 6:55 pm

Update: I have received an email from fco.gov.uk in Washington who have informed me (after 10 weeks) the following:
Your application has been processed and payment taken but we are unable to issue a passport for the reasons highlighted below. Your case will remain active for 6 months from the above date; if you have not supplied all supporting documentation requested your application will be rejected and you will not be eligible for a refund.

· Marriage Certificate – The marriage certificate provided is not acceptable for nationality purposes. We require a State issued certificate,
signed by the province/state/country authorities (a certificate issued by the Church is not acceptable). These documents are generally available
from the Officeof Vital records in the USA and Canada.
and
Completed Mothers declaration (link given below) http://www.xpresspassport.com/Docume...claration2.pdf

I sent my marriage certificate I guess I sent the wrong one? I have to go home and search through everything and see if I can find the one they want any advice?

and also... I went through A Briggs to get this for me (the passport) and they had no idea that I needed this stuff and I paid them extra to get the passport for me and hand deliver the information to Washington. I am so depressed. I called them and they simply said: Sometimes the Gov't will ask for additional paperwork depending on the person. So that's it.

:-( I wonder how much more delayed this will be if I get the info to them by Monday?

I have to admit we've had so much bad luck lately that I literally sobbed at my desk from exhaustion over all the things that have happened to us lately. :-( Praying and Hoping for a break at some point!!! :fingerscrossed:

mshedden Jun 16th 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by warmachine (Post 9437533)
FINALLY!!!! Got my passport in the mail today.

12 weeks later. Here's the timeline:

SENT = 23rd March
RECEIVED = 24th March
PAYMENT = 15th April
CARELINE CALL = 10th June
PASSPORT RECEIVED = 16th June.

12 weeks, to the day! I hope everyone else gets their passports on time also. Good luck folks.

Congrats!

Our timeline is identical to yours, except 4 calls to careline and nothing rec'd yet. Went to DC today and got an ETD for my wife who is flying out Monday. I don't need mine until mid July, so hopefully it will show soon...

meauxna Jun 16th 2011 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by gecko1 (Post 9437532)
Thank you both for your quick replies. If it is fine for him to travel into the UK on his US passport (it's just a 2 1/2 week visit) without it affecting his UK citizenship (I don't imagine that it could, but you never know) - then that would probably be more agreeable than going through admin hell that some people have been experiencing.

Then it is just a question of whether to bring his expired passport, or just apply when I return.

I'm not sure the how the process would work for renewing his UK passport in the UK, when living abroad - that's probably for a different thread but are such situations accounted for or has anyone done this?

The US is the one that's funny about only recognizing us as US citizens. He *must* enter/exit the US with a US passport.

The UK doesn't mind. Many dual UK/US folk from here will simply travel on their US passports when visiting the UK. It will not affect his UK citizenship to travel, even to the UK, on a US passport.

There are some past posts about renewing while in the UK. Skim this thread, but the info is probably going to be elsewhere.

Bob Jun 16th 2011 7:35 pm

Hi,

So my questions are:

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

US passport is fine to travel to the UK for a holiday, as long as it's valid for the purpose of the trip and I can't see him having a US criminal record to now allow travel with it :D

Renew in the UK, it'll be quicker and cheaper.