Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Wikiposts

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 24th 2012, 9:09 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Returning to original OP about 34% of expats wanting to sell up, I am still curious to where this figure comes from..

Is it typical Daily Fail bad journalism or taking something out of complete context to suit the papers daily need of drivel??

Does this actually mean that there are 66% of expats who are happy to reside here in Spain??..

As both of us are happy living here and have no compulsion to return to the UK (even if we had to, we could never afford to buy another property where we used to live)..
Therein lies the rub. A lot of expats are trapped in Spain because if they sold their Spanish properties now, they couldn't even afford a beach hut back in Blighty.

So you might as well put a smile on your face and get used to the fact that you couldn't return to the UK even if you wanted to.

And, let's be honest, this isn't a bad place to be stuck in.
Old May 24th 2012, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming of course that people don't have property in both countries
Old May 24th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are firmly in the camp of the 66% who don't want to go back!

We are nearly five years down the line and have no regrets about our one way move to Spain and we are very happy with our life here, and of all the Brits we know here not one of them wants to go back either!
Old May 24th 2012, 5:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Do not know any Brits here so can only speak for ourselves and we settled into the town immediately have wonderful friends and have no desire to return to the UK.

Rosemary
Old May 24th 2012, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

I have no desire to return to UK (or Ireland) either. Has never crossed my mind.

It's all about expectations. I never considered a move to Spain to be a DREAM. It's just another place to live. Always said that I hate the Spanish (except one), but I love the country. It's one big adventure for me, before I move on to the next location.

Will be hiking the Pyrenees from West to East in a couple of months and I can't wait to sample yet another corner of Spain (and of course France).

The plan was to move to Sth America after a couple of years acclimatising in the Canary Islands. Meeting my Spanish OH has put that on hold. But it's no big deal. I adapt according to circumstances.

Expats are not leaving because of money nor house prices. they're leaving because they've taken off the rose tinted specs and are finally accepting that they are not welcome - they never have been and never will be accepted.

We are aliens to the Spanish, so just live your life according to your own rules and everything will be wonderful.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:27 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
I have no desire to return to UK (or Ireland) either. Has never crossed my mind.

It's all about expectations. I never considered a move to Spain to be a DREAM. It's just another place to live. Always said that I hate the Spanish (except one), but I love the country. It's one big adventure for me, before I move on to the next location.

Will be hiking the Pyrenees from West to East in a couple of months and I can't wait to sample yet another corner of Spain (and of course France).

The plan was to move to Sth America after a couple of years acclimatising in the Canary Islands. Meeting my Spanish OH has put that on hold. But it's no big deal. I adapt according to circumstances.

Expats are not leaving because of money nor house prices. they're leaving because they've taken off the rose tinted specs and are finally accepting that they are not welcome - they never have been and never will be accepted.

We are aliens to the Spanish, so just live your life according to your own rules and everything will be wonderful.
How do you hate the people and still love the country. Is it just the geography and climate?
Old May 24th 2012, 7:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I do have to point out that the supposed 33% who wish to return home are not holiday home owners - the latter don't count in the statistics because they don't live in Spain.
That's not what the article/survey said - it just quoted "34% of property owners"

I am sure that the major part of that 34% are holiday homes. Almost all my very many friends and acquaintances are residents and I don't know of even one who has their house on the market with a view to leaving Spain.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Who really cares about statistics that can be interpreted in many ways.

If you have no intention of returning - good

If you choose to return - good

If you have no choice - bad.

If you really want to go into statistics surely its only the final point above that matters.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:45 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
How do you hate the people and still love the country. Is it just the geography and climate?
Its a bit of a Juxtaposition I'll grant ya but as an example I'll give you one word. France.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:52 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its a bit of a Juxtaposition I'll grant ya but as an example I'll give you one word. France.
I see your point. Guess I never thought of Spain that way.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:57 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's not what the article/survey said - it just quoted "34% of property owners"

I am sure that the major part of that 34% are holiday homes. Almost all my very many friends and acquaintances are residents and I don't know of even one who has their house on the market with a view to leaving Spain.
I thought the article was about expats going home. Holiday home owners have never left home.

