Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 21st 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

well I'm firmly in the 66% of people who aren't selling...I only just bought the place
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:36 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish land registry is probably the most reliable source for housing data for the whole of Spain. It shows a yearly fall in prices for the past five years.

For expats, the TINSA figures are pretty meaningless, we don't live in Northern Spain, we live in the south, along the coasts and in the sun, and the falls in the expat areas are much higher.

And the million or so British expats have had to endure property fraud on a horrendous scale for many years. It seems that the entire Spanish system, from top to bottom, is geared up to defraud foreigners.

You can't close your eyes to it, the newspapers are full of it on a daily basis. Thousands of expats are fighting court cases all over the expat areas, most of them for years and years.

Even the incredibly strong lure of the sun can't hide the facts, and future expats, if they're brave enough, only need to dip into the internet to be educated - if they want to be.
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:23 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

two Spanish owned/run estate agents around here have closed down, one last summer.
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:25 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We sold up and moved back,but it was only partly to do with the exchange rate. It's just that we always knew our move was not permanent and we thought that if we left it we would not be able to sell our house at all due to the 'crisis'. Didn't expect to sell it so quickly! (although as some of you will remember, the sale took nearly nine months to complete!).
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:37 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think ex-pats selling has always been a high figure even in the "good" years. I have known people who only stayed one winter, others who went back to the UK and came back to Spain, one left for Florida, another for France. Then there is illness, death, divorce.

As I said it is bound to be a high figure cos despite what estate agents say not many are managing to sell so the total accumulates. People who returned to the UK in 2007 when work became scarce have still not managed to sell.
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think ex-pats selling has always been a high figure even in the "good" years. I have known people who only stayed one winter, others who went back to the UK and came back to Spain, one left for Florida, another for France. Then there is illness, death, divorce.

As I said it is bound to be a high figure cos despite what estate agents say not many are managing to sell so the total accumulates. People who returned to the UK in 2007 when work became scarce have still not managed to sell.
For what it's worth my view is bought our little house to live in when we retire that's still our plan. We never planned to make on it or lose on it which if we sold now we would greatly. Our plans continue to retire there we have had set backs , bought at the wrong time and had to put up with falling £ rates while we had the mortgage opposite now mortgage paid off. However we have got by by cutting our cloth accordingly and will hopefully next year achieve what we planned. After that who knows but we will have achieved what we set out to do and hopefully enjoy our little place in the sun.

Sorry didn't mean to quote

Last edited by bobd22; May 23rd 2012 at 10:39 am. Reason: addition
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:14 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Daily Mail has picked up the report!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mor...y-teeters.html
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the number has gone down by one at least as I've just heard half an hour ago that one British-owned house near me has been sold!

It went on the market last September and they have accepted an offer (from Scandinavian buyers) 10% below the asking price, so that's not too bad in this climate. It is going through as the owner has arrived today to go to the notary later this week.

I'm encouraged to know that houses near me are still selling, at the right price - even though I don't want to try to sell mine for another 4 years at least.
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
For what it's worth my view is bought our little house to live in when we retire that's still our plan. We never planned to make on it or lose on it which if we sold now we would greatly. Our plans continue to retire there we have had set backs , bought at the wrong time and had to put up with falling £ rates while we had the mortgage opposite now mortgage paid off. However we have got by by cutting our cloth accordingly and will hopefully next year achieve what we planned. After that who knows but we will have achieved what we set out to do and hopefully enjoy our little place in the sun.

Sorry didn't mean to quote

well bob thats good news for a change.
as you say, people have to cut their cloth etc. some are too proud to do it whilst some too proud (or is it just stupid) not to.

our method may be wrong but.....
we assess the value of a house on a comparison with a UK house, well built, mod cons, heating (!), etc etc. ac we generally don't factor in unless it has no heating.
like it or not but Spanish houses are not built to the same standards as UK, but when they want more for it they can take a hike - the long way.!
I couldnt care less how much (or how litttle) they paid for it and must see a profit on their deal - their problem not mine! I'm not paying for their mistakes.!
If the house is only worth X to me I will walk away if the want X +++.
quite honestly - find another mug, I'm not playing.

The thing is what the house is worth today, not 2, 3, 5, 10 years ago, and its what it is worth to the buyer in a buyers market.

We will stay in a low priced rental, not perfect, not ideal, until we find the right house at the right price or there abouts. I have no compassion for Brits who paid over the odds and want their money back, it was the same in the Uk 20 years ago. just don't expect me to bail you out, you won't be there to bail me out.

rant over
nice day again with a good forecast for the next few

Old May 23rd 2012, 3:40 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Daily Mail has picked up the report!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mor...y-teeters.html
I won't comment on the article, but some of the hundreds of comments that follow (and I haven't read them all) are hilarious. I don't know what they call lunatic asylums nowadays, but whatever they're called, they must get free daily deliveries of the Daily Mail.
Old May 23rd 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I won't comment on the article, but some of the hundreds of comments that follow (and I haven't read them all) are hilarious. I don't know what they call lunatic asylums nowadays, but whatever they're called, they must get free daily deliveries of the Daily Mail.
The ones that are feeling the pain are those that bit off more than they could chew, those that took on more debt than they could handle, those who have to move back home for health reasons or whatever or those that bought for investment purposes, thinking they could off load their investment onto someone new.

If you own outright, have a regular income in sterling and are in good health, live in a good community......enjoy yourself and make the most of it, there are far worse places to live.....all that there is left to do is ride the storm that is brewing in many places in the EU.
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:16 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by casa del sol
The ones that are feeling the pain are those that bit off more than they could chew, those that took on more debt than they could handle, those who have to move back home for health reasons or whatever or those that bought for investment purposes, thinking they could off load their investment onto someone new.

If you own outright, have a regular income in sterling and are in good health, live in a good community......enjoy yourself and make the most of it, there are far worse places to live.....all that there is left to do is ride the storm that is brewing in many places in the EU.
A sensible post, from and for sensible people. Unfortunately, and not only drawing from the DM article, it's far removed from the reality of expats who are now in trouble.

The 'over the top' DM article mentions 400,000 expats desperate to get home, the figure must be wrong, it's got to be far less, but there are still too many wanting to return home.

Why?
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
The ones that are feeling the pain are those that bit off more than they could chew, those that took on more debt than they could handle, (snip).
Originally Posted by HBG
A sensible post, from and for sensible people. (snip)
Strangely when I make similar comments about those who've come to grief in the UK market, all I get is 'Not everyone is able to ...blah blah blah' type noises.
Aren't we all responsible for being responsible? Or is that WAAAY too non-pc/etc?
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:41 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fionamw
Strangely when I make similar comments about those who've come to grief in the UK market, all I get is 'Not everyone is able to ...blah blah blah' type noises.
Aren't we all responsible for being responsible? Or is that WAAAY too non-pc/etc?
You're meandering, girl, a lovely trait for meanderings. There's no harm in blocking out reality, most of the time it sucks
Old May 24th 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
well I'm firmly in the 66% of people who aren't selling...I only just bought the place
Ditto. We bought a house in January and are in the process of renovating with a view to eventually retiring there. For now, we're using it as a holiday home and loving the luxury of having our own place with all our own stuff in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.