British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Bob Jun 11th 2011 10:09 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by vanfan1 (Post 9425265)
Yes I do hold the government to blame for this, it's their mess that they created with the whole restructuring. I don't think they have to hire numb nut seasonals for minimum wage though, there are many unemployed americans out there that are highly intelligent and have a lot of work experience that would be glad of the job and work hard. With the amount we all pay for processing fees they should earn a good wage too not minimum.
I am sure that those at responsible for processing in Washington are working as hard as they can, I do feel sympathetic toward them because I'm sure it is stressful to have a never ending mountain of work.

Living in Vancouver it would have been so much easier to send my passport to Ottawa, shame they stopped that.

But what would the point have been in spending the money to hire and train a bunch of people just to let them go within weeks if the processing was moved to the UK as planned?

And judging by what some of these consulate jobs pay, it really wouldn't be far above minimum wage.

trinbrit Jun 11th 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9426471)
But what would the point have been in spending the money to hire and train a bunch of people just to let them go within weeks if the processing was moved to the UK as planned?

And judging by what some of these consulate jobs pay, it really wouldn't be far above minimum wage.

Maybe if all on this side are being done in DC then all the people who used to do it in n and s america and caribbean could do it as they already know what to do? Just a thought

Bob Jun 12th 2011 12:08 am

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9426562)
Maybe if all on this side are being done in DC then all the people who used to do it in n and s america and caribbean could do it as they already know what to do? Just a thought

They'd not be work authorised in the US though

Linden.g Jun 12th 2011 12:28 am

Has anyone had any "joy" with Careline or managed to get their money back from their CC company?

It seems a lot of money to be told that your passoprt is being "processed" and nothing else. If you check out the Careline website it tells "stories" of how helpfull and wonder full they are lets just say I have not laughed so much in a long time:rofl:

Shirlie

Jerseygirl Jun 12th 2011 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Linden.g (Post 9426647)
Has anyone had any "joy" with Careline or managed to get their money back from their CC company?

It seems a lot of money to be told that your passoprt is being "processed" and nothing else. If you check out the Careline website it tells "stories" of how helpfull and wonder full they are lets just say I have not laughed so much in a long time:rofl:

Shirlie

I don't understand why you want your money back...don't you want a new PP? Cancelling payment will only delay matters further.

Linden.g Jun 12th 2011 2:24 pm

I have my passport I just wanted to know if "Careline" had helped anyone or if anyone had complained and had been refunded their 69p +VAT
Shirlie
:(

ian-mstm Jun 12th 2011 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Linden.g (Post 9427718)
I just wanted to know if "Careline" had helped anyone or if anyone had complained and had been refunded their 69p +VAT

I doubt you can. You're paying for the phone service... not necessarily satisfactory answers from the Careline. One way or the other, you were connected to the person on the other end.

Ian

JAJ Jun 12th 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9427761)
I doubt you can. You're paying for the phone service... not necessarily satisfactory answers from the Careline. One way or the other, you were connected to the person on the other end.

Would it be worth disputing the charge with the credit card company, if no meaningful service was received?

Jerseygirl Jun 12th 2011 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9427977)
Would it be worth disputing the charge with the credit card company, if no meaningful service was received?

The CC company would only reimburse you if the PP hasn't been received. Surely the object is to obtain a new PP...no matter how long it takes. If you cancel because of bad service...and your money is refunded that still leaves you without a PP.

Bob Jun 12th 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9428084)
The CC company would only reimburse you if the PP hasn't been received. Surely the object is to obtain a new PP...no matter how long it takes. If you cancel because of bad service...and your money is refunded that still leaves you without a PP.

I think they're talking about the cost of the phone call to Careline, which is a premium rate number you have to give your creditcard details over to use, rather than claiming back the cost of the passport application.

Jerseygirl Jun 12th 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9428165)
I think they're talking about the cost of the phone call to Careline, which is a premium rate number you have to give your creditcard details over to use, rather than claiming back the cost of the passport application.

Oh I see...apologies for getting confused. :)

eanne06 Jun 13th 2011 4:22 am

I am in the same boat as many of you, but I am only at the beginning of what seems will be a grueling process. I am a first-time passport applicant, UK citizen by descent. Here are some detail about my situation and I would appreciate any help any one can offer.