I suppose the amount of foreigners wanting to return home also depends on where they live in Spain. It's natural that the saturated areas in Valencia and Malaga provinces have a higher proportion based on numbers alone.

But I admit there are other factors, many of them. It could also be that people like yourself have made more of a commitment to Spain by choosing to live in a mainly Spanish area, and are less likely to be reminded of the UK then me, for example, with a British Legion on every corner.

Along with sewing circles and bingo, where I live, all the British forces have branches nearby, in fact, my area is more British than the UK, daft as that may sound. Strangely enough, we don't have any Mosques.

I'm still baffled by the numbers wanting to return home.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:11 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I thought the article was about expats going home. Holiday home owners have never left home.

I suppose the amount of foreigners wanting to return home also depends on where they live in Spain. It's natural that the saturated areas in Valencia and Malaga provinces have a higher proportion based on numbers alone.

But I admit there are other factors, many of them. It could also be that people like yourself have made more of a commitment to Spain by choosing to live in a mainly Spanish area, and are less likely to be reminded of the UK then me, for example, with a British Legion on every corner.

Along with sewing circles and bingo, where I live, all the British forces have branches nearby, in fact, my area is more British than the UK, daft as that may sound. Strangely enough, we don't have any Mosques.

I'm still baffled by the numbers wanting to return home.
the BH has been here for 3yrs now, working in an international centre, living in Spanish parts of the city, nothing to do with expats out of work except for the occaisional invite round for a meal.
I came out finally 6m ago after the BH had found a house in a very Spanish village surrounded by olives.
We have found that many expats are so full of themselves, running off home on Ryanair to get the "necessities of life" whilst we have adapted ourselves to what the Spanish buy, eat the same food - it hasnt killed them !

We rarely make comparison with UK prices, its more a balance of 1 or 2c extra in the local P'Aqui or Spar against Alcampo 20k away in the big city. And the local shops win every time, even though the petrol is now down to €1.40/ltr.

As to BL etc - the BH suggested it just the once that I go down to the nearest RNA, who wants to drive 80k to have a drink with people who can only remember getting drunk in a foreign port or memories of the girl with big boobs from 30 years ago ??
Old May 24th 2012, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HBG
Well, I'm getting worried. I have a lovely house in the sun, a sparkling swimming pool, a garage full of books to read, two dogs and a wife whose Spanish is better than her English.

Yet I find myself switching on my computer in the morning and going straight into web sites advertising property for sale in Essex and East Anglia. I've even looked in Scotland and Cornwall.

I've done it this morning. I haven't bothered with the news and don't even know if we're at war. I found a house at Woodbridge, where my daughter lives. But the garden is too big, I'm struggling with a smaller garden in Spain and nothing is going to grow until September when the rains start again.

Nowt as queer as folk, eh?
Thought of Dorset? I've got a three bed detached house close to Wimborne, secluded gdn. (Poole/Sandbanks 7 miles away, Bournemouth 10), v.close to A31 so access to motorway network (M27 approx 15 miles), New Forest 18 miles,?
Old May 24th 2012, 8:36 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I can think of a few more reasons.

Illness, homesickness, relationship break-up, getting cheated by the authorities, your house being bulldozed . . .

Etc etc.

....or, it was never meant to be permanent and it was time to return (which was us, after eight years).
Old May 24th 2012, 8:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I thought the article was about expats going home. Holiday home owners have never left home. .
The article, in typical DM style, tried to imply that, but as far as I can find there was nothing in the survey to corroborate that.

It just panders to DM readers who hate the idea of someone living in Spain and they love the opportunity to crow about them all having to come back with their tails between their legs.

It's the same when the temperature struggles above 20c in the UK, the paper always produces an article with the headline "Hotter than Majorca" or some thing similar just to prove that you don't have to live in Spain to have nice weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.