Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Old Nov 18th 2010, 3:00 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
Thanks Fish 'n ' Chips... All countries are messed up in some way the economy and jobs here are no better, in the 90's and early 2000's i was doing alright here but as i get older i want home back the best way I can describe it is like "slipping on a pair of old cozy slippers"... i tried it here for 20 years and i now know i am happier jumping on the no# 50 bus into birmigham city center with a bunch of mates thats have still stayed in touch and met up with me on all my visits over the years and pub hopping till its time for a curry (: Just gotta find some kid of job here in the middle of South Carolina to get me on the boat in August ... thanks for the kind words mate

Aww the thought of jumping on a bus and going into Brum.......

It would be the number 45 for me. 50 is that the Castle Bromwich bus?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fish 'n ' Chips... All countries are messed up in some way the economy and jobs here are no better, in the 90's and early 2000's i was doing alright here but as i get older i want home back the best way I can describe it is like "slipping on a pair of old cozy slippers"... i tried it here for 20 years and i now know i am happier jumping on the no# 50 bus into birmigham city center with a bunch of mates thats have still stayed in touch and met up with me on all my visits over the years and pub hopping till its time for a curry (: Just gotta find some kid of job here in the middle of South Carolina to get me on the boat in August ... thanks for the kind words mate
Oh wow, you have just said what I said to my gf last week, "When I go home it's just like slipping on my comfy worn in Asda slippers"....and well done you for going home when you are still a youngster.

I REALLY needed to read this thread today, so thank you GarryP for starting it. I have to buy my one way ticket tonight and I have the jitters........ooooohhhh what am I doing??

I have to sell everything I have except personal stuff to get the money together to make a new start as I don't want to land there like a charity case, I will stay with my sister, but still no job, no possessions, no car and very little money, I keep thinking I must be crazy, but I only came back in April this year because I felt so guilty about "abandoning" my kids and grand-kids, and look I hardly see them, not because they don't care about me, but they have their own lives.....as it should be.........I should have only come back in April to sell up and move back, but I didn't sooo much money spent and wasted over the years but anyhoo it's done now....

So will somebody please hold my hand while I buy my ticket tonight..........

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 20th 2010 at 1:57 am.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 3:04 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh wow, you have just said what I said to my gf last week, "When I go home it's just like slipping on my comfy worn in Asda slippers"....and well done you for going home when you are still a youngster.

I REALLY needed to read this thread today, so thank you GarryP for starting it. I have to buy my one way ticket tonight and I have the jitters........ooooohhhh what am I doing??

I have to sell everything I have except personal stuff to get the money together to make a new start as I don't want to land there like a charity case, I will stay with my sister, but still no job, no possessions, no car and very little money, I keep thinking I must be crazy, but I only came back in April this year because I felt so guilty about "abandoning" my kids and grand-kids, and look I hardly see them, not because they don't care about me, but they have their own lives.....as it should be.........I should have only come back in April to sell up and move back, but I didn't sooo much money spent and wasted over the years but anyhoo it's done now....

I'll hold your hand. Did you hit the buy button yet?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 8:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'll hold your hand. Did you hit the buy button yet?
Not yet, but I am getting prepared..........why is this so scary? So exciting? Soooo many emotions going on right now...........breathe...........look around you and think, can I live here for the rest of my life? Even for the next 10 years?

NO!!

Then do it woman!!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry Hayley, it will happen for you, just get a job and save hard, cut down on all the BS things and you will have the money in no time, this time next year you will be shopping in Brum for all your christmas stuff...

20 years is long enough, and Im happy you've decided to go home while you ae still young, thats Great!

The Economy here has been bad for ten years, I dont see it getting much better anytime soon so I think you are right, there are jobs in the UK I hear its tough but still I read on this forum of people getting jobs so they really are out there, and at least you will have healthcare...

I can relate to jumping in the bus with mates, I used to do that when I was a teenager in Sheffield, its hard for people in this country to understand stuff like that, you cant beat true friendship and the humour of the UK.

I have a load of in laws back in the UK, I love um all, we always go back for weddings, there are so many of us we have to rent a full size bus, we've all have plenty to drink, so even at may age I love a bus ride, a joke and a good old sing song with freinds and in laws...

Take Care, I wish you well...
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J

When we first got back to England we saw warts and all, but since then have found the nicer side of life here and are quite happy.

Would I move back to USA ? possibly for a limited time, I bear no grudge or resentment, i enjoyed the experience, but no, I do not dream or have ambition to move back there in the way I always felt I wanted, needed, to move back to UK.

Isn't that so odd, so many of us just having this 'feeling' that UK is home and that's where we need to be, even Hayley and Fish and others that left at fairly early ages when one would have thought they would have grown into it, or acclimated, as presumably their parents expected. This forum is such a fascinating insight into human nature, thanks to all those who open the door to peek inside your hearts and minds. I feel privileged to share with you.

Best Wishes to all on your journey's.

Hello JJ, I always love your posts, I too have no resentment, this country and its people have always been good to me, I just wish they would treat each other a little nicer, there is so much hate, plus politics gets on my nerves, politics has put a division in this country that may never be repaired.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jmh
Yes I find that interesting too. I am doing it in reverse. I am a kiwi, left and moved to the UK at 23, now at 48 'going home'. I have had a good life in the UK, but always had in the back of my mind the idea of going home. I am a bit nervous in case I get there and decide I hate it! LOL. I am renting out my house so if I change my mind I can come back. In my mind I will be giving it a year's trial to see how I feel. Feel's good at this early stage to be going home. I hope it works out but I can come back if it doesn't. Don't want to become a ping ponger though.
Good Luck to you pal, Home is where the heart is and I dont blame you one bit, infact New Zealand has always had some appeal to me, at least you are doing it now, I think its a good idea, if its doesnt pan out all is not lost... I wish you well...Take Care...
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Aww the thought of jumping on a bus and going into Brum.......