I was born in the US, father was born in UK. Currently living in Florida
Passport arrived in DC June 2
I sent all original document with the possible exception of my birth certificate. It was the only copy I had and I was sure if it was an original or not. I sent original birth registration card, social security card, two bank statements and copies of current US passport, drivers license, and student id. I sent originals of all of my father's paperwork including his birth cert, original UK passport, marriage cert, and divorce cert.
I am due to leave the State July 4
I will be in DC this week

My questions are as follows:
If my birth cert. is a copy will this cause delays in my application, even though I sent all the other supporting documents?
Who has been called in for an interview? Am I likely to be called in?
Is it a bad idea to leave the States on my US passport? The UK passport is supposed to go to my father's house, but I don't know if I should stick around and see if they call me in for an interview.
Do you think going to the UK embassy in DC and talking to them would do anything?

I am very upset at the expected delay in processing time. They put a disclaimer on their website, which I either didn't notice or they didn't post until after I submitted my application.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My sympathies go out to all the passport seekers that are being jerked around too.

eanne06 Jun 13th 2011 4:34 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8667324)
I've responded to your PM. The UPS tracking numbers are part of a batch issued to the UK Passport Service. The tracking information usually kicks in within 24 hours of the passport leaving Passport Service operations.

Dean

Dean,

I am a Fulbright grant recipient and will be leaving the country July 4 (much earlier than originally expected). I am a US citizen and UK citizen by descent. I sent my application for a first-time UK passport in June 2 and it arrived June 3 in DC. I will be in DC next week for a fews days. Will making a stop at the embassy to talk to someone about the passport do anything? I live in Florida. Will making a trip to my Florida UK consulates do anything? I am desperate to get this passport, or at least the interview before I leave July 4. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Simosa88 Jun 13th 2011 6:01 am

Guys I just called careline and my application is not showing up in the careline system but payment was taken 10 days ago. I am really worried. Has anyone else experienced this? I am so worried I need it back for the end of June. Please could somebody advise?

trinbrit Jun 13th 2011 10:39 am

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9428680)
I am in the same boat as many of you, but I am only at the beginning of what seems will be a grueling process. I am a first-time passport applicant, UK citizen by descent. Here are some detail about my situation and I would appreciate any help any one can offer.

I was born in the US, father was born in UK. Currently living in Florida
Passport arrived in DC June 2
I sent all original document with the possible exception of my birth certificate. It was the only copy I had and I was sure if it was an original or not. I sent original birth registration card, social security card, two bank statements and copies of current US passport, drivers license, and student id. I sent originals of all of my father's paperwork including his birth cert, original UK passport, marriage cert, and divorce cert.
I am due to leave the State July 4
I will be in DC this week

My questions are as follows:
If my birth cert. is a copy will this cause delays in my application, even though I sent all the other supporting documents?
Who has been called in for an interview? Am I likely to be called in?
Is it a bad idea to leave the States on my US passport? The UK passport is supposed to go to my father's house, but I don't know if I should stick around and see if they call me in for an interview.
Do you think going to the UK embassy in DC and talking to them would do anything?

I am very upset at the expected delay in processing time. They put a disclaimer on their website, which I either didn't notice or they didn't post until after I submitted my application.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My sympathies go out to all the passport seekers that are being jerked around too.

hey eanne06

Well i sent in for my first time PP and was told by Ian (really nice chap and actually spoke to him about 3 or 4 times which i have proof via phone bill and cc payment for the call which will show the tel operator at the time of call) at the PP care line in what i now believe is in Scotland,
as that i too am citizen by descent and sent my documents off to DC on the 1st of April and was received in DC on the 4th Apr,The payment was taken out of my Acct on the 16th of may and it is now the 13th of June...
i was told by Ian at the PP care line that all i needed was copies of my current PP which i sent copies of all three that i have,my original birth certificate and my dads original British Document and that i would be fine with that app they want to see that your parents were married before or after your birth(depending on if that you were born before the 1st Jan 1983 as the citizen by descent is only done once through a generation and that's that,
i was informed from Dean at the Embassy who took the time to read queries and replied that new applicants will be poss be taking as long as 8 to 12 wks after payment is taken so i hope that helps. So if you love Britain as much as me then you will some how find the patience mate.