Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old May 27th 2013, 7:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Melbourne now..
Old May 27th 2013, 8:14 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello my BE family yes, here I am, siting in Melbourne Airport spending my last few Aussie $$$$ on wine and chips lol!

4 hours til my next flight so am going to have a browse around duty free and pick up some gifts for the family - no stuffed koalas though ha ha!

So far, so good - for the rest. I bought the whole journey as one ticket so flew here with Virgin and they were simply amazing! First off I got to check in my two suitcases which will go all the way to London which was great as didn't want to have to go through the whole shebang again here. I was over my 30 kgs limit by 7 kgs but I was prepared for that so had my trusty bank card handy. Had a bit of a chuckle with the girl on the desk and she was so nice. Bags went through, she checked my passports, handed me my boarding cards and wished me a safe flight. I must of looked a bit confused, she looked at the bags, gave me a wee smile and whispered "Hey, don't worry about it ok?" you could have knocked me down with a feather - how amazingly nice was that?! Gay Boss was there and he said he thought it was good karma for all the people with sick kids I have let off ambulance charges in the past - nice to think that eh?!

Had coffee and cake with Gay Boss and BB and we had a great chat before I left, was so relaxed and happy, sad to leave my buddies but excited to be going home - its just the weirdest feeling!

On the flight I got a feed as they said it was all included and got a complementary iPad to watch movies on, so great, I felt really special! I have always had great flights with Virgin, their staff are fab so I'll be writing some nice e-mails about them to tell them that once I am back!

All has gone ok here at the airport, immigration were fine, I left on my Aussie passport and they were teasing me saying I'd be back in a week desperate for sunshine lol! All very good humoured, they saw I was a paramedic on my green card I'd had to fill out and said oh do you treat people on the flight if they get sick then??!! I pulled out my medical kit - BP cuff, steth etc - and said of course I do, never off duty when my public needs me lol! They said oh you must be a good person then, I said no, I'm just always hoping for an upgrade cos I'm poor ha ha ha!!!!

Well here's hoping Etihad are just as good, they were great last time so I'll let you all know when I get back to Blighty! TTFN!

Last edited by MissBetty; May 27th 2013 at 8:18 am.
Old May 27th 2013, 8:33 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hello my BE family yes, here I am, siting in Melbourne Airport spending my last few Aussie $$$$ on wine and chips lol!

4 hours til my next flight so am going to have a browse around duty free and pick up some gifts for the family - no stuffed koalas though ha ha!

So far, so good - for the rest. I bought the whole journey as one ticket so flew here with Virgin and they were simply amazing! First off I got to check in my two suitcases which will go all the way to London which was great as didn't want to have to go through the whole shebang again here. I was over my 30 kgs limit by 7 kgs but I was prepared for that so had my trusty bank card handy. Had a bit of a chuckle with the girl on the desk and she was so nice. Bags went through, she checked my passports, handed me my boarding cards and wished me a safe flight. I must of looked a bit confused, she looked at the bags, gave me a wee smile and whispered "Hey, don't worry about it ok?" you could have knocked me down with a feather - how amazingly nice was that?! Gay Boss was there and he said he thought it was good karma for all the people with sick kids I have let off ambulance charges in the past - nice to think that eh?!

Had coffee and cake with Gay Boss and BB and we had a great chat before I left, was so relaxed and happy, sad to leave my buddies but excited to be going home - its just the weirdest feeling!

On the flight I got a feed as they said it was all included and got a complementary iPad to watch movies on, so great, I felt really special! I have always had great flights with Virgin, their staff are fab so I'll be writing some nice e-mails about them to tell them that once I am back!

All has gone ok here at the airport, immigration were fine, I left on my Aussie passport and they were teasing me saying I'd be back in a week desperate for sunshine lol! All very good humoured, they saw I was a paramedic on my green card I'd had to fill out and said oh do you treat people on the flight if they get sick then??!! I pulled out my medical kit - BP cuff, steth etc - and said of course I do, never off duty when my public needs me lol! They said oh you must be a good person then, I said no, I'm just always hoping for an upgrade cos I'm poor ha ha ha!!!!

