British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Jerseygirl Jun 6th 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9414126)
I've also got a quick Qn about ETD's my nearest embassy location is 400 miles away in Atlanta... so its not just a pop down the road job. How early will they let you qualify for ETD?? because if I have to fly to ATL I have to book Air tkts etc.

Thanks for any advice.


Originally Posted by hummingbird_flutterby (Post 9414529)
Sorry - just have to post one more so I can PM Dean. :)

I could be wrong but I think Dean answered that question recently. Read through this thread carefully...there's loads of info...particularly Dean's posts before you PM him.

lyonsden1193 Jun 6th 2011 9:50 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
JerseyGirl.... Couldn't find anything about ETD's relating to timing and distance form Consulate in threads and certainly not going to PM Dean until desperate... if you or anyone comes across the answer I'd really appreciate it. Will need to beg boss for couple of days off and get airtran to cough up airfares at semi reasonable prices .. if poss...or priceline!!

British Consul Jun 6th 2011 9:56 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9414593)
I could be wrong but I think Dean answered that question recently. Read through this thread carefully...there's loads of info...particularly Dean's posts before you PM him.

It varies on a case by case basis.

Dean

Jerseygirl Jun 6th 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9414640)
JerseyGirl.... Couldn't find anything about ETD's relating to timing and distance form Consulate in threads and certainly not going to PM Dean until desperate... if you or anyone comes across the answer I'd really appreciate it. Will need to beg boss for couple of days off and get airtran to cough up airfares at semi reasonable prices .. if poss...or priceline!!

OK thanks...I must have been mistaken by other ETD info Dean posted.

For anyone wanting info you can read through all Dean's posts by clicking here. Scroll down and click on 'Find all posts by British Consul'.

Jerseygirl Jun 6th 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9414647)
It varies on a case by case basis.

Dean

Are you telepathic or just lurking? :lol:

Brigette Jun 6th 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a bind. I am a British citizen and plan on moving back to the UK next year. I need my passport but I am never home to sign for it. Has anyone ever received their passport at their place of employment? Thanks so much

Jerseygirl Jun 6th 2011 10:29 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 9414729)
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a bind. I am a British citizen and plan on moving back to the UK next year. I need my passport but I am never home to sign for it. Has anyone ever received their passport at their place of employment? Thanks so much

If you're not home the carrier usually leaves a note stating where it can be collected.

DanniU Jun 6th 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by DanniU (Post 9414211)
yes it is a renewal, but when you call the consulate there is no option on the automated answer to select a human, only to leave a message to request an appointment. would love to speak to someone… waiting for a call back is killing me

Quick Update. A wonderful lady at the consulate did call me back. I have an appointment to go there 4 days before travel. She already did a check on me and my son, all is well, and so I need to turn up with a bunch of info and ID, and ETD's will be issued if the passport has not arrived. Very impressed with her. Lovely lady… I still hope though that the passports will come through. Will keep you posted. She did say to call her a week before the appointment so she can try and call washington.

davidru Jun 6th 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Passport Delays
 
Hello,

Apologies for another passport question...My passport is currently awaiting renewal (no charge on the credit card yet :( ), and I would very much like to travel to England a week on friday (17th). Is it possible just to get the passport back, since it doesn't actually expire until the end of July, and renew it in London myself ? I would be happy to drive to Washington! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
David

P.S. I think the '4 weeks' thing on the fco website could be made a bit clearer...

British Consul Jun 7th 2011 12:56 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9414656)
Are you telepathic or just lurking? :lol:

:thumbup:

British Consul Jun 7th 2011 12:57 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by davidru (Post 9414815)
Hello,

Apologies for another passport question...My passport is currently awaiting renewal (no charge on the credit card yet :( ), and I would very much like to travel to England a week on friday (17th). Is it possible just to get the passport back, since it doesn't actually expire until the end of July, and renew it in London myself ? I would be happy to drive to Washington! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
David

P.S. I think the '4 weeks' thing on the fco website could be made a bit clearer...

Call the Passport Information Helpline and see if they can help.

Dean

sachminu Jun 7th 2011 1:05 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
ok, just got an update from USPS. My application was re-delivered and a person named <snip> signed for it at 3pm today.

now its just a waiting game.

davidru Jun 7th 2011 2:01 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9415030)
Call the Passport Information Helpline and see if they can help.

Dean

Ok, thanks. I've called them today, hopefully Washington will get back to me soon.

Cheers,
David

shak Jun 7th 2011 3:25 am

Re: Passport Delays
 
Wow...this thread is making me nervous! I wish I looked this up before...
I need to renew my passport, I will be sending my form on Wednesday...I'll be traveling on a one way ticket back to London on August 3rd(passport expires on the 2nd). I really hope I get my passport by then.

Just to be sure, it seems that the best thing to do is send by UPS or FedEx and not USPS?
Using a credit card/debit card instead of a money order so that I can see when they've taken the money out...
Having the picture taken at Walgreens, since they have a "UK Passport" option... am I on the right track here?

By what date should I really be worried...A week before I travel?

As another option...should I just bump up my date of travel by a few days and just renew my passport when I get to the UK? I'm not sure how close to the expiry I would be able to travel...but it expires Aug 2nd, could I perhaps travel up to that date?

Brigette Jun 7th 2011 5:26 am

Re: Passport Delays
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9414742)
If you're not home the carrier usually leaves a note stating where it can be collected.

OK... I'm going to go with what you've said then and use my home address and send it in. Thanks


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:51 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.