Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Police shot in Dallas

Wikiposts

Police shot in Dallas

Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police shot in Dallas

Originally Posted by Leslie
There are a lot of black police officers and both the DART chief and DPD chief are black.

Stop talking about these groups as if they're two separate monoliths.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:29 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Exactly.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Where can you rent a tiger?
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i am gutted by this. I know 2 DPD officers personally and they are good people. Dallas PD has a good reputation and is seen as one of the better city police depts in the country.

the whole local community is sad and distressed and trying to figure out what we can do to help.
Right. 'Gutted' really is the best word to describe how it feels.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
The city we live in has a population of 250,000. Not really small town, but not Atlanta either. My kid has a degree. He never wanted to do anything else. All I can is support him and hope he gets a pay raise soon so he can move out!
I'm sure your kid is good but I've met a fair few US cops and all appeared to have John McClane syndrome, i.e. itching for some heavily armed guys to take over their local Dunkin' Donuts.

There are some serious training issues, and maybe recruitment issues, that need addressing here.

Saying that, I don't believe there's a lot of conscious racism by the cops here. These recent shootings are the result of the Black-man bogeyman; it's cops unconsiously giving less leeway to black people because we are all bombarded with three types of black males - sports stars, rappers, and criminals. If you're not Black and driving a Mercedes then you're the latter.

Just my 2c of course.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately similar people quite often get tarred with the same brush. Baton Rouge Police were in the press after Katrina. This is a quote from one of the stories. Troopers made complaints but nothing ever happened.

"Troopers described Baton Rouge officers as being loud and rude to African-Americans but polite to whites. It quotes one as saying Baton Rouge officers referred to black people as "animals" that needed to be beaten down."

The racial element is quite ingrained in some of the US society which I personally find difficult to comprehend. For instance black people were prevented from buying real estate in my state right up until 1927. Not sure about other States.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree with this (and the rest of your post).

My thoughts on the Minnesota traffic stop were the same as most traffic stops that go bad - when a police officer approaches your car, keep your hands clearly visible on the wheel, and don't make any sudden moves. Ideally have the window already open, and your wallet/license visible on the dash before the officer approaches your car - if your wallet/license aren't already out as the officer approaches your car, stop digging for them and put your hands on the wheel. What ever movement you want to make, (i) tell the officer what you're doing, (ii) do it slowly, and (iii) avoid as far as possible doing anything that the officer can't see clearly.

It doesn't make any difference if you're back, white, or green with blue spots, it only makes sense to make your interactions with a police offer as low stress as absolutely possible.
My first police experience here was being stopped for speeding in Chicago. When I pulled over I took off my seat belt and reached for the glove box to retrieve my registration - of course totally the wrong moves.

It took the cop 15 minutes to come to my window and when he did he had his hand on his pistol.

But, I can't help thinking one day I'll be telling my son to stay out of trouble before he goes out. But a Black father needs to add... also don't act suspicious, or look at someone wrong, or drive with a broken tail light, or wear a hoodie, etc etc.

I would think most people would be perturbed by that.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
My first police experience here was being stopped for speeding in Chicago. When I pulled over I took off my seat belt and reached for the glove box to retrieve my registration - of course totally the wrong moves.

It took the cop 15 minutes to come to my window and when he did he had his hand on his pistol.

But, I can't help thinking one day I'll be telling my son to stay out of trouble before he goes out. But a Black father needs to add... also don't act suspicious, or look at someone wrong, or drive with a broken tail light, or wear a hoodie, etc etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/op...=fb-share&_r=3
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:32 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Or a police officer pulling over a car for running a red light at 2:00 AM in a crime ridden neighbourhood with 4 black guys in it
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure your kid is good but I've met a fair few US cops and all appeared to have John McClane syndrome, i.e. itching for some heavily armed guys to take over their local Dunkin' Donuts.

There are some serious training issues, and maybe recruitment issues, that need addressing here.

Saying that, I don't believe there's a lot of conscious racism by the cops here. These recent shootings are the result of the Black-man bogeyman; it's cops unconsiously giving less leeway to black people because we are all bombarded with three types of black males - sports stars, rappers, and criminals. If you're not Black and driving a Mercedes then you're the latter.

Just my 2c of course.
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of black victims killed by blacks.

Keep in mind that Blacks only constitute 12% of the population but account for approximately 50% of the murders, that's the bogeyman.

The Elephant in the Room is the violence of the Black subculture.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 8:46 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of black victims killed by blacks.

Keep in mind that Blacks only constitute 12% of the population but account for approximately 50% of the murders, that's the bogeyman.

The Elephant in the Room is the violence of the Black subculture.
The elephant is however black on black violent crime. Most non black persons have little to fear from those stats.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 8:48 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I am quite relieved that the shooter acted alone. If it had been a group, even just two, then unimaginable.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My first police experience here was being stopped for speeding in Chicago. When I pulled over I took off my seat belt and reached for the glove box to retrieve my registration - of course totally the wrong moves. ....
I agree that taking off your seatbelt was a bad idea, but why do you say getting your license from the glove box before the officer approached the car, is the wrong move?

As I said above, IMO getting your licence out ahead of the officer reaching your car, or more correctly, before the officer gets out of his car (usually they will take several minutes to check your registration before they approach your car) is the best thing to do.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree that taking off your seatbelt was a bad idea, but why do you say getting your license from the glove box before the officer approached the car, is the wrong move?

As I said above, IMO getting your licence out ahead of the officer reaching your car, or more correctly, before the officer gets out of his car (usually they will take several minutes to check your registration before they approach your car) is the best thing to do.
I thought if pulled over you sit with both hands on the steering wheel at 10 to 2.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of black victims killed by blacks. ....
As we discussed recently on another thread, buried in those stats (within "whites") are the Mexican/hispanic shootings/murders, which are often connected to drugs and gangs. As with blacks and whites in general, they are predominately intraracial, and therefore as for black on black murders most non hispanic persons have little to fear from that.

And to break out another sub-group, there are murders in the white "biker gang" segment of the population, which further diminish the remaining murders inflicted on the population at large.

ETA It is interesting to note that whites are more than twice as likely (16%) to be killed by someone of another race, as blacks (7%). .... Or does the difference between 84%/93% and 100% also include "unknown".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 9th 2016 at 1:33 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.