British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Bob Jun 18th 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 9440897)

The countersignatures have to be people who've known a parent (not the child) for two years, with a job on the official list or equivalent 'professional' post, UK passport holders AND UK resident, so the process could require some posting back and forth to get all this together ready for the visit.

And not be direct family I thought too, which complicates things :)

Bob Jun 18th 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9441161)

(My other alternative is to get a US passport straight away when I take the oath on June 30..but honestly I wanted to travel home on my UK passport.)

If you take the oath and become a USC before your trip, you are required to use a US passport anyway.

Hotscot Jun 18th 2011 5:23 pm

"You will need a US passport to return to the USA on.. once you become a citizen you are required to exit and enter the US on your US passport.."

Ok, so the best option is to take my oath and then get the expedited service for a US passport in Los Angeles as soon as I take the oath.

kensha Jun 18th 2011 5:23 pm

Hey everyone..... After many sleepless nights and day dreaming about my passport it finally arrived on the Thur. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The UPS guy must have wondered why I was so happy.... :D

So here's my time line... guess i was one of the lucky ones according to the posts....

Received Apr 21st
CC charged May 26th
Call to careline - June 10th - CC problem
Call to careline - June 12th - successful
Left msg at consulate June 14th
Passport arrived June 16th - Yippee :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for your support Dean. Many thanks also to everyone who posted on the forum that helped getting so much useful info. Hope the backlog will clear soon and everyone's life can go back to normal.

British Consul Jun 18th 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441079)
Maybe tell them you MUST have an Emergency Travel Document ($157) b/c you have a job interview to go to in the UK...or something. Worth a shot.

The British Consulate-General in Miami covers this region.

1001 Brickell Bay Drive
Suite 2800
Miami, FL 33131
(305) 374-3500
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/florida
http://twitter.com/UKinFlorida

We have representatives in some holiday destinations too. So, if you’re in the Orlando area, call (407) 254-3300. If you’re in Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, call (787) 850-2400

No need to lie. You decide whether it's an emergency or not - all you need to do is request an Emergency Travel Document from your nearest British Consulate (phone first to get an appointment). Our staff will issue you with one providing you meet the criteria* and pay the correct fee. You can have up to two issued in any twelve month period.

Outside normal working hours, calls are answered at our Global Response Centre in London, and they will determine whether they need to call a member of staff into the Consulate to issue the document, but that's really the only time we decide whether your emergency is really an emergency.

*you have already been issued with a full British passport that has expired recently (and we can still access the passport record electronically; we can't for any of the old blue passports), is about to expire, or is still valid but is lost, stolen, or unavailable.

Dean

British Consul Jun 18th 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Harmerma (Post 9438138)
TO: DEAN CHURM British Consul & Regional Operations Manager, Southern USA

Surely over 1200 posts tells you how BAD the passport system is in the US. The careline did not help me (tried twice), two letters to the address you gave no reply, one letter to consular, no reply. No possible way of speaking to a human in Washington. Can you at least bring this to the attention of Sir Nigel Sheinwald, the British ambassador in Washington. Now I know why I left Britain. My own case, applied January 2011, no passport but yes you do have my fee!

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

Is this a first time application?

Dean

Bob Jun 18th 2011 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9441410)
*you have already been issued with a full British passport that has expired recently (and we can still access the passport record electronically; we can't for any of the old blue passports), is about to expire, or is still valid but is lost, stolen, or unavailable.

For curiosities sake, what's the definition of "expired recently" with regards to the passport? Within a few months, year, couple years?

As the forms indicate recently expired for a renewal but it can be done as long as the passport is within 10 years before being treated as a new, first time application.

Is it any different here for a ETD?

mshedden Jun 18th 2011 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9441410)

Dean

So is there ANY remedy for a person who needs an ETD due to renewing an old expired blue passport that has not completed processing, and for whom there is no existing electronic record?

British Consul Jun 19th 2011 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9441602)
For curiosities sake, what's the definition of "expired recently" with regards to the passport? Within a few months, year, couple years?

As the forms indicate recently expired for a renewal but it can be done as long as the passport is within 10 years before being treated as a new, first time application.

Is it any different here for a ETD?

