Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 25th 2012, 9:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Originally Posted by JLFS
Some posters seem to think that the Spainsh are a bit simple, at least that is what is seems like to me.

To say that we are welcoming to foreigners per se is not true.

Just like in the UK, mothers of school age children do not like it when lack of language skill from the newcomers hold their own children back in class.

forgigners are seen to be undercutting locals for jobs, and this causes resentment, unless you are on the receiving end of a good deal.

Tourists puking in the streets on the costas are a bugbear with the locals, unless they are spending their money in YOUR bar.

At least you make a profit from the puke in the streets, whereas the local housewives dont.

All the things that the folks in the UK complain about when the subject of foreigners is discussed, holds true in Spain.

Why would anyone think that it is not like that, we are not a breed apart, we are the same just like Germans Italians and Bruts etc?
of course there will be some resentment - especially now with la crisis

it doesn't help though with misinformation in the Spanish press about brits getting free healthcare - & I mean totally free with no payment made by the UK........ we know that that isn't generally the case - but at least one newspaper reported it that way

a lot of foreigners don't help the situation either

I've been in & out of the doctors this week with my dd - one of the receptionists uses the same bar as I do, & we're usually there at the same time, and occasionally have a little chat

it's part of her job to issue SIP cards, & I've often been in there when someone who speaks not a word of Spanish is kicking off at her because they either don't have all the right paperwork or simply aren't entitled to a card - once or twice I've stepped in to help & have explained what's what - sometimes to just be told 'these bloody Spanish just like to make it hard for us'

waiting outside the doctor's room the other day, there were half a dozen Brits waiting for a different doctor - they actually said to me 'why are you seeing Dr. Orts - he can't speak English'

the receptionist walked past - they said loudly to each other 'got a face like a slapped ar$e that one - never smiles' & other equally nasty things - I know she can't speak much English, & I just hope she didn't understand them

on her way back she nodded at me, I smiled, she stopped for a chat & we had a bit of a laugh about something or other

the brits waiting were gobsmacked

I said - 'Well, if you make an effort the world is a different place. Spanish people love to chat - if she can't chat with you because YOU don't make the effort to learn her language, why would she bother?'

they try really hard to accommodate all the different nationalities that use that clinic - they try to give you an appointment with a doctor who speaks your language

why wouldn't they resent all the extra work these people cause them - & although it isn't true - for something they don't even pay for?

Last edited by lynnxa; May 25th 2012 at 9:31 pm.
Old May 25th 2012, 9:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

The only spaniards who welcome guiris are the ones whose business is related to residential tourism.
Just a couple of weeks ago I spent some time with some friends from Pamplona. They couldn't have been more hospitable, and drove us many places around Navarra and Bilbao, refusing all offers to help with petrol or toll fees. Nothing to do with residential tourism at all. Obviously not everyone is as hospitable, but over many years I've seen similar behaviour from Spanish people in different parts of the country.
That's why I wonder if J2 has even been to Spain sometimes when she comes out with such a remark. (as for JLFS, he should make his mind up. Either he's someone who spent most of his life in the UK and done good, as he often boasts, or he can lecture us on what the Spanish are really like - BUT he can't have it both ways).
Old May 25th 2012, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
of course there will be some resentment - especially now with la crisis

it doesn't help though with misinformation in the Spanish press about brits getting free healthcare - & I mean totally free with no payment made by the UK........ we know that that isn't generally the case - but at least one newspaper reported it that way

a lot of foreigners don't help the situation either

I've been in & out of the doctors this week with my dd - one of the receptionists uses the same bar as I do, & we're usually there at the same time, and occasionally have a little chat

it's part of her job to issue SIP cards, & I've often been in there when someone who speaks not a word of Spanish is kicking off at her because they either don't have all the right paperwork or simply aren't entitled to a card - once or twice I've stepped in to help & have explained what's what - sometimes to just be told 'these bloody Spanish just like to make it hard for us'

waiting outside the doctor's room the other day, there were half a dozen Brits waiting for a different doctor - they actually said to me 'why are you seeing Dr. Orts - he can't speak English'

the receptionist walked past - they said loudly to each other 'got a face like a slapped ar$e that one - never smiles' & other equally nasty things - I know she can't speak much English, & I just hope she didn't understand them

on her way back she nodded at me, I smiled, she stopped for a chat & we had a bit of a laugh about something or other

the brits waiting were gobsmacked

I said - 'Well, if you make an effort the world is a different place. Spanish people love to chat - if she can't chat with you because YOU don't make the effort to learn her language, why would she bother?'

