Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Police shot in Dallas

Wikiposts

Police shot in Dallas

Old Jul 9th 2016, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police shot in Dallas

Originally Posted by Boiler
So, there's no problem, then. Perception is NOT reality. Statistics don't lie...
Old Jul 9th 2016, 2:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's a pity the 2,000 sustained complaints wasn't further broken down to hospital admissions and deaths.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
So, there's no problem, then. Perception is NOT reality. Statistics don't lie...
Well we all know they do, but there needs to be a certain element of reality.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 5:34 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do. And I think one of the problems with Police-versus-private-gangs is that the Police in each community are just another gang. The look after their own, and deny anybody else the right to punish them for doing wrong. That's what gangs do. They have a great advantage in that it's only their gang that has the legal right to carry guns - and to use them at the discretion of the individual gang-members.

Until this situation is recognised, the fierce resentment of them won't go away. The situation is not unique to the USA; here in the Caribbean it exists in Jamaica too - but not in my Island of Cayman. Reason? Here, our Police aren't armed. That makes all the difference.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
As long as we allow gun fetishists to control public policy, police have to assume that everybody is armed.

The question is not whether or not police will be willing to go into black neighborhoods in the future. The real question is why in the world would anybody want to be a police officer in a country where any fool who wants to can legally arm themselves with stockpiles of military grade weapons?

I thought that all we would ever need is a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun? Don't cops qualify as 'good guys'.
By blaming guns for violence you absolve the people perpetuating violence and that is one reason why the homicide is so high in the Black community.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:03 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
By blaming guns for violence you absolve the people perpetuating violence and that is one reason why the homicide is so high in the Black community.
I'm not absolving anybody. I'm saying exactly what police are saying and what anybody with a modicum of common sense could figure out for themselves.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

For those who seem to lost the plot:

This shooting didn't happen in a "black neighborhood". It happened in an affluent business district. The shooter wasn't a gang member or career criminal.

I'm pleased that all of you gun lovers are so concerned about inner city violence though. It's an important topic.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

...one of the problems with Police-versus-private-gangs is that the Police in each community are just another gang. They look after their own, and deny anybody else the right to punish them for doing wrong. That's what gangs do. They have a great advantage in that it's only their gang that has the legal right to carry guns - and to use them at the discretion of the individual gang-members. Until this situation is recognised, the fierce resentment of them won't go away.
Houston Official Calls for Form of Segregation: Only Blacks Can Police Black Communities
Huh. There will be two legally armed gangs above the law in each community, now! Nice going, chaps.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

26,000 complains for 670,000 officers. That equates to 1 complaint for every 400 officers. So it you travel past a cop once a week , you stand a chance of filing a complaint once every 8 years, or about 10 times in an average persons lifetime.

Correct me if my maths is wrong.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I was camping in the rain forest, and despite trying to catch up, I am sure I am missing many pieces; but I am surprised that the bombing of a suspect has caused so little comment. It feels like a Rubicon, that the police should not be using such weapons, the reasons I have read are that they were not sure where he was or what he was doing, why not a camera on the robot instead of a bomb? Unless he had his hand on a detonator, and maybe something like that will come out as more information is released, but from the little I have read, the bomb was an answer to unknowns, rather than knowledge.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:06 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I was camping in the rain forest, and despite trying to catch up, I am sure I am missing many pieces; but I am surprised that the bombing of a suspect has caused so little comment. It feels like a Rubicon, that the police should not be using such weapons, the reasons I have read are that they were not sure where he was or what he was doing, why not a camera on the robot instead of a bomb? Unless he had his hand on a detonator, and maybe something like that will come out as more information is released, but from the little I have read, the bomb was an answer to unknowns, rather than knowledge.
I agree. Often patience by the police could end stand offs.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
26,000 complains for 670,000 officers. That equates to 1 complaint for every 400 officers. So it you travel past a cop once a week , you stand a chance of filing a complaint once every 8 years, or about 10 times in an average persons lifetime.

Correct me if my maths is wrong.
I can't see the video, but 26000 complaints for 670,000 officers is roughly one complaint per 25 officers. Is that a yearly figure?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:15 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The DPD will release the radio records once they've been transcribed and analyzed. I think it will be interesting but I don't know how much more we could learn.

In this particular situation I can't imagine the police were all that interested in taking him alive. He had just shot around 15 people and was promising to shoot more. He was armed and claiming that he had bombs. SWAT was trying to kill him but couldn't get a direct shot without giving up their protected position and exposing officers to return fire. Most of the cops that were shot that night were the ones responding to the 'officer down' calls. They negotiated with him for two hours but, IMO, they only did that because they couldn't get him dead sooner. Hundreds of people were trapped down there for hours because it was too dangerous to come out of hiding. They offered him the chance to come out alive and he laughed at him. His death was inevitable, the method was unique but the result was exactly what the killer had forced them into doing - suicide by cop.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
The DPD will release the radio records once they've been transcribed and analyzed. I think it will be interesting but I don't know how much more we could learn.
and maybe edited
Old Jul 12th 2016, 11:06 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by mrken30
and maybe edited
I don't think there's much they'll edit out unless it's out of sensitivity for the families of the dead. They're not exactly trying to white-wash the fact that they blew the guy up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.