Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ECJ DECLARE STREAMING BBC/ITV ILLEGAL

ECJ DECLARE STREAMING BBC/ITV ILLEGAL

Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ECJ DECLARE STREAMING BBC/ITV ILLEGAL

[QUOTE=Domino;10596375][QUOTE=Saxy;10595333]
Originally Posted by Domino

WRONG AGAIN

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

This is a licence to do something i.e. to receive television transmissions. That the income derived from that licence goes to the BBC is a decision made many years ago. But it is NOT a licence to only watch BBC - that one was put to bed many years ago in several court cases.
The charge when it goes to court is the use of unlicenced television receiving equipment.

Commercial television and radio stations pay a licencing fee to enable them to transmit on the airwaves. What the Govt of the day do with that income either directly or via their agency OFCOM is their business.

Any one who takes without permission BBC or commercial television transmissions live and re-transmits them - irrespective of the media used for that re-transmission is committing THEFT.

If an expat should move his satellite dish a couple of mm this way or that and picks up a transmission aimed at the UK then good luck to him. But if someone should then adjust the broadcast beam and he loses that signal then quite honestly TOUGH. They were getting something for nothing.
If same expat pays for a re-transmission feed from someone who isnt paying the originator for the transmission then that is theft and handling of stolen property, no matter how much or little he is paying.

Wriggle all you like - your condoning theft is the same as theft itself.
Wonder what your friends on the bowling green would think of you
Once again, you are failing to accept that watching commercial TV via Expat Shield or similar (who are not rebroadcasting), is the same as the viewer in the UK watching commercial TV for free. Neither contribute any money towards the cost of the program!
If the commercial companies want to use the internet, which is not geographically restricted, then they have to accept the fact that they are using a world wide communication system and that any restrictions they wish to impose as to the availability of their programs are their responsibility!!!

My friends on the bowling green, are very keen to use FilmOn, especially If satellite TV becomes more difficult to receive. Even more so now that I've told them about the ability to record 10 Hrs, for free

Right, it's gone 11am, I must head off on my fortnightly visit to the 'Expat Warehouse' to get my jar of Marmite before the car park's fill up!

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 11th 2013 at 10:13 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
Once again, you are failing to accept that watching commercial TV via Expat Shield or similar (who are not rebroadcasting), is the same as the viewer in the UK watching commercial TV for free. Neither contribute any money towards the cost of the program!
If the commercial companies want to use the internet, which is not geographically restricted, then they have to accept the fact that they are using a world wide communication system and that any restrictions they wish to impose as to the availability of their programs are their responsibility!!!
But you are failing to see that those TV companies are attempting restrictions by limiting access with IP addresses.

Expat Shield allows you to become a thief.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:22 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
But you are failing to see that those TV companies are attempting restrictions by limiting access with IP addresses.

My friends on the bowling green, are very keen to use FilmOn, especially If satellite TV becomes more difficult to receive. Even more so now that I've told them about the ability to record 10 Hrs, for free

Right, it's gone 11am, I must head off on my fortnightly visit to the 'Expat Warehouse' to get my jar of Marmite before the car park's fill up!
As Fred says, ExpatShield - a US product - which will store your IP and record your browsing for whateve nefarious purposes such as may be defined within the Patriot Act and other anti-terrorism acts, is allowing you to thieve Intellectual Property by by-passing the IP gateway of the commercial and BBC websites. That they are advertising this as what their product does is proof that it is THEFT - that is the same as a locksmith who always makes an extra copy of keys so he can or his friends can nip round when the house is empty,

So, you take a marvellous photo off Fred's website and start printing it off by the millions, including it in postcards, flogging it around the web.
You make a fortune but the person who took the photo doesn't make a penny out of it.
But that's alright because its only intellectual property and you did it on the internet so it is alright.

Better still, you have a house in the UK, I move in and don't pay you any rent. But that's alright because you are in Spain and if you needed it you would be living in it.

Saxy you are a thief and you and your bowls playing friends need to understand what you are doing can lead to a period in court if not prison.
And remember that the convoluted way the GDY's treat their Patriot Act, you could end up in Guantanamo as you are only a ghost to the TV companies - not to the NSA and GCHQ.

let me know and I will send you a cake with a file inside it

Last edited by Domino; Mar 11th 2013 at 12:24 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

surely the TV Co's can easily reject any "ghost" without an IP in the same way as they reject IP's outside certain parameters
a single one line of code should do it
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:56 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

surely the TV Co's can easily reject any "ghost" without an IP in the same way as they reject IP's outside certain parameters
a single one line of code should do it
I think proxy servers give a false IP not none.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato
I think proxy servers give a false IP not none.
mmmmmhhh

yes, proxy servers usually put their own IP and hide the client

will have to put the thinking cap on - but intial thought is if they are all the same IP (?) then they could reject if there is more than one user of that IP
but there are several ways of detecting a proxy

but WTH its their problem, they know about it, they need to do something and also to take the proxy owners to court

I have more frugal things to do with my time

`
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:49 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Which just goes to show what little effort they have put into it. Deciding to waste loads of time and money for lawyers and a court case (which will now drag on with appeals being made), instead of doing what TVCatchup did by picking up the false IPs and preventing the programs being watched outside of the UK!

To blame Expat Shield is ridiculous! It would be like indicting JCB, because one of their machines was used in a bank raid!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:06 pm

Which just goes to show what little effort they have put into it. Deciding to waste loads of time and money for lawyers and a court case (which will now drag on with appeals being made), instead of doing what TVCatchup did by picking up the false IPs and preventing the programs being watched outside of the UK!