they try really hard to accommodate all the different nationalities that use that clinic - they try to give you an appointment with a doctor who speaks your language

why wouldn't they resent all the extra work these people cause them - & although it isn't true - for something they don't even pay for?
Absolutely right, Lynn. In my experience Spanish people are initially welcoming to everybody, but as time goes by and some foreigners (and I suppose I mean Brits really because they are the worst offenders) have made no effort to learn enough Spanish to be able to communicate with their neighbours, used only fellow Brits to do any work required on their houses, and drive out of the area to buy stuff from shops where they don't have to speak Spanish, people get rather disenchanted with them - and why wouldn't they?
Old May 25th 2012, 9:51 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Just a couple of weeks ago I spent some time with some friends from Pamplona. They couldn't have been more hospitable, and drove us many places around Navarra and Bilbao, refusing all offers to help with petrol or toll fees. Nothing to do with residential tourism at all. Obviously not everyone is as hospitable, but over many years I've seen similar behaviour from Spanish people in different parts of the country.
That's why I wonder if J2 has even been to Spain sometimes when she comes out with such a remark. (as for JLFS, he should make his mind up. Either he's someone who spent most of his life in the UK and done good, as he often boasts, or he can lecture us on what the Spanish are really like - BUT he can't have it both ways).
a few points, I have never boasted that I have done good (your words, what I have stated often is for all the moaners about the UK, that the UK has been good for/to them as they are now "living their dream" on the results of their lives spend there.

What I have often said is that the posters on here have a lot to thank the UK for, as most were not born rich, and thanks to the UK they live well in most cases.

I have often stated that when the going gets tough a lot of Brits head back to UK, but the Spanish in uk do not head back to Spain, when things are bad in the UK, as they know that Spain will not be as generous and good to them as the UK will be. IE they know where they will b e better off, as in your case, couldnt hack it in spain (for whater reason the result is the same)and so headed back to UK,

another point that I have been trying to make for ages is, people are people and this "how does he know how all Spanish people think" crap that you often bang on about is totally irrelevant.

We are people just like the brits, if the brits in general dont like foreigners, then niether do the Spanish or Germans.
If the brits dont like foreigners undercutting and taking jobs, then neither do the Italians or Spanish,

Is that so hard for you to understand, you dont have to be an expert on the Spanish to know that it is human nature, instead of trying to paint spain as a country of sinnpletons, who welcome all and sundry with open arms, like Noddyland, why dont you try using your brain for once?

People are people and we have more in common than you think despite being 2 different countries.
Old May 25th 2012, 9:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Absolutely right, Lynn. In my experience Spanish people are initially welcoming to everybody, but as time goes by and some foreigners (and I suppose I mean Brits really because they are the worst offenders) have made no effort to learn enough Spanish to be able to communicate with their neighbours, used only fellow Brits to do any work required on their houses, and drive out of the area to buy stuff from shops where they don't have to speak Spanish, people get rather disenchanted with them - and why wouldn't they?
exactly

I remember my Spanish teacher when we first came over saying much the same thing

the Spanish don't necessarily expect you learn enough of the language to hold an in depth conversation - but if you are walking into their veg shop after 10 years & still pointing at the spuds, because you haven't learned to even say 'patatas' - then they will quite reasonably get a bit peed off

now they might just be grateful you're buying from them rather than in Iceland - but 9 years ago there wasn't that option
Old May 25th 2012, 10:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I do not understand the mentality of people who will not learn even a few basic things to help them with their shopping or ordering food in a restaurant.

Rosemary
Old May 25th 2012, 10:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll ignore the other stuff, as I don't want to cause another meltdown on such a nice day, but I can certainly agree 100% with the last statement

People are people and we have more in common than you think despite being 2 different countries.
Old May 25th 2012, 11:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

A sensible discussion must have different viewpoints, and I'm going to attempt a contrary one.

Surely Spanish kids should benefit from having a few foreigners in their classrooms, a few blue eyes in a sea of brown bringing with them a bit of their culture from across the seas.

