Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 28th 2012, 9:46 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

We could hear them from right across the valley as if they were next door. Sometimes seemed to go on all night....I miss them. Hear one a few doors away but only if I am at the end of the garden. In Spain I could hear them in bed, shows how effective the double glazing was
Old May 28th 2012, 10:48 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I could hear a local rousing the flock at 4.15 this morning
My neighbours even start up at midnight in the middle of Winter, when he switches the lights on in the hencree to fool them into thinking it's the middle of Summer.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, JaƩn
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

As I am someone who was born and bred in a village in Wiltshire, I am so used to hearing the sound of cockerels and hens, that I miss the sounds when I do not hear them, so I am lucky in the fact, that I can here them everyday......BUT, one sound I do not miss is the noise of barking dogs..

Returning to the OP about 34% of expats want to sell up!!!!!!!.......I still feel that this figure is made of many who are holiday home owners and overstretched their finances to the point of being stupid...THINKING they would make a fast buck.....It is no use these people handing keys back, as banks will try to recover any losses.......YES, there are those who wish to return for other reasons, but that happens in any country..

Both of us say we are more European than British and wherever we have ventured within Europe, we have always tried to learn basic phrases....I say this, as I know for a fact, some people come to Spain to live and expect the locals to converse in English and are unable to understand why they do not get anywhere.....we are still in the learning stages, but at least we can make ourselves understood....yes, we do get things wrong, but the locals will either correct us or will help in other ways...

I believe the betting is now on, for when Spain will change back to the peseta....ANY bets for later this year???...

But we be happy...
Old May 28th 2012, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It is no use these people handing keys back, as banks will try to recover any losses..........[/QUOTE]

Rightly so as well
Old May 28th 2012, 12:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
It is no use these people handing keys back, as banks will try to recover any losses..........
Rightly so as well[/QUOTE]

Meaning the banks should not take any responsibility for their stupid risk taking and excessive greed ???
Old May 28th 2012, 1:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Meaning the banks should not take any responsibility for their stupid risk taking and excessive greed ???
heaven forbid - they are teflon coated, never do any wrong, its always someone elses fault

and it is their contractual right to get paid massive bonuses for failure whilst paying you 0.5% on your deposits but charging 15% on your loans.

Old May 28th 2012, 1:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish banks have a peculiar way of dealing with repossessions, the premises are often trashed by the re-possessed people and the banks leave them that way and half-heartedly put them up for sale at prices to cover the bank's losses. It doesn't work because nobody in their right mind would buy such a property.

In the case of people returning the keys and fleeing to the UK, the banks try and pursue them if it doesn't cost them anything, or not very much anyway - but they are reluctant to spend money on solicitors and stay clear of debt recovery agents who cost a lot of money. They only pursue the easy cases where there is a substantial house or other funds to easily recover.

It's easy to see why. The big lenders, like the Cajas now taken over by Bankia, are bankrupt themselves and don't have the money to go after their own debtors.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

While youre speaking of Bankia, a friend of mine has her pension paid into Bankia.They have changed the IBAN number, Im presuming thats everywhere, so if anyone on here banks with them for their pension it will be worthwhile checking this out, because there may be a delay in payments.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Rightly so as well
Meaning the banks should not take any responsibility for their stupid risk taking and excessive greed ???[/QUOTE]
Meaning the people that took the loans are responsible for them!
The banks have been greedy ok but surely the individual also has responsibility or did the banks actually force them to take loans? I can't see how just accepting that people can ignore their responsibilities will bring this fiasco that Europe and re housing Spain finds itself in.

Last edited by bobd22; May 28th 2012 at 1:47 pm. Reason: addition
Old May 28th 2012, 2:07 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bobd22
Meaning the people that took the loans are responsible for them!
The banks have been greedy ok but surely the individual also has responsibility or did the banks actually force them to take loans? I can't see how just accepting that people can ignore their responsibilities will bring this fiasco that Europe and re housing Spain finds itself in.[/QUOTE]

I clearly did NOT say that.

Of course the punters have a responsibility, but as the banks are on the inside track with much more information at their disposal and in total control of the way the contract is conducted, they should be at least as aware, if not more so, of the risks they are getting involved in, and as such should accept their own share of the responsibility.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I said and agree with your point yes we now know that the banks were greedy but so were many people that bought and I personally do not condone them just walking away and leaving their mess for others even the banks to clear up. I believe in the 7 p's in life and yes I bought with a mortgage at the wrong time and struggled with the falling pound and the value of my house but I went to the bank for the mortgage not them coming to me. There were times I felt QUITE worried but I did have contingency plans to make sure I could pay my debt which I have done. I fully understands peoples anger at the greed of banks but they are also feeding the greed of their shareholders.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:05 am
Banned

Abujerome is an unknown quantity at this point

I think in this area, Marbella, 34% of Brits have already gone home in the last 3 years due to lack of jobs ! Most of my friends have...
Old May 29th 2012, 9:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abujerome
I think in this area, Marbella, 34% of Brits have already gone home in the last 3 years due to lack of jobs ! Most of my friends have...
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary