Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Originally Posted by dunroving
Been there (a few times!) and one thing I learned is you just can't waste energy beating yourself up about the money thing - you can't get it back so there's no point. The timing of my moves has meant not only the cost of moving, but huge losses on house sales/purchases, huge losses on exchange rate, blahdeblahdeblah, but you just have to move on and don't let it eat away at you. I can't do anything about the fact my peers have all paid off their mortgages and I have 22 years left of a 25 year mortgage (I'm 53) - though it does piss me off when I get the sneering "You must be loaded on a university lecturer's salary". Grrrrr ....

- See? See you how easy it is to get into the negative thinking rut? Don't do it!!
Dunroving hit the nail on the head for me, Im the same age and wished my house was paid for too, Man I hate all the good luck stories people tell me, everybody seems to do well, what about us?
I suppose we realise we have to put up with less, can't worry about whats done.
Enjoy Your Weekend.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Well I too pondered it forever.... I am 32 and moved to South Florida when I was 12 So I grew up in the U.S for the most part. with trips to England however over the past few years I have been back every year and each time it was really hard for me to leave. i went back again this past August and all the day to day anxiety I suffer here in the states was gone. i felt "at peace, and at home" I finally felt like i belonged somewhere after feeling lost for years. i have been on anti-anxiety medication since i was 14 xanex, valium, anti-depressants but when i was in the UK i was able to not have piece of medication until the day before I had to fly back to florida where my life was just in a shambles... so i packed up all I had left of 1 broken engagment, and once a marriage and moved to my mom in South Carolina (which is hell on earth) 2 weeks ago because the 2 of us are selling it all and finally going home to the rest of our large family... i finally got that feeling of home and it was back in the UK ... so thats the leap i am making, just getting the dog prepped now... It is very scary and I will miss the beach and friends, but i have so many friends that are constantly in touch with me in the UK and In Florida life is grand if u can afford to sit on the beach all day, but when u are wearing a suit and driving in a car with crappy Air -con.. in 95 degrees and missing your family and the people in general.. its all a bit different... just my thoughts... good luck and follow your gut, there is a reason to feel like you need to go home so go with it..
Wish all of you the best , time to get excited and go home!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
Well I too pondered it forever.... I am 32 and moved to South Florida when I was 12 So I grew up in the U.S for the most part. with trips to England however over the past few years I have been back every year and each time it was really hard for me to leave. i went back again this past August and all the day to day anxiety I suffer here in the states was gone. i felt "at peace, and at home" I finally felt like i belonged somewhere after feeling lost for years. i have been on anti-anxiety medication since i was 14 xanex, valium, anti-depressants but when i was in the UK i was able to not have piece of medication until the day before I had to fly back to florida where my life was just in a shambles... so i packed up all I had left of 1 broken engagment, and once a marriage and moved to my mom in South Carolina (which is hell on earth) 2 weeks ago because the 2 of us are selling it all and finally going home to the rest of our large family... i finally got that feeling of home and it was back in the UK ... so thats the leap i am making, just getting the dog prepped now... It is very scary and I will miss the beach and friends, but i have so many friends that are constantly in touch with me in the UK and In Florida life is grand if u can afford to sit on the beach all day, but when u are wearing a suit and driving in a car with crappy Air -con.. in 95 degrees and missing your family and the people in general.. its all a bit different... just my thoughts... good luck and follow your gut, there is a reason to feel like you need to go home so go with it..
WOW ,good luck

So glad you have found your place ...

Gabriella
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The longer you stay the bigger the financial hit, you'll buy more furniture, cars, the kids will get settled into the lifestyle. We have tons of stuff to sort through and get rid of. All those bits and pieces you end up with.
That's where we are. I don't think we can go back now.

For that reason, I'd say best to go sooner rather than later.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
WOW ,good luck

So glad you have found your place ...

Gabriella
Awww thanks luv...
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's where we are. I don't think we can go back now.

For that reason, I'd say best to go sooner rather than later.
It's only stuff, it just takes a lot more planning and time to rid yourself of it all. I know we'll end up with about a dozen boxes and three tool chests and that will be paring it to the bare bones.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla

Good for you, I came here in my late teens, its not a place I wanted to be, but the whole family came, what was I supposed to do.
I can relate to that feeling of peace, I feel the same way when I go back, it just feels safer and something feels so right, some Brits will say its got worse of over there but thats nothing new, Ive hard that for years and still I feel safer, other than war zones nothing compares to the amount of guns and murders in this country.

A life of anti-depressant drugs and beaches has no appeal when compared to real peace and feeling good.

Life can only get better. I wish you well.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by garyp
Did you get cold feet when you believed you wanted to return to the UK and it came down to booking the flights in case you are making the wrong decision? Keep in looking at flights but not managed to go through with it. I am not 100% happy here in OZ and my kids would like to go back. its just the wife who wants to stay as we have only been here 6 months. I dont believe in the you have to give it 2 years before you settle as I realised pretty early it was the wrong decision to come. but I realise it will all be over once I book those flights. Think i need counciling again
Well, my experience was that I knew in 2 weeks I wanted to come home. Hubby and I agreed to give it 6 months - which I found extremely testing!

Then at 6 months we both decided to return to the UK. We were both scared - we were worried we might get back home and regret our choice we also worried our family and friends would think we were crazy.

BUT the second we got of the plane at heathrow we knew our decision was right and now 2 years later we are both still really happy with our UK life!

