Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 26th 2012, 3:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
(as for JLFS, he should make his mind up. Either he's someone who spent most of his life in the UK and done good, as he often boasts, or he can lecture us on what the Spanish are really like - BUT he can't have it both ways).

Just a crying shame that you aren't even half as well informed and knowledgable about both countries, then you wouldn't need to spend half your life dredging up so many pointless and misleading links.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Absolutely right, Lynn. In my experience Spanish people are initially welcoming to everybody, but as time goes by and some foreigners (and I suppose I mean Brits really because they are the worst offenders) have made no effort to learn enough Spanish to be able to communicate with their neighbours, used only fellow Brits to do any work required on their houses, and drive out of the area to buy stuff from shops where they don't have to speak Spanish, people get rather disenchanted with them - and why wouldn't they?
And of course the opposite can be true. We have just come back after a few weeks in Spain, a Spanish friend invited us over as one of his rental properties was empty for 10 days (rare for him). We stayed 8 days, and after a few days I asked him how much I owed him, (he always gives us a discount), and he said I invited you, I don't want anything! Probably worth about £450! We took the family out for a nice meal, and I got him on his own and told him we didn't come expecting una estancia gratis, we must pay him. He said OK, £100 towards cleaning electricity etc, but we left a thank you card with considerably more than that in it. Similar, a bar we frequent, we popped in on the last night to say goodbye, he wouldn't let us pay for our drinks, but we had put a fair bit of business and tips his way. Also at the baggage check in, I asked the unsmiling check in girl in Spanish for the seats we wanted, her face lit up, congratulated me on my Spanish, said how rare it was for the passengers to speak Spanish and asked me where we wanted to sit. What a lovely lady! Certainly speaking the lingo hasn't done me any harm, I've always gotten on very well with the Spanish, but then I don't come the high and mighty Brit.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
And of course the opposite can be true. We have just come back after a few weeks in Spain, a Spanish friend invited us over as one of his rental properties was empty for 10 days (rare for him). We stayed 8 days, and after a few days I asked him how much I owed him, (he always gives us a discount), and he said I invited you, I don't want anything! Probably worth about £450! We took the family out for a nice meal, and I got him on his own and told him we didn't come expecting una estancia gratis, we must pay him. He said OK, £100 towards cleaning electricity etc, but we left a thank you card with considerably more than that in it. Similar, a bar we frequent, we popped in on the last night to say goodbye, he wouldn't let us pay for our drinks, but we had put a fair bit of business and tips his way. Also at the baggage check in, I asked the unsmiling check in girl in Spanish for the seats we wanted, her face lit up, congratulated me on my Spanish, said how rare it was for the passengers to speak Spanish and asked me where we wanted to sit. What a lovely lady! Certainly speaking the lingo hasn't done me any harm, I've always gotten on very well with the Spanish, but then I don't come the high and mighty Brit.
exactly - learn to speak the language as well as you can - or at least TRY & it's a whole different ballgame

as I think I said a few posts ago.............

the heat must be getting to me - I'm agreeing with you
Old May 26th 2012, 3:54 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
They are most definitely gitanos, in fact they along with other gitano families around, went to great pains to point that out to us when we first arrived, they are actually proud of the fact. It's just that not all of them fit the stereotype (and it's undeniably true that the "payo" Spanish neighbours don't interact with the gitano ones at all, they don't even greet each other in the street). I prefer to judge people as individuals, and if they behave well towards me then I get on well with them and treat them well in return, I don't care what cultural, racial or whatever label they come with.
My Liberal instincts make me want to agree with you, but, maybe sadly, if Gypsies moved into my street, I would have to move out. And I know for certain that my Spanish neighbours would, they hate them.

Some Liberal, eh?
Old May 26th 2012, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of recent posts to agree with in this thread; am I being a miseryguts or did I not have a bit of a rant about people not being prepared to speak a few words of the language of their 'host' nation and get pretty roundly hammered for it? !!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=language
Old May 26th 2012, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it makes all the difference - I have come across many instances of Spanish people being pleased and surprised that I speak Spanish - doctors, nurses, funcionarios, even people I have a casual chat with at the bus stop. They always, without exception, remark that most of "los ingleses" don't speak Spanish. I suppose it comes as a relief to them to come across one who does, after the countless struggles they must have to get through to people in their daily life. Not coming across as "the high and mighty Brit" is so important, some people appear to think we are still in colonial days (not that Britain ever colonised Spain) and that they are in some way doing Spain a favour by coming here to live, whilst regarding "the natives" as incompetent, untrustworthy and lazy.
Old May 26th 2012, 7:36 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's positively dangerous at times not knowing at least some of the language.