Bob,

Generally speaking, we can do it for passports that have expired in the last 10 years but it depends on whether we can access the electronic record, which in turn, depends on where and when the passport was originally issued and what type it is (BC, BOTC, BNO etc). If we can't access the electronic record, we'll try and get access to the archive paper record but that can take time and we may need to do further checks.

Dean

British Consul Jun 19th 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441612)
So is there ANY remedy for a person who needs an ETD due to renewing an old expired blue passport that has not completed processing, and for whom there is no existing electronic record?

In exceptional circumstances an ETD can be issued to first time applicants (we've done it, for example, for seriously ill new borns who have been airlifted into the USA for urgent medical treatment from elsewhere in the Americas or Caribbean). More generally, the onus is on the passport holder to maintain their passport record - they've got 10 years to do it after the passport expires.

Dean

mshedden Jun 19th 2011 12:50 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9441645)
In exceptional circumstances an ETD can be issued to first time applicants (we've done it, for example, for seriously ill new borns who have been airlifted into the USA for urgent medical treatment from elsewhere in the Americas or Caribbean). More generally, the onus is on the passport holder to maintain their passport record - they've got 10 years to do it after the passport expires.

Dean

Well, in my case I'm renewing an expired 'Blue' passport, issued in London 1990, which has been in DC since March 24, started processing Apr 15. If there is no electronic record (you said not for old blue PP), can an ETD be issued? If access to paper records is required, does the consulate need to be contacted further ahead of time to ensure travel date can be met?

Thanks

Malcolm.

British Consul Jun 19th 2011 12:54 am

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441649)
Well, in my case I'm renewing an expired 'Blue' passport, issued in London 1990, which has been in DC since March 24, started processing Apr 15. If there is no electronic record (you said not for old blue PP), can an ETD be issued? If access to paper records is required, does the consulate need to be contacted further ahead of time to ensure travel date can be met?

Thanks

Malcolm.

Apologies, but we can't issue an ETD to you. You've done the correct thing in applying for a replacement from the UK Passport Service.

Dean

mshedden Jun 19th 2011 1:00 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9441652)
Apologies, but we can't issue an ETD to you. You've done the correct thing in applying for a replacement from the UK Passport Service.

Dean

I have not applied for renewal in the UK as I am resident in the US. I applied for renewal of my expired Blue PP in the US (Washington DC) in March. I obtained the original blue PP in the UK in 1990 before coming to the US in 1990. I am a green card holder (permanent US resident).

I am wanting to travel the the UK middle of July. Can an ETD be issued to me if my passport is not ready by the middle of July?

Thanks

Malcolm

JAJ Jun 19th 2011 2:25 am

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441659)
I have not applied for renewal in the UK as I am resident in the US. I applied for renewal of my expired Blue PP in the US (Washington DC) in March. I obtained the original blue PP in the UK in 1990 before coming to the US in 1990. I am a green card holder (permanent US resident).

I am wanting to travel the the UK middle of July. Can an ETD be issued to me if my passport is not ready by the middle of July?

If you look at the IATA requirements through Delta's website, an expired British citizen passport is acceptable for travel to the United Kingdom.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

And coming back to the USA, a green card on its own may be enough.

In hindsight, might it have been a good idea to have become a US citizen?

As you may not get your passport in time, I'd suggest you start talking to your airline now and get a confirmation in writing from them that this is all the documentation you need - you don't want to have that discussion at check-in.

In hindsight, might it have been worthwhile to have become a US citizen?

mshedden Jun 19th 2011 3:22 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9441749)
If you look at the IATA requirements through Delta's website, an expired British citizen passport is acceptable for travel to the United Kingdom.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

And coming back to the USA, a green card on its own may be enough.

In hindsight, might it have been a good idea to have become a US citizen?

As you may not get your passport in time, I'd suggest you start talking to your airline now and get a confirmation in writing from them that this is all the documentation you need - you don't want to have that discussion at check-in.

In hindsight, might it have been worthwhile to have become a US citizen?

Yes, I suppose if I had US Citizenship this would not be a problem (if I had a US Passport).

It may be true in theory that you can get into the UK with an expired UK passport, but practically speaking I suspect its going to be next to impossible to board a plane in the US without a valid passport of some kind, and that goes double for re-entry into the US. Especially since 9/11

Fingers crossed that DC passport office can get the job done in 12 weeks from the point payment taken, in which case I will be OK... but its the uncertainty that is the killer...