British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

agrahamt Jun 20th 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Hi Dean,
I am a longtime US permanent resident living in Houston and have a red UK passport which expired Nov. 2010.
I am scheduled to travel to London July 30 and sent in my passport (having scanned it beforehand) and application on June 5. Unfortunately I accidentally left out my passport photos and sent them in the following day with a letter asking that they be attached to my application.
Regardless, it looks like even if it gets attached correctly I may not have time to to get my renewed passport and therefore need an "ETD" - how would I go about doing this? I know there is a British consulate in Houston but was transferred to the British-based helpline when I called.
Any way you can help me out with this or provide suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Andrew Taylor
Houston, TX

lansbury Jun 20th 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by agrahamt (Post 9444574)
I may not have time to to get my renewed passport and therefore need an "ETD" - how would I go about doing this?

The information is on the Embassy web site.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s/short-notice

LP9 Jun 20th 2011 4:35 pm

So who you gotta screw around here to get a passport? :rofl:

PandG Jun 20th 2011 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9444696)

No kidding! :eek:

LP9 Jun 20th 2011 4:50 pm

There is always their Twitter account if anyone feels like getting a little campaign going. I'm sure we can come up with a clever hashtag for it.

lyonsden1193 Jun 20th 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9444696)

Amy Winehouse
Boy George
Anthony Weiner

Take your pick...

I honestly thought that the splitting of new apps and renewals (as mentioned by Dean) would have speeded up the process.

Sue Jun 20th 2011 6:02 pm

We are seeing a number of people trying to navigate the 3 post rule in order to pm Dean. Two things:
  1. The 3 post rule is there for a reason and we would appreciate you don't try to get around it.
  2. Please spare some thought for Dean who must be getting inundated with PM's and remember he doesn't work at the PO.

I suggest that people take the time to read through the last 20 or so pages of this thread, as well as the passport thread that is stuck at the top of the US forum, as a lot of the information that you are seeking has already been posted by members, and Dean himself. In doing so you will safe a lot of time for yourself and others.

I also ask that members refrain from posting the names of individuals who work at the PO on a public forum. They are entitled to their privacy.

Thanks.

PandG Jun 20th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9444937)
We are seeing a number of people trying to navigate the 3 post rule in order to pm Dean. Two things:
  1. The 3 post rule is there for a reason and we would appreciate you don't try to get around it.
  2. Please spare some thought for Dean who must be getting inundated with PM's and remember he doesn't work at the PO.

I suggest that people take the time to read through the last 20 or so pages of this thread, as well as the passport thread that is stuck at the top of the US forum, as a lot of the information that you are seeking has already been posted by members, and Dean himself. In doing so you will safe a lot of time for yourself and others.

I also ask that members refrain from posting the names of individuals who work at the PO on a public forum. They are entitled to their privacy.

Thanks.

And with respect we are entitled to some service.

ian-mstm Jun 20th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by PandG (Post 9444941)

You are not entitled to personal service from Dean... and certainly not via BE.

Ian

LP9 Jun 20th 2011 6:08 pm

Timely service.

Its probably only poor old Dean that sees this thread, and its not his fault that the office is failing miserably. Probably lucky that he is offering assistance here at all.

PandG Jun 20th 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9444949)
You are not entitled to personal service from Dean... and certainly not via BE.

Ian

I never said I was?

PandG Jun 20th 2011 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9444952)
Timely service.

Its probably only poor old Dean that sees this thread, and its not his fault that the office is failing miserably. Probably lucky that he is offering assistance here at all.

How about any service at all - let alone timely.

Not sure how this turned into a thing about Dean anyway.

The system's a mess, we have a overpriced "help-line" (the irony of that name hasn't gone unnoticed), and no means to track online. Why is it all so cloak and dagger?

LP9 Jun 20th 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by PandG (Post 9444966)
How about any service at all - let alone timely.

Not sure how this turned into a thing about Dean anyway.

The system's a mess, we have a overpriced "help-line" (the irony of that name hasn't gone unnoticed), and no means to track online. Why is it all so cloak and dagger?

I agree that the help line is inadequate, and probably should be free, after all you are paying for the phone call anyhow. And the lack of tracking in this day and age.....I really don't what to say about that.

Sue Jun 20th 2011 6:16 pm

I know you must be very frustrated, but please understand it isn't fair to post a persons first and last name, and the place of their work, on a public forum without their consent.

It's unfortunate that the back-log has caused the delay in them contacting you regarding additional information they require, but I'm sure the person who emailed you is just doing his job, and thus doesn't deserve to have his privacy breached in this manner.

Hopefully you will get this sorted soon and all will be well.

Sue Jun 20th 2011 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9444974)
I agree that the help line is inadequate, and probably should be free, after all you are paying for the phone call anyhow. And the lack of tracking in this day and age.....I really don't what to say about that.

Indeed, the lack of information regarding the status of ones' application is certainly not helping the situation that's for sure. That, plus the additional cost incurred calling the careline. I'd imagine that just adds salt to the wound.