Puking in the street is disgusting, especially on top of several inches of dog shit.

I can't think of anything else that's contrary, I find the Spanish people no different to English or German ones, and have found good, bad and indifferent.

(I forgot about the lisp, but I've learnt how to do it).
Old May 25th 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Good points well made, the same in the UK many resent people who move in from overseas, have no intention of trying to learn the language and choose live in ghetto areas, we are all the same but different depending what suits at the time.
Old May 26th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
A poster on another forum said that your area is full of gitanos.
So what if it is? Are Ricardoylucia not able to be happy where they live if there are gitanos amongst their neighbours?

As I've often said before, I have quite a few gitano neighbours. Some of them are rogues and best avoided, others are perfectly nice families who have jobs, bring up their children well and keep their houses and the street outside clean and well looked after. There is one family just along the street from me where the father works for the Council as a street sweeper, as does his eldest daughter who lives in her own house, and two of his sons also work for the Council at night as refuse collectors (some serious enchufismo going on there, I don't know how they do it!). Another son is disabled so probably gets some kind of benefits. They have done up their own house to within an inch of it's life, and within the last couple of years have bought up two smaller houses nearby, one damaged by a fire and the other pretty much a ruin. One of them has already been done up and they are now working on the second (one for each of the working sons to live in), and do the vast majority of the work themselves during the daytime, then go to work at night. What is the problem with having people like these as neighbours? We've had many acts of kindness and generosity from them, and they've gained no financial benefit from us at all (not that they need it) although my OH does lend them tools when they need them. I don't care if people do manual jobs to earn a living, it's honest work which is useful to society. Better that than some crooked lawyer or local politician who is ripping people off or collaborating in them being saddled with illegal houses.

Last edited by Lynn R; May 26th 2012 at 12:45 am. Reason: typo
Old May 26th 2012, 1:05 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You have taken me out of context I was replying to this by Ricardo "reminiscent of Corfe Mullen about 50/60 years ago.."
Just pointing out that some residents reckon it's not so idyllic.

Nevertheless, I shall be honest, I wouldn't live close to any gyppos if I could help it, in any country.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:25 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well I'll ignore the other stuff, as I don't want to cause another meltdown on such a nice day, but I can certainly agree 100% with the last statement
So if you agree 100 percent with my sentiment, why would you keep saying that I cannot have an opinion about Spanish because I was brought up in the uk, if we are all the same?

A bit of a contradiction.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:54 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

So what if it is? Are Ricardoylucia not able to be happy where they live if there are gitanos amongst their neighbours?

As I've often said before, I have quite a few gitano neighbours. Some of them are rogues and best avoided, others are perfectly nice families who have jobs, bring up their children well and keep their houses and the street outside clean and well looked after. There is one family just along the street from me where the father works for the Council as a street sweeper, as does his eldest daughter who lives in her own house, and two of his sons also work for the Council at night as refuse collectors (some serious enchufismo going on there, I don't know how they do it!). Another son is disabled so probably gets some kind of benefits. They have done up their own house to within an inch of it's life, and within the last couple of years have bought up two smaller houses nearby, one damaged by a fire and the other pretty much a ruin. One of them has already been done up and they are now working on the second (one for each of the working sons to live in), and do the vast majority of the work themselves during the daytime, then go to work at night. What is the problem with having people like these as neighbours? We've had many acts of kindness and generosity from them, and they've gained no financial benefit from us at all (not that they need it) although my OH does lend them tools when they need them. I don't care if people do manual jobs to earn a living, it's honest work which is useful to society. Better that than some crooked lawyer or local politician who is ripping people off or collaborating in them being saddled with illegal houses.
The people you describe don't sound like Gypsies, just ordinary Andalucians.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
I dont think that any general population of any country likes the gypsies.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HBG
They are most definitely gitanos, in fact they along with other gitano families around, went to great pains to point that out to us when we first arrived, they are actually proud of the fact. It's just that not all of them fit the stereotype (and it's undeniably true that the "payo" Spanish neighbours don't interact with the gitano ones at all, they don't even greet each other in the street). I prefer to judge people as individuals, and if they behave well towards me then I get on well with them and treat them well in return, I don't care what cultural, racial or whatever label they come with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.