Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

34% of ex pats want to sell up??

Old May 24th 2012, 11:11 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34% of ex pats want to sell up??

and still they come, though

I've taken on a few new students in the past few weeks - younger than the usual early-retired/retired ones I usually get

some have come over in the past few months & have UK or elsewhere out of Spain based businesses - but 2 notable exceptions have come & found work
Old May 24th 2012, 11:13 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I knew a famous literary agent a while ago, whose advice to any writer, whether a reporter for the DM or a budding author, was very simple: Sex sells.

I defy anyone reading the online Mail to completely ignore the picture stories running down the right hand side. Hard as I try, I usually find myself clicking on one of them.
An honest person, I thought everyone on the forum were Guardian readers
Old May 25th 2012, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tonysallis1
Thought of Dorset? I've got a three bed detached house close to Wimborne, secluded gdn. (Poole/Sandbanks 7 miles away, Bournemouth 10), v.close to A31 so access to motorway network (M27 approx 15 miles), New Forest 18 miles,?
Just think, I spent most of my life trying move from this area and when I did, I ended up in glorious Spain, in a small village reminiscent of Corfe Mullen about 50/60 years ago..
Old May 25th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

A poster on another forum said that your area is full of gitanos.
Old May 25th 2012, 9:32 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
and still they come, though

I've taken on a few new students in the past few weeks - younger than the usual early-retired/retired ones I usually get

some have come over in the past few months & have UK or elsewhere out of Spain based businesses - but 2 notable exceptions have come & found work

The continuing allure of Spain

http://www.culturespain.com/2012/05/...lure-of-spain/

However, it is somewhat exasperating to see the ‘feeding frenzy’ that has descended on Spain, particularly as the vast (silent) majority of foreigners living in Spain are content here. Indeed, for anyone with a secure income, such as a pension, Spain still offers a terrific quality of life and one that is as attractive as ever – with property now as cheap as it was some eight or nine years ago.

Certainly, as I have written before, in a way nothing much has changed to make Spain any less alluring than it has been in the past. After all, the climate is as good as ever, the proximity to Northern Europe as convenient as always and the way of life just as seductive. The great culture of Spain is intact and the cost of living extremely reasonable by comparison to any other First World country. Meanwhile the good nature, fortitude and calmness of the Spanish people (as a whole) remains remarkable given the savagery of their problems. Somehow they are as welcoming to foreigners as ever and their nuclear society is as enchanting as it has always been
Old May 25th 2012, 9:54 am
Banned

To say that spaniards are welcoming foreigners makes them look like third world idiots. They regard immigrants in much the same way as the UK...nuff said The only spaniards who welcome guiris are the ones whose business is related to residential tourism.
Old May 25th 2012, 9:58 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
To say that spaniards are welcoming foreigners makes them look like third world idiots. They regard immigrants in much the same way as the UK...nuff said The only spaniards who welcome guiris are the ones whose business is related to residential tourism.

Jackie again speaks for all Spaniards - correction her neighbours in her Marbella getaway where coffee is 2 Euros a time and everyone hates each other..
Old May 25th 2012, 10:02 am
Banned

Well I speak for my spanish friends and relatives...do you have any
Old May 25th 2012, 10:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

Well I speak for my spanish friends and relatives...do you have any
To be honest if I knew you irl I'd probably regard you in an even worse light. Keep it up - some Europeans think we are vindinctive, untrustworthly, selfish arrogant people - if they read your venom they'll feel justified.
Old May 25th 2012, 10:08 am
Banned

Eh
Old May 25th 2012, 10:11 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

A poster on another forum said that your area is full of gitanos.
It has never bothered me much, but Spain is indeed full of Gitanos. I've seen them in all of the places I've lived in, from Estepona to Denia and all the places in between.

What can you say and maintain some sort of political correctness? I've found them to be thieving bastards, horrible people, and Spaniards despise them as much as expats do, and probably more so.

But the UK is not exactly exempt from the problem, is it?
Old May 25th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Just think, I spent most of my life trying move from this area and when I did, I ended up in glorious Spain, in a small village reminiscent of Corfe Mullen about 50/60 years ago..
Hi, nothing wrong with Corfe Mullen now, it's just that I'm looking to downsize as I've been unemployed for 9 months and this is the only way I can free up some equity. Just yesterday I spent the day on the beach with my sis. Sandbanks great place, watching the Kite surfers having a great time
Old May 25th 2012, 8:40 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

However, it is somewhat exasperating to see the ‘feeding frenzy’ that has descended on Spain, particularly as the vast (silent) majority of foreigners living in Spain are content here. Indeed, for anyone with a secure income, such as a pension, Spain still offers a terrific quality of life and one that is as attractive as ever – with property now as cheap as it was some eight or nine years ago.

Certainly, as I have written before, in a way nothing much has changed to make Spain any less alluring than it has been in the past. After all, the climate is as good as ever, the proximity to Northern Europe as convenient as always and the way of life just as seductive. The great culture of Spain is intact and the cost of living extremely reasonable by comparison to any other First World country. Meanwhile the good nature, fortitude and calmness of the Spanish people (as a whole) remains remarkable given the savagery of their problems. Somehow they are as welcoming to foreigners as ever and their nuclear society is as enchanting as it has always been
A very good quote, but this is no longer true. I find cost of living has risen dramatically in spain.
Old May 25th 2012, 8:45 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that................

Old May 25th 2012, 8:57 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Some posters seem to think that the Spainsh are a bit simple, at least that is what is seems like to me.

To say that we are welcoming to foreigners per se is not true.

Just like in the UK, mothers of school age children do not like it when lack of language skill from the newcomers hold their own children back in class.

forgigners are seen to be undercutting locals for jobs, and this causes resentment, unless you are on the receiving end of a good deal.

Tourists puking in the streets on the costas are a bugbear with the locals, unless they are spending their money in YOUR bar.

At least you make a profit from the puke in the streets, whereas the local housewives dont.

All the things that the folks in the UK complain about when the subject of foreigners is discussed, holds true in Spain.

Why would anyone think that it is not like that, we are not a breed apart, we are the same just like Germans Italians and Bruts etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.