To blame Expat Shield is ridiculous! It would be like indicting JCB, because one of their machines was used in a bank raid!!!!!
No one would indict JCB, they aren't stupid enough to advertise their products for the the use of THEFT

International law can be broken with ease by anyone (who wishes to), but it takes time to get through all the legal hoops to tie those people up in knots and stop them from doing it.
Although China seems to be quite good at blocking the internet.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Do I take it that by this reply you have accepted that it is theft
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

As Fred says, ExpatShield - a US product - which will store your IP and record your browsing for whateve nefarious purposes such as may be defined within the Patriot Act and other anti-terrorism acts, is allowing you to thieve Intellectual Property by by-passing the IP gateway of the commercial and BBC websites. That they are advertising this as what their product does is proof that it is THEFT - that is the same as a locksmith who always makes an extra copy of keys so he can or his friends can nip round when the house is empty,

So, you take a marvellous photo off Fred's website and start printing it off by the millions, including it in postcards, flogging it around the web.
You make a fortune but the person who took the photo doesn't make a penny out of it.
But that's alright because its only intellectual property and you did it on the internet so it is alright.

Better still, you have a house in the UK, I move in and don't pay you any rent. But that's alright because you are in Spain and if you needed it you would be living in it.

Saxy you are a thief and you and your bowls playing friends need to understand what you are doing can lead to a period in court if not prison.
And remember that the convoluted way the GDY's treat their Patriot Act, you could end up in Guantanamo as you are only a ghost to the TV companies - not to the NSA and GCHQ.

let me know and I will send you a cake with a file inside it
I refer you to my post 83!

The ECJ ruling makes the retransmission of TV programs illegal, not the viewing of those channels. I think that you should have understood that by now!!!

As this thing plays out, I think that we will find that it is about the ECJ wanting to provide protection and fair payment to the authors of the material
We will have internet streaming of TV, via companies like TVCatchup who will make fair payments to those authors. This would be the sensible solution, 'cos otherwise you will find it will remain a problem, with companies like TVCatchup moving out of European jurisdiction!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

No one would indict JCB, they aren't stupid enough to advertise their products for the the use of THEFT

International law can be broken with ease by anyone (who wishes to), but it takes time to get through all the legal hoops to tie those people up in knots and stop them from doing it.
Although China seems to be quite good at blocking the internet.
Since when did Expat Shield advertise their product as a tool for theft!
Yet again you've got it wrong!!! Expat Shield advertise a product that helps you protect your identity, maintain your privacy, and freely access web content.
It is other companies who advertise the ability to view UK TV (softonic and CNET for example).
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do I take it that by this reply you have accepted that it is theft
By no means!
If companies are stupid enough to put something out on public internet without taking the trouble to protect it, and I in my innocence (using Expat Shield), stumble across it and start watching it, legally I can't be guilty of theft, because I didn't know!
Anyway, I watch using FilmOn these days, and unless the American courts get involved (and why should they), I can't see that changing.

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 11th 2013 at 3:28 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:29 pm

Since when did Expat Shield advertise their product as a tool for theft!
Yet again you've got it wrong!!! Expat Shield advertise a product that helps you protect your identity, maintain your privacy, and freely access web content.
It is other companies who advertise the ability to view UK TV (softonic and CNET for example).
from their website...............
•Access all content privately without censorship; bypass firewalls.
If you are living in a country where you do not have access to your favorite websites and services, Expat Shield will provide you complete access to the web by sending you on a virtual trip to the UK.
Get a UK IP and access content available only in UK from anywhere. Ensure complete freedom to access all information and content online.
•Access any UK-only content from anywhere in the World
•Browse all of your favorite content privately
Expat Shield is the alternate name of the product Hotspot Shield of Anchor Free of Silicon Valley and from their website...............
.........and allows you to browse the internet anonymously. Geo-restrictions often deter users from accessing certain sites in some countries. You can bypass geo-restrictions and <b>access blocked sites</b> using the Hotspot Shield VPN software
methinks you are just wriggling on the hook.

It is easier to take to court the thief and stop him than to try taking to court thousands of people who are receiving the benefits of the theft.

although by your own admission you are also advertising this product to enable people to get their favourite TV programmes, which will probably make you much easier to prosecute than the people who have just read about it on this forum

`
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:42 pm

I refer you to my post 83!

The ECJ ruling makes the retransmission of TV programs illegal, not the viewing of those channels. I think that you should have understood that by now!!!

As this thing plays out, I think that we will find that it is about the ECJ wanting to provide protection and fair payment to the authors of the material
We will have internet streaming of TV, via companies like TVCatchup who will make fair payments to those authors. This would be the sensible solution, 'cos otherwise you will find it will remain a problem, with companies like TVCatchup moving out of European jurisdiction!
the blind leading the blind.......

if the retransmission of stolen material is illegal then the viewing of that material is also illegal

you know you have tried to get it by the normal methods but have been blocked due to IP Blocking. So you have looked for other methods which you know are illegal.
Ignorance of the law is no defence.
ISTR that it is also an offence to listen/watch transmissions you are not licenced or authorised to listen/watch.

If you are using VPN to watch television programmes what else are you trying to watch with this software.?

Remember - Anchor Free is a US based company and has to provide information to the NSA and FBI as to who is using their software, where they are going and for how long. They have a long standing agreement to share that information with GCHQ, Scotland Yard and the Security Services.

`

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.