Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ECJ DECLARE STREAMING BBC/ITV ILLEGAL

ECJ DECLARE STREAMING BBC/ITV ILLEGAL

Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECJ DECLARE STREAMING BBC/ITV ILLEGAL

Originally Posted by Saxy
It is the pathetic attitude of the commercial TV companies, and that is the point here.
They have gone to a lot of trouble and spent valuable time and money on lawyers to do this...WHY?

As to "a handful of expats scattered around the globe", I don't think that you can call 5.5 million, a handful!. One estimate puts 800,000 in Spain!!!
I've just spent ten weeks in Australia, and all of the supermarkets are selling English foodstuff, and yes you can watch UK internet TV down there, Expat Shield and FilmOn, work just fine! Which again, shows the futility of the legal action!!

I think you should stay in more and get your facts right!!!

No matey its you that needs to understand that you are advertising and condoning THEFT because it suits your small world mind.
Must get my daily fix of Corrie, must see the footy.
Fancy going to Australia just to check out internet companies that STEAL other people's property.

And you will find that many UK products in Australia are imported at high priced premiums, in preference to more local ASEA produced products of because of the small world minded attitude the Aussie expats live in.
But that is changing and they don't like it, but they can't afford it.

`
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:24 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Not true. I live in Spain but I buy from Debenhams, M&S, John Lewis to name a few. As for the comment about "they need to get out more!" don´t be so pompous and arrogant. There are people living in the uk who watch Asian tv for example. I want to watch UK tv for various reasons. I enjoy the dramas and love BBC4 French and Scandi series but I also want to see Eastenders. Yes I can live without it especially in the summer months but when it is cold and wet I want a good drama to watch in English.
I recently bought from C&A, but then they pulled out of the UK
So do you go home to buy or use the internet - as none of those companies advertise on UKTV that much (they all use magazine advertising) your decisions aren't based on TV time.

Yes there are people watching Asian TV, but then that is aimed for them, although they still need a separate (and larger) dish from Sky, which they also have.

Obviously you are getting your fill of English drama in the rain filled Iberia at the moment, and it may well get worse not better
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I recently bought from C&A, but then they pulled out of the UK
So do you go home to buy or use the internet - as none of those companies advertise on UKTV that much (they all use magazine advertising) your decisions aren't based on TV time.

Yes there are people watching Asian TV, but then that is aimed for them, although they still need a separate (and larger) dish from Sky, which they also have.

Obviously you are getting your fill of English drama in the rain filled Iberia at the moment, and it may well get worse not better

All these companies do advertise on UK tv regularly. I buy both on the internet for delivery either to Spain or the UK if I am planning a trip over.

Possibly no UK TV could result in murder in our particular household with Sky Sports dominating! But that is another thread. Does being 24/7 with your partner drive you to crime!!!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:32 pm

All these companies do advertise on UK tv regularly. I buy both on the internet for delivery either to Spain or the UK if I am planning a trip over.

Possibly no UK TV could result in murder in our particular household with Sky Sports dominating! But that is another thread. Does being 24/7 with your partner drive you to crime!!!
I will let you know, at the moment she works 5 days a week

but the tv doesn't come on until about 5.30 and is usually off by 11, 11.30

even in the pouring rain there is something to do here, just we have to walk up the hill to get to it.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:37 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

you will find that ExpatShield is a program, the owner of that program is an American company called AnchorFree, headquarters in Silicon Valley. They provide an HTTPS service to enable companies that sort and filter users by their IP address to stop illegal use of their facilities. The same way as a private club filters visitors to ensure those who enter are paying their membership. Remember, BBC is funded from the Licence Fee.

Filmon is an American company that already has had legal issues with retransmitting with US companies such as CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox. They are taking UK transmissions illegally and streaming them to the world, charging the likes of you and others. This is THEFT, but that is something you seem to condone and from other things you have said are actually pushing other people into. I believe you should be telling people that what they are doing is illegal.

Irrespective of the use of VPN's that use servers in defined countries to gain the benefit of that that IP address or use "blank" IP's not even American companies can hide from the NSA, GCHQ and a couple of others, who take great delight in breaking their algorithms for breakfast.

The only secure computer is one that has NO connection with the internet.

