Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 24th 2012, 8:43 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Originally Posted by Domino
the BH has been here for 3yrs now, working in an international centre, living in Spanish parts of the city, nothing to do with expats out of work except for the occaisional invite round for a meal.
I came out finally 6m ago after the BH had found a house in a very Spanish village surrounded by olives.
We have found that many expats are so full of themselves, running off home on Ryanair to get the "necessities of life" whilst we have adapted ourselves to what the Spanish buy, eat the same food - it hasnt killed them !

We rarely make comparison with UK prices, its more a balance of 1 or 2c extra in the local P'Aqui or Spar against Alcampo 20k away in the big city. And the local shops win every time, even though the petrol is now down to €1.40/ltr.

As to BL etc - the BH suggested it just the once that I go down to the nearest RNA, who wants to drive 80k to have a drink with people who can only remember getting drunk in a foreign port or memories of the girl with big boobs from 30 years ago ??
I can walk to my ex-forces association, but I only go about once every three or four years. Perversely, I go to a Spanish venue once a fortnight, nothing to do with the UK.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:46 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I have just received an email advising me of......

6bed villa in Mijas, CDS, was €2,500,000 now €1,350,000

someone taking BIG hit on their expectations
Old May 24th 2012, 8:47 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The article, in typical DM style, tried to imply that, but as far as I can find there was nothing in the survey to corroborate that.

It just panders to DM readers who hate the idea of someone living in Spain and they love the opportunity to crow about them all having to come back with their tails between their legs.

It's the same when the temperature struggles above 20c in the UK, the paper always produces an article with the headline "Hotter than Majorca" or some thing similar just to prove that you don't have to live in Spain to have nice weather.
I agree about the DM. What I find sad is that it's the most widely read online newspaper in the UK.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The article, in typical DM style, tried to imply that, but as far as I can find there was nothing in the survey to corroborate that.

It just panders to DM readers who hate the idea of someone living in Spain and they love the opportunity to crow about them all having to come back with their tails between their legs.

It's the same when the temperature struggles above 20c in the UK, the paper always produces an article with the headline "Hotter than Majorca" or some thing similar just to prove that you don't have to live in Spain to have nice weather.
I should imagine it is read by 99.99% UK based and will never leave's, and 0.01% expats across the world who probably have a bigger giggle at the antics of those they left at home than they do at the antics they are supposed to be up to. it does remind you why you left in the first place !

Have you noticed it is usually Bournemouth beach that gets most of the foto's ??
Old May 24th 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonysallis1
Thought of Dorset? I've got a three bed detached house close to Wimborne, secluded gdn. (Poole/Sandbanks 7 miles away, Bournemouth 10), v.close to A31 so access to motorway network (M27 approx 15 miles), New Forest 18 miles,?
Oi! My Beccles is nearer his desired location!
Old May 24th 2012, 8:57 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'm waiting until after 1.1.2013 - and here's why:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-Europe.html

I like Beccles.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Or as we like to call it, That Webbed Feet Place.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:07 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I have just received an email advising me of......

6bed villa in Mijas, CDS, was €2,500,000 now €1,350,000

someone taking BIG hit on their expectations
,,,,,which were probably unrealistic in the first place.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Or as we like to call it, That Webbed Feet Place.
Since when did Beccles become part of the Fens?

Anyway,

I don't know what to make of the fact that the only new estate agent anywhere around us is a Spanish one........... making hay while the furriners want to get out? Good business, after all. If you can sell, of course.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I thought the article was about expats going home. Holiday home owners have never left home.

I suppose the amount of foreigners wanting to return home also depends on where they live in Spain. It's natural that the saturated areas in Valencia and Malaga provinces have a higher proportion based on numbers alone.

But I admit there are other factors, many of them. It could also be that people like yourself have made more of a commitment to Spain by choosing to live in a mainly Spanish area, and are less likely to be reminded of the UK then me, for example, with a British Legion on every corner.

Along with sewing circles and bingo, where I live, all the British forces have branches nearby, in fact, my area is more British than the UK, daft as that may sound. Strangely enough, we don't have any Mosques.

I'm still baffled by the numbers wanting to return home.
It's interesting that you say that people who choose to live in a mainly Spanish area may be more likely to stay long term - amongst those Brits I've known who have either gone back already or want to do so because they're not happy here (as opposed to needing work, having other financial problems or health/family reasons), I've always felt that they might have made more of a go of it had they chosen a LESS Spanish area (yes, I know it sounds daft as it's all Spain anyway!). If they'd settled somewhere more like the one you describe they would have had a wider social circle, more activities they might have liked, and less language problems as the ones (in my experience) who go back are those who haven't chosen or tried to learn Spanish.

In my limited experience, the biggest problem factor is when one half of the couple is less committed to the move than the other. It normally tends to be the wife, and could also be something to do with the fact that in most cases the female half of the couple is a few years younger than the male and finds that they are less ready to give up work. I've known 3 couples that has happened to already, after a year or so the wife has found it impossible to settle here and either both of them have gone back, in some cases the husband stays on for a while and eventually goes back to join his wife (and I do wonder if the relationship will ever be the same if the husband is then resentful about having to go back) or sadly sometimes the relationship breaks up completely. I must be the exception that proves the rule, being 7 years younger than my OH but only too ready to give up work and still perfectly happy! Obviously there was always an inherently lazy so and so struggling to get out.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who moved to a town 5 miles from their home village in Leicestershire, and couldn't settle (they moved back a few years later). Why then is it so surprising that 34% of ex pats want to sell up and move back home?
Old May 24th 2012, 10:01 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I agree about the DM. What I find sad is that it's the most widely read online newspaper in the UK.
It seems to be the favourite of ex-pats too. Ever read the comments, Some regulars from Spain seem to have an opinion about everything
Old May 24th 2012, 10:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Probably because it's a triumph of presentation over content!
Old May 24th 2012, 10:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Lynn a lot of truth in what you say. Many say they want to live in a Spanish area but they are going to be very lonely unless they have a grasp of the language. Also despite what many say foreigners aren't always welcome, they don't always get on with folks from the next village. A bit like some places in the UK where you are an outsider if you haven't lived there 20 yrs. I can't see the figure being way off, even in the 90's there was a big turnover of brits going and coming.

We have friends and she returned to the UK before her Husband. He stuck it out for about 6 months and then returned. that is 3 years ago and the house in coín campo is still for sale!
Old May 24th 2012, 10:25 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I knew a famous literary agent a while ago, whose advice to any writer, whether a reporter for the DM or a budding author, was very simple: Sex sells.

I defy anyone reading the online Mail to completely ignore the picture stories running down the right hand side. Hard as I try, I usually find myself clicking on one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.