Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Jun 8th 2016, 3:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by zargof
No, I don't think Sanders would make a good VP, they stay quiet except to agree with the President. Not really Bernie's thing. Maybe Warren, and I've seen hints of that coming from the Clinton camp.

Either way I think Warren is going to be key to bridging the gap between to the two camps.
Warren is a good choice.

Sanders may be better going back to the Senate anyway, now I think of it.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for Clinton in my first ever primary vote yesterday, in CA. I didn't become a citizen till 2010, and always thought primaries were a bit of a waste of time, but this time I decided to go to the polls because I feel strongly that Clinton needs a good mandate from CA. If the most liberal state in the nation votes for her in the primary, with a big majority, should help her case (and delegate count).

Has she won enough delegates to outright beat Sanders, even without the superdelegates at this point; that is - if every superdelegate voted for Sanders, would she still be the winner? If not, can she still achieve that?
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I voted for Clinton in my first ever primary vote yesterday, in CA. I didn't become a citizen till 2010, and always thought primaries were a bit of a waste of time, but this time I decided to go to the polls because I feel strongly that Clinton needs a good mandate from CA. If the most liberal state in the nation votes for her in the primary, with a big majority, should help her case (and delegate count).

Has she won enough delegates to outright beat Sanders, even without the superdelegates at this point; that is - if every superdelegate voted for Sanders, would she still be the winner? If not, can she still achieve that?
It is a lovely feeling to vote for the first time. Mine was the 2012 presidential election.

I believe she now has a solid majority of pledged delegates but will fall about 100 or so short of an overall majority. Sanders is a further 380 ish behind in pledged delegates and 500 ish behind in supers.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

According to this, nowhere near and no she can't achieve it. I think the only primary left is DC:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...ets/democrats/
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:17 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

There are 4763 delegates, 4051 of which are pledged. About 15% (712) are "superdelegates."

The winner requires a majority, which is 2382 delegates.

DC has not yet voted, which leaves 20 pledged delegates and 26 superdelegates that have not yet been allocated.

Clinton has 2184 pledged delegates, Sanders has 1852.

If Clinton won zero votes in the DC primary, she would need 198 of the 712 superdelegates to win the majority.

If Sanders won zero votes in the DC primary, he would need 530 of the 712 superdelegates to win the majority.

Of the popular votes cast for either Clinton or Sanders, Clinton has won 57% of those, but she has only 54% of the pledged delegates; in spite of all of the whining from the Sanders camp, he has benefited disproportionately from the allocation.

A candidate would need to receive 59% of the pledged delegates in order to avoid the need to win any superdelegates at all. Obviously the system is designed to empower the superdelegates, but that doesn't change the fact that Sanders is losing fair and square.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Jun 8th 2016 at 5:20 am.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:38 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

So Sanders speaking from the People's Republic of Santa Monica last night declared he's still in the race. Hard to understand what he sees in continuing unless the support he's getting from young mainly white anti-Hillary and somewhat naïve voters has gone to his 74 year old head.

He would do better than playing Don Quixote and cede victory to Hillary, tell his supporters to get behind Hillary, like it or not and by doing so making sure Trump never, ever gets into the White House
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
So Sanders speaking from the People's Republic of Santa Monica last night declared he's still in the race. Hard to understand what he sees in continuing unless the support he's getting from young mainly white anti-Hillary and somewhat naïve voters has gone to his 74 year old head.

He would do better than playing Don Quixote and cede victory to Hillary, tell his supporters to get behind Hillary, like it or not and by doing so making sure Trump never, ever gets into the White House
It's only a week to the last primary in DC, so it probably doesn't make much difference at this point. But if he doesn't cede immediately after that primary it will be unfortunate.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 8th 2016 at 5:51 am.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:51 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's only a week to the last primary in DC, so it probably doesn't make much difference at this point. But if he doesn't cede immediately after that primary it will will be unfortunate.
Laying off most of his campaign staff, requesting meeting with Obama, his surrogates calling for party unity. It looks like he's laying the groundwork behind the scenes.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:52 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's only a week to the last primary in DC, so it probably doesn't make much difference at this point. But if he doesn't cede immediately after that primary it will will be unfortunate.
I noticed during his speech last night that when he mentioned Hillary there were several boos from the crowd.

The GOP are tearing themselves to pieces over Trump, Bernie shouldn't be the cause of spreading disunity amongst the Democrats. He needs to step down now, give a word from the wise to the crowd and help Hillary give Trump the ass kicking he deserves in November.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meanwhile, the Republicans are doing so poorly in California that for the first time ever two Democrats will be the candidates for Boxer's Senate seat. Which is too bad because I'm underwhelmed by both of them:

Two Democrats compete for Senate seat as Republicans out - BBC News

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 8th 2016 at 5:58 am.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dc koop
I noticed during his speech last night that when he mentioned Hillary there were several boos from the crowd.
Several? It sounded like a chorus to me!
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:05 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Bernie Sanders Won't Drop Out Tuesday And Hillary Clinton Didn't Either in 2008 : NPR
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well sure, but she did concede four days later.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It is a lovely feeling to vote for the first time. Mine was the 2012 presidential election.
I voted for the 'very first time' in the 2012 presidential election; yesterday was my first ever 'primary' participation.

But in 2012, I was registered in AZ, so voting for a democrat was like pissing in the wind!
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit weird how Sanders and Warren are suddenly so popular despite not really changing much for a long time. If they had gotten this kind of national support a decade or two ago then they might have had a fighting chance to do a lot of good before their twilight years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.