Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 24th 2012, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Originally Posted by HBG
You're meandering, girl, a lovely trait for meanderings. There's no harm in blocking out reality, most of the time it sucks
..well I didn't think so
Old May 24th 2012, 5:38 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm getting worried. I have a lovely house in the sun, a sparkling swimming pool, a garage full of books to read, two dogs and a wife whose Spanish is better than her English.

Yet I find myself switching on my computer in the morning and going straight into web sites advertising property for sale in Essex and East Anglia. I've even looked in Scotland and Cornwall.

I've done it this morning. I haven't bothered with the news and don't even know if we're at war. I found a house at Woodbridge, where my daughter lives. But the garden is too big, I'm struggling with a smaller garden in Spain and nothing is going to grow until September when the rains start again.

Nowt as queer as folk, eh?
Old May 24th 2012, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Well, I'm getting worried. I have a lovely house in the sun, a sparkling swimming pool, a garage full of books to read, two dogs and a wife whose Spanish is better than her English.

Yet I find myself switching on my computer in the morning and going straight into web sites advertising property for sale in Essex and East Anglia. I've even looked in Scotland and Cornwall.

I've done it this morning. I haven't bothered with the news and don't even know if we're at war. I found a house at Woodbridge, where my daughter lives. But the garden is too big, I'm struggling with a smaller garden in Spain and nothing is going to grow until September when the rains start again.

Nowt as queer as folk, eh?
You want a small garden, Suffolk, cheap as chips? My mum's in Beccles is on the market!! (tenuously on topic - she was an ex-pat of sorts)
Old May 24th 2012, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

We have NO INTENTION of ever returning to the British Isles (maybe for a holiday one day)..

Ever since we moved to Spain 9 years ago, we have heard regularly of people moving back, mainly because they were unable to accommodate the Spanish/European lifestyle. We live in a very small village near a town called Alcala la Real and having been in our old mortgage free village house, we have itchy feet and would love to relocate closer to our friends (about 20 kilometres away).....

We love Spain, the people, atmosphere, the way of life..

Our impression and as well as our Spanish friends of the 34% returning, which the Daily Fail does not say, is about the numbers are of those who own holiday homes - we reckon 33% are all holiday homes and maybe 1% are returning for other reasons...
Old May 24th 2012, 11:46 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
We have NO INTENTION of ever returning to the British Isles (maybe for a holiday one day)..

Ever since we moved to Spain 9 years ago, we have heard regularly of people moving back, mainly because they were unable to accommodate the Spanish/European lifestyle. We live in a very small village near a town called Alcala la Real and having been in our old mortgage free village house, we have itchy feet and would love to relocate closer to our friends (about 20 kilometres away).....

We love Spain, the people, atmosphere, the way of life..

Our impression and as well as our Spanish friends of the 34% returning, which the Daily Fail does not say, is about the numbers are of those who own holiday homes - we reckon 33% are all holiday homes and maybe 1% are returning for other reasons...
What a refreshing post from one of the happy 66%, to which I also belong.

I do have to point out that the supposed 33% who wish to return home are not holiday home owners - the latter don't count in the statistics because they don't live in Spain.

Whatever the true numbers are for expats who wish to return home, it is still surprising that so many want to.
Old May 24th 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

If they are not holiday home owners, we can only think of two reasons, those who had mortgages etc to buy property and others who maybe have or are living beyond their means..

We survive on my state pension and a small company pension, BUT we feel we are comfortably well off....we are not frugal, but are much happier than if we we were still living back in the UK..
Old May 24th 2012, 12:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
If they are not holiday home owners, we can only think of two reasons, those who had mortgages etc to buy property and others who maybe have or are living beyond their means..

We survive on my state pension and a small company pension, BUT we feel we are comfortably well off....we are not frugal, but are much happier than if we we were still living back in the UK..
I can think of a few more reasons.

Illness, homesickness, relationship break-up, getting cheated by the authorities, your house being bulldozed . . .

Etc etc.
Old May 24th 2012, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that pre the financial crisis in all countries there were too many people that didn't think through what they were doing and bought way above their means and needs that is in the UK and abroad. However I think in the UK certainly the Government is in many ways helping these people out by keeping interest rates etc very low in order that they can hang onto the property that in reality they could never afford. This of course in turn also helps out the banks and the country preventing the wholesale defaulting on mortgages and total collapse of the housing market. In Spain this is not the case as they didn't or were not allowed to prop the market up to the same extent due to the constraints of being in the Euro. I suppose time will tell who's plan is the better. We should also not forget the massive affect the UK's plans have had on pensions and savers rewards, of course as always you never get anything for nothing.

Last edited by bobd22; May 24th 2012 at 12:40 pm. Reason: grammar
Old May 24th 2012, 3:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Falling house prices must be a factor, especially if all informed opinion sees no end to it. Supposing your house in Spain is now worth 150K, already down from 250K a few years ago, and the Bank of Spain predicts it will only be worth a 100K in a couple of years time - as they have done.

At the same time the pound Sterling is rising against the Euro, again predicted by all sensible opinion to rise further because of the trouble in the Eurozone.

So, if you sell your house in two years time for 100K Euros and the pound is back up to where it used to be, you'll be going home with something like £65,000.

Where I come from it will buy you F-all.
Old May 24th 2012, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think that pre the financial crisis in all countries there were too many people that didn't think through what they were doing and bought way above their means and needs that is in the UK and abroad. However I think in the UK certainly the Government is in many ways helping these people out by keeping interest rates etc very low in order that they can hang onto the property that in reality they could never afford. This of course in turn also helps out the banks and the country preventing the wholesale defaulting on mortgages and total collapse of the housing market. In Spain this is not the case as they didn't or were not allowed to prop the market up to the same extent due to the constraints of being in the Euro. I suppose time will tell who's plan is the better. We should also not forget the massive affect the UK's plans have had on pensions and savers rewards, of course as always you never get anything for nothing.
Agreed. So why is it ok when bobd22 says it but meandering when I do
Old May 24th 2012, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Agreed. So why is it ok when bobd22 says it but meandering when I do
Sorry Fiona not meaning to upset anyone just my view on Spain and UK
Old May 24th 2012, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

And 83% of Brits want to buy a house abroad too. Ebb and flow is normal
Old May 24th 2012, 7:42 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A tiny example, probably meaningless on the larger canvas.

My wife and I both do charity work for various expat organisations. We had a phone call this evening from an English expat lady who has lived in Spain for 25 years, the last ten years on her own after her husband died.

She now wants to go home. When my wife asked her Why, she only answered that she wanted to go home. She's not that old, has no financial worries and doesn't have all that much family back in the UK.

Perhaps she's fed up meandering.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
A tiny example, probably meaningless on the larger canvas.

My wife and I both do charity work for various expat organisations. We had a phone call this evening from an English expat lady who has lived in Spain for 25 years, the last ten years on her own after her husband died.

She now wants to go home. When my wife asked her Why, she only answered that she wanted to go home. She's not that old, has no financial worries and doesn't have all that much family back in the UK.

Perhaps she's fed up meandering.

A change is as good as a rest.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Returning to original OP about 34% of expats wanting to sell up, I am still curious to where this figure comes from..

Is it typical Daily Fail bad journalism or taking something out of complete context to suit the papers daily need of drivel??

Does this actually mean that there are 66% of expats who are happy to reside here in Spain??..

As both of us are happy living here and have no compulsion to return to the UK (even if we had to, we could never afford to buy another property where we used to live)..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.