`
the ENTIRE basis of my bizness is that using EX-PAT for example (and i dont ) is that allows you to get round geo-location .which on the new judgment in europe has been declared 100 % LEGAL
http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/d...cp110102en.pdf
so expat is QUITE LEGAL to use

HOW EVER ...FILMON go and NICK something belonging to ITV and FLOG it to the public ,and after the new ruling that is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE 10 years in HMP and UNLIMITED fine ANYWHERE in the 27 and those that say ´´they dont pay for it´´ well i had to take ADBLOCK off my system for FILMON as everytime you change channel you get a 30 second ADVERT where NONE of the money raised is sent to the compnay showing the program that follows

Last edited by BAT7311; Mar 9th 2013 at 1:48 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:45 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Saxy;10592680]
Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Only time will answer that one

The BBC is funded by the licence fee paying public, and therefore should be geo-protected.
Commercial TV companies are funded by the advertisers only. They want as many people to see their adverts as possible, the UK viewer pays nothing.
So what is the difference between the UK viewer (paying nothing) and the expat watching on the internet paying nothing -NOTHING!
people always fall into this trap....the TV TAX is collected by the UK government as is your ROAD TAX and any other TAX they can think of .FULL STOP
The BBC is FUNDED by the UK government .there is no direct connection between them

but i am happy for to agree that no one should watch BBC in europe (as we dont pay the licence fee in the uk) but PLEASE no britsih cars or lorries in EUROPE as i havent seen anyone paying spanish road tax to drive here ...

Last edited by BAT7311; Mar 9th 2013 at 1:53 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

No matey its you that needs to understand that you are advertising and condoning THEFT because it suits your small world mind.
Must get my daily fix of Corrie, must see the footy.
Fancy going to Australia just to check out internet companies that STEAL other people's property.

And you will find that many UK products in Australia are imported at high priced premiums, in preference to more local ASEA produced products of because of the small world minded attitude the Aussie expats live in.
But that is changing and they don't like it, but they can't afford it.

`
Oh dear there you go again, and again you're wrong. You see, I like to help people out, and as they are worried about losing satellite viewing, I'm showing them the alternatives, and in case you didn't read post 48, the UK commercial viewers pay nothing, so by your reckoning, they are stealing!!!

I see that you are a clairvoyant and think you know my viewing habits, well let's see. When you say Corrie, I presume you mean Coronation Street. That is amazingly cleaver, I did see that when I was at my future in-laws house, let me see, that must be 1965. I really must see if I can catch up on ITV Player! Football? again I did watch it on the box, when it was played without all of the diving, that must have been in the '60s as well. Now I do enjoy a good drama. On ITV of course
I seam to have spent too much on here this last couple of days and I've neglected some of my hobbies... 'The Follies' show troupe, who put on shows for charity, Bonalba Flat Green Bowls, Archery, and I should mention playing R&B tenor sax at The Rock Bar Frontera, San Juan, Alicante, Thursday nights (you should come along and meet some of my Spanish musician friends. We start playing at 00.30 am).
Yes I did go to Oz to see the family, prices are very high, but so are the wages!! The music scene is pretty good though, and I used to sit in on sax with a brilliant band - 'Muma Janes Blues Band', check 'em out!

OK, you can all wake up now, I've finished. What do you mean "Thank God"

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 9th 2013 at 1:50 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=BAT7311;10593657]

people always fall into this trap....the TV TAX is collected by the UK government as is your ROAD TAX and any other TAX they can think of .FULL STOP
The BBC is FUNDED by the UK government .there is no direct connection between them
Let me see, I can't get my head round this:
The TV TAX is collected by the UK government i.e. the licence? and the BBC is funded by the UK government, but there is no direct connection between them
WHAT!!!!!

Oh I see what you mean, the money is collected by one government department and the BBC gets payed by another government department. Of course it is

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 9th 2013 at 2:14 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

It is the pathetic attitude of the commercial TV companies, and that is the point here.
They have gone to a lot of trouble and spent valuable time and money on lawyers to do this...WHY?

As to "a handful of expats scattered around the globe", I don't think that you can call 5.5 million, a handful!. One estimate puts 800,000 in Spain!!!
So a few expats buying a jar of marmite once a year is hardly likely to swell the coffers of the advertisers. I think you grossly overestimate the expat spend on British goods, they aren't really interested in you.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:55 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It is not necessarily about the advertisers; it is about pay per view. How much would someone pay to watch popular programs - soaps / dramas / sporting events etc???

Davexf
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

There are people living in the uk who watch Asian tv for example. I want to watch UK tv for various reasons. I enjoy the dramas and love BBC4 French and Scandi series but I also want to see Eastenders. .
I don't watch any of those, so no expert, but aren't they BBC programmes? I said people that can't live without ITV need to get out more. I watch very little TV, certainly no soaps or reality rubbish, but the BBC is still capable of producing some good TV, especially wildlife. Enjoyed the Wild Arabia programme last night.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:07 pm

[QUOTE=BAT7311;10593657]

but i am happy for to agree that no one should watch BBC in europe (as we dont pay the licence fee in the uk) but PLEASE no britsih cars or lorries in EUROPE as i havent seen anyone paying spanish road tax to drive here ...
[QUOTE=Saxy;10593672]
Originally Posted by BAT7311

Let me see, I can't get my head round this:
The TV TAX is collected by the UK government i.e. the licence? and the BBC is funded by the UK government, but there is no direct connection between them
WHAT!!!!!