We love the seasons, the green countryside, the history, the people, the TV need I go on... and are off to cornwall next week for a winter break by the beach!

Follow your heart!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clairemoir
Well, my experience was that I knew in 2 weeks I wanted to come home. Hubby and I agreed to give it 6 months - which I found extremely testing!

Then at 6 months we both decided to return to the UK. We were both scared - we were worried we might get back home and regret our choice we also worried our family and friends would think we were crazy.

BUT the second we got of the plane at heathrow we knew our decision was right and now 2 years later we are both still really happy with our UK life!

We love the seasons, the green countryside, the history, the people, the TV need I go on... and are off to cornwall next week for a winter break by the beach!

Follow your heart!
I love happy endings Good for you, you are lucky that you were on the same page, Ive read so many stories where only one wants to go back and they stay here for many years unhappy.

The people are most important, you have something in common that cant be duplicated, everything else is a bonus.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Good for you, I came here in my late teens, its not a place I wanted to be, but the whole family came, what was I supposed to do.
I can relate to that feeling of peace, I feel the same way when I go back, it just feels safer and something feels so right, some Brits will say its got worse of over there but thats nothing new, Ive hard that for years and still I feel safer, other than war zones nothing compares to the amount of guns and murders in this country.

A life of anti-depressant drugs and beaches has no appeal when compared to real peace and feeling good.

Life can only get better. I wish you well.

Thanks Fish 'n ' Chips... All countries are messed up in some way the economy and jobs here are no better, in the 90's and early 2000's i was doing alright here but as i get older i want home back the best way I can describe it is like "slipping on a pair of old cozy slippers"... i tried it here for 20 years and i now know i am happier jumping on the no# 50 bus into birmigham city center with a bunch of mates thats have still stayed in touch and met up with me on all my visits over the years and pub hopping till its time for a curry (: Just gotta find some kid of job here in the middle of South Carolina to get me on the boat in August ... thanks for the kind words mate
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:06 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Good question by OP,

No cold feet for me, slightly chilly maybe.
I had been looking forward to this move back for 18 yrs, back home
(although there was one particularly trip back and a wet weekend in London that showed me the benefits of a mild winter in North Carolina).

I had been happy to live in USA with DH, we had a nice life there and used the opportunity to visit about 40 states.
We were just average working folks, we didn't become financially rich (but that wasn't the plan) but our lives were enriched by the experience. When things were good they were good, but the summer heat became daunting, prospect of high cost of retirement (particularly healthcare) was intimidating but mainly the feeling that home and belonging was here in UK was what brought us back, me absolutely ready, DH more reserved because of the negative aspects of UK (he had got used to the negatives of USA)

When we first got back to England we saw warts and all, but since then have found the nicer side of life here and are quite happy.

Would I move back to USA ? possibly for a limited time, I bear no grudge or resentment, i enjoyed the experience, but no, I do not dream or have ambition to move back there in the way I always felt I wanted, needed, to move back to UK.

Isn't that so odd, so many of us just having this 'feeling' that UK is home and that's where we need to be, even Hayley and Fish and others that left at fairly early ages when one would have thought they would have grown into it, or acclimated, as presumably their parents expected. This forum is such a fascinating insight into human nature, thanks to all those who open the door to peek inside your hearts and minds. I feel privileged to share with you.

Best Wishes to all on your journey's.

Last edited by J.J; Nov 18th 2010 at 10:25 am.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

That's WonderfulJ.J , I am glad things are going well i cant wait to back there and its always nice to read the positives.. thanks for sharing and keep enjoying home xoxo
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:12 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J

Isn't that so odd, so many of us just having this 'feeling' that UK is home and that's where we need to be, even Hayley and Fish and others that left at fairly early ages when one would have thought they would have grown into it, or acclimated, as presumably their parents expected. This forum is such a fascinating insight into human nature, thanks to all those who open the door to peek inside your hearts and minds. I feel privileged to share with you.

Best Wishes to all on your journey's.
Yes I find that interesting too. I am doing it in reverse. I am a kiwi, left and moved to the UK at 23, now at 48 'going home'. I have had a good life in the UK, but always had in the back of my mind the idea of going home. I am a bit nervous in case I get there and decide I hate it! LOL. I am renting out my house so if I change my mind I can come back. In my mind I will be giving it a year's trial to see how I feel. Feel's good at this early stage to be going home. I hope it works out but I can come back if it doesn't. Don't want to become a ping ponger though.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I sometimes worry that we are making the wrong decision.

I look at my eldest son's room ,all his belongings and his gadgets he has worked hard saving up for ...all in his cozy 12 year olds nest lol !

I know at 39 that this is not the place for him ,but he has sticky feet

My younger son is 7 and excited to leave this small town , our little girl is just turning 2 so no problem there .

The biggest reason we are leaving though (as so many have said before me ) is family and the feeling that we do not want to grow old here .

Life for the kids is lovely in some respects ...but not for us
I am hoping that by re-locating to Dorset (this time )we will find a happy place for ALL of us .

Good luck to all of us here
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Dunroving hit the nail on the head for me, Im the same age and wished my house was paid for too, Man I hate all the good luck stories people tell me, everybody seems to do well, what about us?
I suppose we realise we have to put up with less, can't worry about whats done.
Enjoy Your Weekend.
I am pleased to see that the banks/building societies are considering lending to us òlder folk`for a 25 year period, is this the norm now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.