Well here's hoping Etihad are just as good, they were great last time so I'll let you all know when I get back to Blighty! TTFN!
GB is right. It is payback for all the good deeds you have done for others. Glad that your journey is going well. I'd join you in a glass of wine and some chips, but it is a bit early for chips at this end.
Old May 27th 2013, 8:36 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
GB is right. It is payback for all the good deeds you have done for others. Glad that your journey is going well. I'd join you in a glass of wine and some chips, but it is a bit early for chips at this end.
Way too early for chips ha ha but have a glass of wine with me - somewhere in the world its cocktail hour
Old May 27th 2013, 8:45 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Way too early for chips ha ha but have a glass of wine with me - somewhere in the world its cocktail hour

I would, but yesterday we ended up in the pub, with friends for "a" drink which turned into multiple drinks and a meal. So, I am in detox until noon. However, as it is a Bank Holiday, I think I will push the boat out and make another pot of tea.
Old May 27th 2013, 1:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Currently 600 miles into the next stage, 6,500 to go to Abu Dahbi
Old May 27th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so finally the time is here, I'm sitting in a hotel room watching the lights twinkling on the harbour on my last night in the land of Oz. I shall finish as I started - rambling!

Lots of questions going round in my head tonight, finally the big day is here and I'm very excited but 5 years ago I never dreamed I would want to return to the UK. I actually don't think most people - myself included - really think about what such a massive upheaval moving overseas will be.

I came here so excited, returning to the country that I love, where I grew up to start a new life, a new job full of hope. I've met many amazing people here, it took time but now I have a close knit circle of friends that I treasure and wouldn't be without however I've also been stunned by how awful people can be.

I can honestly say that in my 46 years on this earth, traveling widely and living in different countries I have never been treated so shabbily as I have here in the workplace. The bullying in the Australian workplace is just plain horrific, I love what I do but I have never been so miserable at work in my life. I have, of course, fought back, told people to p*** off and kept myself to myself but really it has taken its toll.

Am I still the same person I ask myself? I don't know. I'm a lot tougher now, more resiliant but also far more reserved. Whereas before I was always so friendly to people now I take a step back and take my time 'sussing' people out whereas before I would just be more trusting, the trust now has gone. I am suspicious of strangers and now hesitate before offering a helping hand, I'm so tired of being ****** over by people!

I do actually appreciate my own country more now, more than I ever thought possible. The general friendliness of British people and cheerfulness that I always took for granted before is a welcome change to here, having family just round the corner and friends who have been there for years also. Feeling like you belong is so damn underrated also having so much more freedom at work and also the good old NHS/Tescos/cheap dentist/cheap cars/cheap travel - the list is endless really!

Do I regret coming here? Well no, you know what they say if you don't go you won't know. I don't want to live a life full of what ifs, it was an adventure and not all bad, a lot of positives came out of it. I made some brilliant friends, had some incredible experiences, I'm stronger and I am wiser - a lot wiser actually!

The worst thing about being here? 100% the depression and weight gain - totally horrible, totally sucked. I never knew what it was like to cry ALL DAY LONG, not to want to get out of bed, to sit around in pj's for days at a time feeling listless/exhausted, to cry in the shower before starting every day then having to put on a brave face all day when I felt like I was just dying inside. Counseling helped a great deal, drinking didn't, last Xmas was my lowest point sitting alone at work eating a microwave dinner watching bad telly and just feeling so empty and lost. Horrible, just horrible and made me think how lucky I was that I had a choice, I could go home - some people don't and if I ever come across someone in that same boat in the UK I shall drag them round my house for Xmas dinner, Baileys and a M&S pudding!!!!

I have enough money saved for a wee car and to live on for a few months but I will have some paying out to do. I'm not that worried about money but I still haven't been paid my final wage or paid out my leave yet. I'm hoping the service won't mess me around, it would be nice to have a final figure so I can make some plans and make a budget, but won't know til next week so no dramas there - sigh!

