2016 Election

Old Jun 9th 2016, 6:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just wanted to say Hi.
Wazzup?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:39 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I wouldn't imagine that Georgia is in play at all in '16 either.
I've heard talk of GA becoming more purple because of changing demographics for a while, and I think it's certainly true to some extent, but I don't know if it is enough to really put GA in play. But with Trump it may be enough.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:04 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I've heard talk of GA becoming more purple because of changing demographics for a while, and I think it's certainly true to some extent, but I don't know if it is enough to really put GA in play. But with Trump it may be enough.
I'm with you there. Georgia should go Red but Trump is the unknown quantity. Will Hillary sweep because Trump is so loathsome? Will Trump repeat what he did in the primaries? Or will the votes split along Democratic/Republican lines as per usual?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
A lot of Hispanics there now apparently.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:16 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
No, John Wayne was far more direct about it: https://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Wi...ayboy_Int2.pdf

For example, page 7. "I believe in white supremacy".

Or page 3.

As for Reagan, he basically said whatever Nancy told him to say.

For someone who you quoted as "believing in white supremacy" Wayne didn't believe in it when it came to marriage. All three of his wives were of Hispanic heritage.

He was exempted from service in WW2 because of his age, 34 at the time. He did try to enlist in the Office of Strategic Services, the forerunner of the CIA and toured US bases in the Pacific with the USO.

Wayne was an Anglo-American man of his time. The prejudices he may have had were held by about 90 percent of his fellow Anglos. I don't particularly blame him for that. You are what you are because of the environment you grow up in, In my case I was luckier. The 1960s were my university. I lost a lot of prejudices during that decade and more since then and was young enough to have the flexibility and the adaptability to change my attitude

Last edited by dc koop; Jun 9th 2016 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I'm with you there. Georgia should go Red but Trump is the unknown quantity. Will Hillary sweep because Trump is so loathsome? Will Trump repeat what he did in the primaries? Or will the votes split along Democratic/Republican lines as per usual?
Or will Trump sweep because Clinton is so loathsome?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
For someone who you quoted as "believing in white supremacy" Wayne didn't believe in it when it came to marriage. All three of his wives were of Hispanic heritage.

He was exempted from service in WW2 because of his age, 34 at the time. He did try to enlist in the Office of Strategic Services, the forerunner of the CIA and toured US bases in the Pacific with the USO.

Wayne was an Anglo-American man of his time. The prejudices he may have had were held by about 90 percent of his fellow Anglos. I don't particularly blame him for that. You are what you are because of the environment you grow up in, In my case I was luckier. The 1960s were my university. I lost a lot of prejudices during that decade and more since then and was young enough to have the flexibility and the adaptability to change my attitude
Wayne exempted because he was 34? A crock. Clark Gable enlisted at 43 for the war. So one could enlist and go fight..but Wayne preferred to stay home and make money in the movies.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What do you feel is loathsome about her?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:43 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's pretty much what the next sentence was about.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A more accurate explanation by the man who wrote a book about him.

John Wayne, draft dodger? Oh, what delicious (if cheap) irony! But that judgment is a little harsh. As Garry Wills tells the story in his book John Wayne's America: The Politics of Celebrity (1997), the Duke faced a tough choice at the outset of World War II. If he wimped out, don't be so sure a lot of us wouldn't have done the same.

At the time of Pearl Harbor, Wayne was 34 years old. His marriage was on the rocks but he still had four kids to support. His career was taking off, in large part on the strength of his work in the classic western Stagecoach (1939). But he wasn't rich. Should he chuck it all and enlist? Many of Hollywood's big names, such as Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable, did just that. (Fonda, Wills points out, was 37 at the time and had a wife and three kids.) But these were established stars. Wayne knew that if he took a few years off for military service, there was a good chance that by the time he got back he'd be over the hill.

Besides, he specialized in the kind of movies a nation at war wanted to see, in which a rugged American hero overcame great odds. Recognizing that Hollywood was an important part of the war effort, Washington had told California draft boards to go easy on actors. Perhaps rationalizing that he could do more good at home, Wayne obtained 3-A status, "deferred for [family] dependency reasons." He told friends he'd enlist after he made just one or two more movies.

The real question is why he never did so. Wayne cranked out thirteen movies during the war, many with war-related themes. Most of the films were enormously successful and within a short time the Duke was one of America's most popular stars. His bankability now firmly established, he could have joined the military, secure in the knowledge that Hollywood would welcome him back later. He even made a half-hearted effort to sign up, sending in the paperwork to enlist in the naval photography unit commanded by a good friend, director John Ford.

But he didn't follow through. Nobody really knows why; Wayne didn't like to talk about it. A guy who prided himself on doing his own stunts, he doesn't seem to have lacked physical courage. One suspects he just found it was a lot more fun being a Hollywood hero than the real kind. Many movie star-soldiers had enlisted in the first flush of patriotism after Pearl Harbor. As the war ground on, slogging it out in the trenches seemed a lot less exciting. The movies, on the other hand, had put Wayne well on the way to becoming a legend. "Wayne increasingly came to embody the American fighting man," Wills writes. In late 1943 and early 1944 he entertained the troops in the Pacific theater as part of a USO tour. An intelligence bigshot asked him to give his impression of Douglas MacArthur. He was fawned over by the press when he got back. Meanwhile, he was having a torrid affair with a beautiful Mexican woman. How could military service compare with that?

