Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by dc koop
I can imagine what a 34 year old would have had to go through in boot camp. First off the others would have nicknamed him "pops". The others would have all been in the 18-24 age range, Then all those field exercises and physical endurance tests.

"three pull ups? Is that all you can do old man"

"Come on pops. Get your arse over that wall on the double. You're holding up the rest of us"

"Jeezuz Christ you climb a rope like old people "f**k"

Like the movie that was made titled "no place for old men"
At 34 I could still do 50 pushups and situps and run an 11.5 100 meters. Bootcamp would have been easier than when I went at 18. You underestimate people in that age bracket especially in that era.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:01 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Lots of people seem to be questioning that. I saw one article the other day questioning his alleged business acumen. Saying why would you bother putting your name on cheap suits, steaks and Universities to get a few dollars here or there? He is meant to be some great real estate mogul yet is way down the list of actual NYC real estate people. His filings suggest most of his wealth is symbolic in his name.

Another report questioned the potential conflict of interest issues. Presidents and VPs are apparently exempt from conflict laws but still put all their investments in blind trusts. Not so easy when your name is your investment. Can't just forget you have golf courses in a country while you're doing yuge deals with them.
And he still refuses to release his tax returns.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne was an Anglo-American man of his time. The prejudices he may have had were held by about 90 percent of his fellow Anglos. I don't particularly blame him for that. You are what you are because of the environment you grow up in, In my case I was luckier. The 1960s were my university. I lost a lot of prejudices during that decade and more since then and was young enough to have the flexibility and the adaptability to change my attitude
Fascinating, doesn't alter the fact he was a racist and Trump seems okay associating with one. I mean, John Wayne made those statements well after the civil rights era, well into the 1970s. And he wasn't just Joe Nobody talking to someone in the bar, it was a magazine interview that was widely read.

Apparently he skipped the civil rights era, like he skipped the draft.

This is the whole problem with Trump and also the same problem with Brexit. You've got these old duffers who grew up in the 1950s, (but in reality were children so they don't really remember it accurately) arguing for a return to something they never experienced as adults.

No-one seems to mention that much btw. Bernie, Hillary and Donald are all in their 70s, vote for Gary Johnson! He might live to finish his second term! Now there's a campaign slogan.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:24 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Elizabeth Warren is kicking up some more dust and she's getting better as she goes. Impressive.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I wouldn't want to enlist for battle at age 34 either. It was okay if you were a career soldier at 34, trained and fit for war and it was your livelihood of choice but boot camp at 34? It was hard enough for me at age 20
From what I recall of being in the military, 35 was the max. age for enlistment and at age 30 they dialled back the fitness tests.

But it's different during wartime, they're more desperate for people.

I always laugh at these people complaining about women being in the military - most men don't qualify to join the military.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Leslie
And he still refuses to release his tax returns.
I can't wait for that. I found a mistake on Mitt Romney's 2011 return.

I do agree with him though that you don't want to release returns under audit and the IRS can go back six years - and apparently they are in fact still auditing his 2009 return! There seems very little likelihood they would finish auditing his 2014 or 2015 returns by the election on that basis.

If you release them thousands of people like me are going to pick them apart and I wouldn't do that while they're being audited, not if they're complex. All you've got to do is point out to the IRS the mistakes or omissions.

But he's going to have to release something.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Clinton's email situation ... Colbert had a segment on his show recently where he said a state department report concluded:
1) if she had asked, they would have said no; but she didn't ask.
2) five prior secretaries of state did similar things.

He thus concluded - if you think Hillary is corrupt, your suspicions were reinforced;
If you think this is no big deal because everyone else did the same, your thoughts are reinforced.

So is that the end of it now? No more investigations, or is this going to drag on and could there still be legal ramifications?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:47 pm
WTF?

Trump gives old white guys a bad name.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:54 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
At 34 I could still do 50 pushups and situps and run an 11.5 100 meters. Bootcamp would have been easier than when I went at 18. You underestimate people in that age bracket especially in that era.
You were more the exception than the rule I would say. I was a war baby. We didnt get the food to build tall strong healthy bodies. There weren't many of us who were taller than 5 ft 10 either. We were the tail end of the National Service generation. I was healthy but no athlete when I was called up. After 12 weeks of boot camp I was a different person. Later on I volunteered for the Para training course and passed no problem.

No 34 year old back then could have hacked it.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 2:00 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
From what I recall of being in the military, 35 was the max. age for enlistment and at age 30 they dialled back the fitness tests.

But it's different during wartime, they're more desperate for people.

I always laugh at these people complaining about women being in the military - most men don't qualify to join the military.
More Americans than not of enlistment age couldn't pass the physical these days. Obesity is the main problem
Old Jun 9th 2016, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 9th 2016, 3:09 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Clinton's email situation ... Colbert had a segment on his show recently where he said a state department report concluded:
1) if she had asked, they would have said no; but she didn't ask.
2) five prior secretaries of state did similar things.

He thus concluded - if you think Hillary is corrupt, your suspicions were reinforced;
If you think this is no big deal because everyone else did the same, your thoughts are reinforced.

So is that the end of it now? No more investigations, or is this going to drag on and could there still be legal ramifications?
I didn't see Colbert, so I can't say if he is right or not, but the situation is a bit more nuanced than you describe.

There is still the ongoing FBI investigation, so it isn't over yet. But the signs are that there won't be any legal ramifications, which would be a disaster for Clinton's campaign.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 9th 2016, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine what a 34 year old would have had to go through in boot camp. First off the others would have nicknamed him "pops". The others would have all been in the 18-24 age range, Then all those field exercises and physical endurance tests.

"three pull ups? Is that all you can do old man"

"Come on pops. Get your arse over that wall on the double. You're holding up the rest of us"

"Jeezuz Christ you climb a rope like old people "f**k"

Like the movie that was made titled "no place for old men"
I don't no what Army you were in, but when I did my National Service, no one was this super fit athletic teenager you describe. More like a bunch of hapless misfits. I've never laughed so much as seeing my fellow 18 to 22 year olds trying to complete the obstacle course. Dads Army would have given us a run for our money.
Not every soldier, sailor or airman is front line combat, in fact there are more support personnel than there are combat, which do not require super human strength and endurance.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie
Trump gives old white guys a bad name.
Not always, There are still some of us who know an idiot and a clown when we see one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.