It would be the number 45 for me. 50 is that the Castle Bromwich bus?
dont quite remeber gets me from Kings Norton / Kings Heath to town though..(-: I'll have a drink for ya!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Not yet, but I am getting prepared..........why is this so scary? So exciting? Soooo many emotions going on right now...........breathe...........look around you and think, can I live here for the rest of my life? Even for the next 10 years?

NO!!

Then do it woman!!
it is scary but at least you've got the balls to make the jump, we all did it the 1st time by leaving, at least you can say you gave it a shot... if i had the money and my dog was ready i would be gone tomorrow.. should be outta here no later than August next year.. good luck, everyone!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Consider your hand held, by all of us
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Dont worry Hayley, it will happen for you, just get a job and save hard, cut down on all the BS things and you will have the money in no time, this time next year you will be shopping in Brum for all your christmas stuff...

20 years is long enough, and Im happy you've decided to go home while you ae still young, thats Great!

The Economy here has been bad for ten years, I dont see it getting much better anytime soon so I think you are right, there are jobs in the UK I hear its tough but still I read on this forum of people getting jobs so they really are out there, and at least you will have healthcare...

I can relate to jumping in the bus with mates, I used to do that when I was a teenager in Sheffield, its hard for people in this country to understand stuff like that, you cant beat true friendship and the humour of the UK.

I have a load of in laws back in the UK, I love um all, we always go back for weddings, there are so many of us we have to rent a full size bus, we've all have plenty to drink, so even at may age I love a bus ride, a joke and a good old sing song with freinds and in laws...

Take Care, I wish you well...

thanks so much for all your encouragment....
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of

I will too, good luck, be brave, I have a feeling I will be doing the same thing very soon. I too will live with my sister or a friend, and that is scary after having a home of your own and all the trimmings, but I am literally making myself ill trying to live here when it's not where I want to be, I am sick that I have let it go on for almost 16 years, but as advised by other posters, I am trying to be kind to myself. Good Luck
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by EnglishRose15
I will too, good luck, be brave, I have a feeling I will be doing the same thing very soon. I too will live with my sister or a friend, and that is scary after having a home of your own and all the trimmings, but I am literally making myself ill trying to live here when it's not where I want to be, I am sick that I have let it go on for almost 16 years, but as advised by other posters, I am trying to be kind to myself. Good Luck
Good luck English Rose, you can LITERALLY make yourself ill living where you don't want to be.

I maybe get indigestion/heartburn once every 2 or 3 years and just lately I have had to buy indigestion tablets as this "thing" is gnawing away at my insides....I have only been back since April, couldn't get a job for 3 months, got my own rented flat again, moved in in July, and as lovely as it is and as much as I like my job it is not filling the empty space inside me......

Having a few probs buying my ticket as the fare keeps changing but as scared as I am I know I am doing the right thing for me.......possessions and money come and go while the years slip away.....why don't you join me EnglishRose, take a good look from where you are sitting right now, look at all your "stuff" does any of it really matter? It's just wood, glass, material or maybe bricks if you have to sell a place.......can you honestly say you can live in this place you call home for the rest of your life? I got out photo's and looked at the pics from when I was in England and compared them to how I FEEL now inside......and when I am there I FEEL so different inside, I am sure you know what I am talking about as does everybody on this thread.

You know your REAL home is not here, it is there........

Follow your feelings...
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

I am holding your hand right now and you will be fine when you get back home and settled. I agree with you about family, I suppose we are from the old school and feel we need to be close to our families for support, but I am finding they don't seem to need and sometimes want it. So good luck once you have your ticket the deed will be done and you can go forward Denise
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I sometimes worry that we are making the wrong decision.

I look at my eldest son's room ,all his belongings and his gadgets he has worked hard saving up for ...all in his cozy 12 year olds nest lol !

I know at 39 that this is not the place for him ,but he has sticky feet

My younger son is 7 and excited to leave this small town , our little girl is just turning 2 so no problem there .

The biggest reason we are leaving though (as so many have said before me ) is family and the feeling that we do not want to grow old here .

Life for the kids is lovely in some respects ...but not for us
I am hoping that by re-locating to Dorset (this time )we will find a happy place for ALL of us .

Good luck to all of us here

Hello Gabby...

Don't worry about your eldest sons electronic stuff, he can take most if not all of it back to the UK, you can replace some things, the UK is not behind, if anything they are early adopters and ahead of the USA, I can see where you are coming from, but long term you will be doing him and yourself a big favor, kids of 12 don't understand this, he may have sticky feet, but he does not have your knowledge or wisdom.

In ten or twenty years time ask him if he would like 2 or 4 weeks paid vacation, and what about healthcare? as many others on this forum would tell you Now is the time to do it, wait a few years and chances are you will never do it as you will be splitting up your family forever, then you will find yourself Stuck...

Its great that you already know you don't want to grow old here, I could tell you my story, it would blow your mind, getting old anywhere isnt fun but in a nice American care facility it can be awful.

I wish you well...

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Nov 21st 2010 at 12:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.