British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

aml1982 Jun 17th 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Passport Delays

I figured since most people on here have been posting negative stories about the Careline, I should post a positive one - just rang them using Skype, was on hold for almost 15 minutes, and when my call was finally picked up the Skype dialpad wasn't working properly and they couldn't process my card details. When I explained that my question was general in nature and wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to answer, the lady at the other end said not to worry about the payment and told me to go ahead, and then answered my query. Very nice of her, and a pleasant surprise given most of the opinions I have read.

jenmar100 Jun 18th 2011 3:30 am

Originally Posted by jenmar100 (Post 9432881)
I sent my daughter's passport renewal application on April 22nd and it was received on April 24th (per UPS website). I sent a certified bankers check along with the application. I received the green certified mail receipt on 18th May).
We are hoping to travel to the UK in ten days. I am concerned by reports on here that passports are taking way longer than the 4-6 weeks processing time quoted on the British Embassy website!
I called the careline two weeks ago and was told that we were 'not on the system' and to call back in a few days. I called back again a few days later and was told that the payment was taken on 19th May but that my application could not be escalated until three weeks after payment!! So I called back on 10th June, I was told that someone from Washington would call me back before Tuesday. Today is Tuesday and I have not received a call back, so I called the careline for a fourth time (who knows how much this is all going to cost!!!) and I spoke to a very helpful girl who told me that we are at the data entry stage. Does anyone have a timeline from data entry stage?
I am starting to panic now. When should I call the embassy to get the ETD? IS it something I can get the day before travel?

I received my daughters passport today (9 weeks exactly from when it was received and 4 weeks from time payment was taken). I really think the four calls to the careline helped (it has cost about $30 but we have the passport). I spoke to Becky (at Careline) this week, who was very efficient and helpful. She told me she would do all in her power to get me the passport in time for our trip and followed through. Hopefully you guys will get yours soon too!

renu5idhu Jun 18th 2011 4:40 am

Originally Posted by jenmar100 (Post 9440383)
I received my daughters passport today (9 weeks exactly from when it was received and 4 weeks from time payment was taken). I really think the four calls to the careline helped (it has cost about $30 but we have the passport). I spoke to Becky (at Careline) this week, who was very efficient and helpful. She told me she would do all in her power to get me the passport in time for our trip and followed through. Hopefully you guys will get yours soon too!

thats great.

kodokan Jun 18th 2011 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9438715)
No countersignatures are needed for renewals in-person unless ones appearance has changed drastically from the current passport's photo.

It will cost GBP 129.50 (GBP 109.50 for a child)

The same day service is brilliant, hubby and I did our passports on it last year. Phoning 2 weeks in advance is best for London appointments.

Do note, though, that renewing a child passport ALWAYS requires countersignatures - we didn't need them for our adult renewals, but will need them for when we go to the UK in a couple of weeks to get the kids' passports renewed.

The countersignatures have to be people who've known a parent (not the child) for two years, with a job on the official list or equivalent 'professional' post, UK passport holders AND UK resident, so the process could require some posting back and forth to get all this together ready for the visit.

LP9 Jun 18th 2011 2:54 pm

Cheesed off with the whole passport situation. I just want to go home. My passport has been with them 4 weeks now, and they haven't charged me as of this moment, so lord knows how much longer it will take. :thumbdown:

I'm really glad I found out about the delay here, but at the same time I wish I hadn't. Keep the updates coming......never know they might start speeding up.

mshedden Jun 18th 2011 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9441047)
Cheesed off with the whole passport situation. I just want to go home. My passport has been with them 4 weeks now, and they haven't charged me as of this moment, so lord knows how much longer it will take. :thumbdown:

I'm really glad I found out about the delay here, but at the same time I wish I hadn't. Keep the updates coming......never know they might start speeding up.

Breaking News...

Thousands of Britons detained in the US against their will, charged $150 per hour to negotiate with their jailers, minimum sentence 3 months, no time off for good behaviour. Fortunately, the guards can be bribed for $157...

LP9 Jun 18th 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441060)
Breaking News...

Thousands of Britons detained in the US against their will, charged $150 per hour to negotiate with their jailers, minimum sentence 3 months, no time off for good behaviour. Fortunately, the guards can be bribed for $157...