In 1944, Wayne received a 2-A classification, "deferred in support of [the] national … interest." A month later the Selective Service decided to revoke many previous deferments and reclassified him 1-A. But Wayne's studio appealed and got his 2-A status reinstated until after the war ended.

People who knew Wayne say he felt bad about not having served. (During the war he'd gotten into a few fights with servicemen who wondered why he wasn't in uniform.) Some think his guilty conscience was one reason he became such a superpatriot later. The fact remains that the man who came to symbolize American patriotism and pride had a chance to do more than just act the part, and he let it pass.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:03 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
A more accurate explanation by the man who wrote a book about him.

John Wayne, draft dodger? Oh, what delicious (if cheap) irony! But that judgment is a little harsh. As Garry Wills tells the story in his book John Wayne's America: The Politics of Celebrity (1997), the Duke faced a tough choice at the outset of World War II. If he wimped out, don't be so sure a lot of us wouldn't have done the same.

At the time of Pearl Harbor, Wayne was 34 years old. His marriage was on the rocks but he still had four kids to support. His career was taking off, in large part on the strength of his work in the classic western Stagecoach (1939). But he wasn't rich. Should he chuck it all and enlist? Many of Hollywood's big names, such as Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable, did just that. (Fonda, Wills points out, was 37 at the time and had a wife and three kids.) But these were established stars. Wayne knew that if he took a few years off for military service, there was a good chance that by the time he got back he'd be over the hill.

Besides, he specialized in the kind of movies a nation at war wanted to see, in which a rugged American hero overcame great odds. Recognizing that Hollywood was an important part of the war effort, Washington had told California draft boards to go easy on actors. Perhaps rationalizing that he could do more good at home, Wayne obtained 3-A status, "deferred for [family] dependency reasons." He told friends he'd enlist after he made just one or two more movies.

The real question is why he never did so. Wayne cranked out thirteen movies during the war, many with war-related themes. Most of the films were enormously successful and within a short time the Duke was one of America's most popular stars. His bankability now firmly established, he could have joined the military, secure in the knowledge that Hollywood would welcome him back later. He even made a half-hearted effort to sign up, sending in the paperwork to enlist in the naval photography unit commanded by a good friend, director John Ford.

But he didn't follow through. Nobody really knows why; Wayne didn't like to talk about it. A guy who prided himself on doing his own stunts, he doesn't seem to have lacked physical courage. One suspects he just found it was a lot more fun being a Hollywood hero than the real kind. Many movie star-soldiers had enlisted in the first flush of patriotism after Pearl Harbor. As the war ground on, slogging it out in the trenches seemed a lot less exciting. The movies, on the other hand, had put Wayne well on the way to becoming a legend. "Wayne increasingly came to embody the American fighting man," Wills writes. In late 1943 and early 1944 he entertained the troops in the Pacific theater as part of a USO tour. An intelligence bigshot asked him to give his impression of Douglas MacArthur. He was fawned over by the press when he got back. Meanwhile, he was having a torrid affair with a beautiful Mexican woman. How could military service compare with that?

In 1944, Wayne received a 2-A classification, "deferred in support of [the] national … interest." A month later the Selective Service decided to revoke many previous deferments and reclassified him 1-A. But Wayne's studio appealed and got his 2-A status reinstated until after the war ended.

People who knew Wayne say he felt bad about not having served. (During the war he'd gotten into a few fights with servicemen who wondered why he wasn't in uniform.) Some think his guilty conscience was one reason he became such a superpatriot later. The fact remains that the man who came to symbolize American patriotism and pride had a chance to do more than just act the part, and he let it pass.
He did more good for morale through his films than if at age 34 he had enlisted and later on had his head blown off.

At that time in Hollywood there were plenty more draft dodgers, ten years younger than Wayne who never made a film worth watching, ending up forgotten on a shelf in the basement of some Hollywood movie warehouse.

I grew up with his movies, enjoyed them immensely. Perhaps the only one I never liked was that "Green Beret" pap
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

He did more good for morale through his films than if at age 34 he had enlisted and later on had his head blown off.

At that time in Hollywood there were plenty more draft dodgers, ten years younger than Wayne who never made a film worth watching, ending up forgotten on a shelf in the basement of some Hollywood movie warehouse.

I grew up with his movies, enjoyed them immensely. Perhaps the only one I never liked was that "Green Beret" pap
To be honest I can't say I blame him. Given the choice between going to Europe to be shot at by some enraged Germans, or staying in LA to make money and **** beautiful women, it really doesn't take much thought, does it?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:09 pm
Banned

So Trump isn't loathsome? What's good about a guy who revels in his massive wealth, brags about it, thinks the best kind of woman is a Stepford wife and has a shite fit about some poor little brown guy with a few pesos in his pocket who sneaks across the border so he can wash dishes for 6 bucks an hour in a restaurant.. a job that no American would ever dream of doing
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
To be honest I can't say I blame him. Given the choice between going to Europe to be shot at by some enraged Germans, or staying in LA to make money and **** beautiful women, it really doesn't take much thought, does it?
I agree. I wouldn't want to enlist for battle at age 34 either. It was okay if you were a career soldier at 34, trained and fit for war and it was your livelihood of choice but boot camp at 34? It was hard enough for me at age 20

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.