Oh I see what you mean, the money is collected by one government department and the BBC gets payed by another government department. Of course it is
OH DEAR _ MORE DISINFORMATION

Fred is right, and again you are wrong.
The TV licence is charged to every household in the land for the privilege of watching Television - not for watching the BBC (some may remember the days when you had to pay for a licence to have a radio in your car )

The income from the TV Licence goes in its entirety to the BBC to carry out its remit of providing public service media programmes.
The UK Govt no longer touches a penny, under a recent alteration they no longer sit in the middle and dole out the pennies. They used to make a special payment to the BBC to fund BBC World Service, but this cost is now paid fully by the BBC in return for their having the total income from the licence fee,
The licence fee collection is outsourced to Capita by the BBC. In the same way as Capita collect the London Charge for driving through the city.

But whilst we are all in Spain we don't pay any licence fee, and get the full benefit of the BBC's resources - which is why they use IP location blockers to stop you - and I - from listening or viewing things that are only programmed for the UK.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:25 pm
Banned

reading this it says the money is first put into the government bank account and then the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
gives it to the BBC (all of it??) maybe someone can read it better then me .... but i smell a bit of smoke and daily mail here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis...United_Kingdom

what shocked me was the 100 million to collect the tax !!!! or an i missreading it again ???

BLIMY read this !!
BBC World News and the BBC's other international television channels are operated commercially and will continue to not receive licence fee money. The revenues they generate supplement the licence fee in financing the UK services.
SO THOSE OF US IN SPAIN PAY A SUBSIDY FOR UK RESIDENTS TO WATCH THEIR TV !!!!!!!

Last edited by BAT7311; Mar 10th 2013 at 12:43 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Domino;10594994][QUOTE=BAT7311;10593657]

OH DEAR _ MORE DISINFORMATION

Fred is right, and again you are wrong.
The TV licence is charged to every household in the land for the privilege of watching Television - not for watching the BBC (some may remember the days when you had to pay for a licence to have a radio in your car )

The income from the TV Licence goes in its entirety to the BBC to carry out its remit of providing public service media programmes.
The UK Govt no longer touches a penny, under a recent alteration they no longer sit in the middle and dole out the pennies. They used to make a special payment to the BBC to fund BBC World Service, but this cost is now paid fully by the BBC in return for their having the total income from the licence fee,
The licence fee collection is outsourced to Capita by the BBC. In the same way as Capita collect the London Charge for driving through the city.

But whilst we are all in Spain we don't pay any licence fee, and get the full benefit of the BBC's resources - which is why they use IP location blockers to stop you - and I - from listening or viewing things that are only programmed for the UK.
The monies paid for a TV licence in the UK. pays for BBC broadcasting only.
A commercial television Broadcast Licence is controlled by Offcom. This is a licence paid for by commercial companies. There is no contribution from the viewers UK licence fee towards this!
My previous comment, still applies, that by your reckoning, people who don't pay for commercial programs are stealing them. So that must also include UK viewers!

My post 68, if you read it properly, was a tongue in cheek explanation of post 66 by BAT731
Do try and keep up!

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 10th 2013 at 4:12 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:59 am

[QUOTE=Saxy;10595333][QUOTE=Domino;10594994]
Originally Posted by BAT7311

The monies paid for a TV licence in the UK. pays for BBC broadcasting only.
A commercial television Broadcast Licence is controlled by Offcom. This is a licence paid for by commercial companies. There is no contribution from the viewers UK licence fee towards this!
My previous comment, still applies, that by your reckoning, people who don't pay for commercial programs are stealing them. So that must also include UK viewers!

My post 68, if you read it properly, was a tongue in cheek explanation of post 66 by BAT731
Do try and keep up!
WRONG AGAIN

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

This is a licence to do something i.e. to receive television transmissions. That the income derived from that licence goes to the BBC is a decision made many years ago. But it is NOT a licence to only watch BBC - that one was put to bed many years ago in several court cases.
The charge when it goes to court is the use of unlicenced television receiving equipment.

Commercial television and radio stations pay a licencing fee to enable them to transmit on the airwaves. What the Govt of the day do with that income either directly or via their agency OFCOM is their business.

Any one who takes without permission BBC or commercial television transmissions live and re-transmits them - irrespective of the media used for that re-transmission is committing THEFT.

If an expat should move his satellite dish a couple of mm this way or that and picks up a transmission aimed at the UK then good luck to him. But if someone should then adjust the broadcast beam and he loses that signal then quite honestly TOUGH. They were getting something for nothing.
If same expat pays for a re-transmission feed from someone who isnt paying the originator for the transmission then that is theft and handling of stolen property, no matter how much or little he is paying.

Wriggle all you like - your condoning theft is the same as theft itself.
Wonder what your friends on the bowling green would think of you

Last edited by Domino; Mar 11th 2013 at 8:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.