I'm leaving for good mate, so it feels that way. I just want to go and start over. Going stir crazy sitting here doing nothing.

mshedden Jun 18th 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9441062)
I'm leaving for good mate, so it feels that way. I just want to go and start over. Going stir crazy sitting here doing nothing.

Maybe tell them you MUST have an Emergency Travel Document ($157) b/c you have a job interview to go to in the UK...or something. Worth a shot.

The British Consulate-General in Miami covers this region.

1001 Brickell Bay Drive
Suite 2800
Miami, FL 33131
(305) 374-3500
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/florida
http://twitter.com/UKinFlorida

We have representatives in some holiday destinations too. So, if you’re in the Orlando area, call (407) 254-3300. If you’re in Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, call (787) 850-2400

LP9 Jun 18th 2011 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441079)
Maybe tell them you MUST have an Emergency Travel Document ($157) b/c you have a job interview to go to in the UK...or something. Worth a shot.

The British Consulate-General in Miami covers this region.

1001 Brickell Bay Drive
Suite 2800
Miami, FL 33131
(305) 374-3500
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/florida
http://twitter.com/UKinFlorida

We have representatives in some holiday destinations too. So, if you’re in the Orlando area, call (407) 254-3300. If you’re in Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, call (787) 850-2400

Yeah I might have to call that nice Scottish fella in Orlando again, and see what can be done. He was great months ago, when I was short of supporting documentation.

Dont think I'll be asking for an emergency travel document quite yet. I'll give it some time and see how desperate I get.

As far Ian's post.....I tend to agree, cant bring myself to lie to them to be fair.

ian-mstm Jun 18th 2011 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441079)
Maybe tell them you MUST have an Emergency Travel Document ($157) b/c you have a job interview to go to in the UK...or something.

Excuse me... are you suggesting he deliberately lie to HM's government? Respectfully, that cheapens everyone who has a legitimate need for an ETD.

Ian

mshedden Jun 18th 2011 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9441105)
Excuse me... are you suggesting he deliberately lie to HM's government? Respectfully, that cheapens everyone who has a legitimate need for an ETD.

Ian

Nope, not at all. The man indicated he wanted to 'start over' in the UK, rather than sitting on his arse in FL due to the gross inefficiencies of the DC passport service. That would seem me to be a more pressing need than most. If you want to go off at someone for 'lying' get out your CC, give Careline a call, and support HM Govt all at the same time.

LP9 Jun 18th 2011 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 9441127)
Nope, not at all. The man indicated he wanted to 'start over' in the UK, rather than sitting on his arse in FL due to the gross inefficiencies of the DC passport service. That would seem me to be a more pressing need than most. If you want to go off at someone for 'lying' get out your CC, give Careline a call, and support HM Govt all at the same time.

Yeah it is a tad more pressing than just a holiday or visit, but like I said, they've had it 4 weeks. Just have to see what happens.

Hotscot Jun 18th 2011 4:41 pm

They've had my passport for five weeks now.
Just got notification that cc was charged yesterday.

I'm supposed to travel in one month. Wonder about the chances of receiving it in time.

Regarding the ETD. I've heard that I can only use it to go to the UK but not use it to return to the US...can anyone please confirm this?

(My other alternative is to get a US passport straight away when I take the oath on June 30..but honestly I wanted to travel home on my UK passport.)

mshedden Jun 18th 2011 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9441161)
They've had my passport for five weeks now.
Just got notification that cc was charged yesterday.

I'm supposed to travel in one month. Wonder about the chances of receiving it in time.

Regarding the ETD. I've heard that I can only use it to go to the UK but not use it to return to the US...can anyone please confirm this?

(My other alternative is to get a US passport straight away when I take the oath on June 30..but honestly I wanted to travel home on my UK passport.)

FYI, I'm at 8 weeks since processing started (payment taken), so your chances are not looking good, but who knows, each case is apparently different.

The ETD can be used for a 'single trip' with up to 5 stops. It can be used for a round trip to the UK and back. That is what my wife is doing on Mon - and they checked her itinerary before issuing it, so that is accurate. However, it is only good for the one trip and expires at the end of your itinerary, in my wifes case, a month later.

candy wy. Jun 18th 2011 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9441161)

You will need a US passport to return to the USA on.. once you become a citizen you are required to exit and enter the US on your US passport..