When I first came over I went into a tobacconists to buy a packet of Benson and Hedges. A rather tall and aggressive Spaniard said something like 'Dig me.' I only wanted a packet of fags and he said it again. 'Dig me.'

I was flummoxed. I didn't want to dig anyone, all I wanted was a packet of B&H. I had to get some in the bar next door.
Old May 26th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Had an interesting conversation with our waiter in our local venta last night about Spanish/English and cockerel came up and he thought it highly amusing to shorten it to "cock". Kept giggling away.

For myself I would love to be able to spend 3-6 months in each country. I love Spain but I do get very bored too. Also once you have grandkids the pull back to the UK is tremendous.
Old May 26th 2012, 9:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Had an interesting conversation with our waiter in our local venta last night about Spanish/English and cockerel came up and he thought it highly amusing to shorten it to "cock". Kept giggling away.

For myself I would love to be able to spend 3-6 months in each country. I love Spain but I do get very bored too. Also once you have grandkids the pull back to the UK is tremendous.
hah! Did your waiter spend time in northern England at any point?

Very good point about the pull of friends and relations. I have an elderly aunt who keeps coming back to settle in England, as she gets the rent and bills paid, yet every couple of years she gives up her flat to go back to south Africa where a majority of her immediate family live. Even in these days of internet and free voice calls, people want to live close to their loved ones.
Old May 26th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
hah! Did your waiter spend time in northern England at any point?

Very good point about the pull of friends and relations. I have an elderly aunt who keeps coming back to settle in England, as she gets the rent and bills paid, yet every couple of years she gives up her flat to go back to south Africa where a majority of her immediate family live. Even in these days of internet and free voice calls, people want to live close to their loved ones.
Nope, he couldn´t speak any English up to a few months ago and now loves practising it. I have two friends one here in Spain and another in Cyprus who want to move back, both have grandchildren too. With the one who lives in Cyprus her husband is just as desperate to stay in Cyprus so what will happen there I don´t know.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
And those Spanish cockerels go kikiriki, how daft is that, everyone knows they go cock-a-doodle-do!
Old May 27th 2012, 12:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

And those Spanish cockerels go kikiriki, how daft is that, everyone knows they go cock-a-doodle-do!
well the one which wakes me up every morning definitely crows cock-a-doodle-do
Old May 27th 2012, 2:17 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Another story about the pain in Spain for ex-pats. Some Brit must be earning a bit flogging these stories to the British media

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ta-dreams.html
Old May 27th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Another story about the pain in Spain for ex-pats. Some Brit must be earning a bit flogging these stories to the British media

I think some of the people quoted in this story must have been reading this forum - a lot of the stuff about people moving out without realising how hard it would be to find work, those most likely to rip people off being fellow Brits, etc. sounds awfully familiar!

I don't know where the figures for the increased cost of bread and milk come from, though, I can't remember the last time either of them went up in Mercadona - not that the cost of those items would make all that much of a dent in the budget, really.
Old May 27th 2012, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Funnily enough we stayed there last week, and I see a Brit bar had closed! Chatting to the locals, they all seemed to reckon things were fairly quiet, trade has taken a big hit, certainly we saw bars closing early in the evenings through lack of customers. Saw another with drinks €1 on certain nights, and meals at €5. The owner of another restaurant joined us for a drink in a bar as he had no customers. There is a Brit bar in the village but never went there, so no idea how they are faring. We did pop down one evening to Nerja, and that seemed to be buzzing with visitors. We finished up with a few days in Málaga, and that was jumping, all the posh fish restaurants, marisquerias etc were still doing great business.
I knew we could only be in Spain when a huge motorway roadside sign proclaimed, "Legaliza tu casa" And a guy with his 2/3 year old daughter stood up on his scooter, no crash hats, coming down a one way street the wrong way. Followed by the Policial Local, driving one handed, mobile in the other. You couldn't make it up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.