Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 21st 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Default 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

According to the Daily Snail, 34% of ex pats in Spain now want to sell their homes and move back to the UK. due to the instability of the Euro and the mess Greece is in.
Maybe I am crazy but I still want to move to Spain.
I can't imagine any of my favourite regulars on here want to sell up and move back here, you all seem very happy with your lot.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:39 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

I am sure some on here will be selling. Not all will say will they...they have to keep the dream alive
Old May 21st 2012, 9:44 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I can believe that 34% of British owned property is for sale but to suggest that implies that 34% of expats want to move back is complete rubbish. Most of the 34% will be holiday homes.

Typical DM journalism.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

For as long as I can remember there have been people dreaming of buying and those wanting to sell in spain.

I would be interested to know where DM get the 34%, possibly like those adverts on TV from a sample of 100?
Old May 21st 2012, 10:14 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
According to the Daily Snail, 34% of ex pats in Spain now want to sell their homes and move back to the UK. due to the instability of the Euro and the mess Greece is in.
Maybe I am crazy but I still want to move to Spain.
I can't imagine any of my favourite regulars on here want to sell up and move back here, you all seem very happy with your lot.
Absolute cobblers.

Maybe we should do our own little survey and see how it compares with theirs.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
For as long as I can remember there have been people dreaming of buying and those wanting to sell in spain.

I would be interested to know where DM get the 34%, possibly like those adverts on TV from a sample of 100?
My guess is a press release from an estate agency.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:22 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
My guess is a press release from an estate agency.
That would be even more accurate than a sample of 100 <LMAO>

I have no doubt there are many who want to return to the UK, but I doubt 34% would cite
due to the instability of the Euro and the mess Greece is in
as the reason.

Last edited by missile; May 21st 2012 at 10:26 am.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt there are many who want to return to the UK, but I doubt 34% would cite as the reason.
It appears to be a survey by HiFX. Though a survey of how many I wouldn't know.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:30 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt there are many who want to return to the UK, but I doubt 34% would cite as the reason.
If anything I would have thought the increase in the strength of the pound would encourage a few waverers to stay, as their UK pension/earnings would now stretch further?
What may be forcing the issue would be those people who rent out accommodation, and finding the number of Brits taking traditional holidays are now taking weekends in Madrid, Riga or Prague instead.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:32 am
Started off with nothing

On a UK website, one person posted property is 10% of what it once was and now would be a good time to invest in Greece. Two posters told him he was an idiot.

No doubt DM would report that as 33+% of people in the UK want to buy property in Greece.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:47 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Recently, few weeks ago, I was told that where we live (inland) 99% of British expats have their property up for sale so that they can move back to UK.

I pointed out that I was most certainly not one of them and he assured me that he wasn't either - as there can be no more than 100 brit families in and around here, that figure is clearly wrong straight away!
Old May 21st 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That's as maybe but it also means that 66% of expats prefer to stay! Also there will always, have been a percentage wanting to sell up and return i.e. those that bought for early retirement and wish to return later in life for whatever reason. Plus the ones that bought and found it wasn't for them just as many who emigrate say to Australia do, to me like most statistics means nothing.

Last edited by bobd22; May 21st 2012 at 10:52 am. Reason: grammar correction
Old May 21st 2012, 10:53 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by fionamw
It appears to be a survey by HiFX. Though a survey of how many I wouldn't know.
You may be right, but I could not find it. This is one HiFx "survey" I did find.
HiFx conclusions appear to be no more than wild speculation, e.g.
While 68 per cent of those questioned in 2008 claimed they missed family members and close friends back home, this figure dropped to 47 per cent in 2012, indicating the impact of the web in facilitating transnational communication.
The quality of investigative reporting in HiFx magazine THE WEEK appears to be even lower than DM.
Old May 21st 2012, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You may be right, but I could not find it. This is one HiFx "survey" I did find.
HiFx conclusions appear to be no more than wild speculation, e.g.

The quality of investigative reporting in HiFx magazine THE WEEK appears to be even lower than DM.
If you google along the lines of 34% of expats in spain want to sell you'll find it .... on a n other expat outlet!!
Old May 21st 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I read this report in The Sunday Times yesterday and at first I thought it sounded ridiculous. Then I did a quick count up of the British-owned properties I know of in my town (didn't take long as there aren't that many of them!) and realised that it isn't far off the mark. Some are people who live here who have had their properties on the market for years, some used to live here full time and have already gone back to the UK leaving their houses on the market unsold, and others are holiday homes that people want to sell.

And then there are those of us who live here and don't want to sell (including me) and other holiday home owners who aren't selling.

What percentage of homes being up for sale would be regarded as "normal"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.