Well thanks everyone for your support and for all the laughs along the way, you've made my journey a whole lot easier and for that I will be eternally grateful. Anyone reading this who is not quite there yet hang on in there, its always darkest before the dawn, the last few weeks will drag but you will get there in the end!!! Just make a plan, have a goal and bear in mind it will be stressful and you will make many changes but what will be will be.

Well my bed is calling me so I'll say goodnight to you all, the long journey begins tomorrow and I'm pooped just thinking about it lol lol!!!! See you all back in Blighty, its good night from me - over and out xx
I wish you a safe and uneventful journey home. This last synopsis of your life in OZ made me cry. The depression, the hatefulness of your coworkers (for me its my in ex inlaws) who since our divorce in January have given me the cold shoulder and most particularly devastating not to be permitted to visit the ex step grandchildren whom I adore. I am 69 now and all of it becomes almost insurmountable. My ex husband demands I lend him money for the jobs that need to be done in order to put the house up for sale (some demanded by HOA) like new driveway not quite correct colour??? It just goes on and on......now my daughter is married last week I feel so ready to go....
I look forward to hearing of your new life starting out. You are brave and a strong woman. Take care.
Old May 27th 2013, 6:56 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Miss Betty..you are simply amazing! I admire your strength and your determination and if I can say only one thing to you, it's that I hope the rest of your life is simply WONDERFUL, and you get treated with the courtesy and friendship you deserve. So far if I have my calculations correct, you have about another 7 hours give or take before you land and get ready for your next journey to the UK... Wish I could be at Heathrow to give you the biggest hug upon arrival. So here's a cyber hug...roflmao ((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))). Safe travels my friend... and I can't wait for the continuing story of Miss Betty, except this time with lots of wonderful photo's of your happy smiling face and stories of how you have the BEST job in the UK and everyone is awesome.. lol
Old May 27th 2013, 7:06 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I wish you a safe and uneventful journey home. This last synopsis of your life in OZ made me cry. The depression, the hatefulness of your coworkers (for me its my in ex inlaws) who since our divorce in January have given me the cold shoulder and most particularly devastating not to be permitted to visit the ex step grandchildren whom I adore. I am 69 now and all of it becomes almost insurmountable. My ex husband demands I lend him money for the jobs that need to be done in order to put the house up for sale (some demanded by HOA) like new driveway not quite correct colour??? It just goes on and on......now my daughter is married last week I feel so ready to go....
I look forward to hearing of your new life starting out. You are brave and a strong woman. Take care.
How awful. I am sending you a big hug!
Old May 27th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe now is exactly the time to leave - and take your money with you! New York is just a quick flight away from the UK so you can see your daughter often. Does your son also live in NY? I'm sure they can both come and visit you too. You need to leave this ex of yours though and start your life anew.
Old May 28th 2013, 3:27 am
Practical Paramedic

Oh God that sounds just awful, you need to make a plan and get out of there tout suite my dear. I must admit I am over my ex, well and truly, but the fact that I'll now be living on the other side of the world from him makes my heart sing! It took me nearly two years to get to this point, some people are ready sooner, some later but careful planning and lots of saving does makes things so much easier trust me. Good luck x
Old May 28th 2013, 3:31 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Miss Betty..you are simply amazing! I admire your strength and your determination and if I can say only one thing to you, it's that I hope the rest of your life is simply WONDERFUL, and you get treated with the courtesy and friendship you deserve. So far if I have my calculations correct, you have about another 7 hours give or take before you land and get ready for your next journey to the UK... Wish I could be at Heathrow to give you the biggest hug upon arrival. So here's a cyber hug...roflmao ((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))). Safe travels my friend... and I can't wait for the continuing story of Miss Betty, except this time with lots of wonderful photo's of your happy smiling face and stories of how you have the BEST job in the UK and everyone is awesome.. lol
Ditto my dear - have loved reading all your posts from start to finish! At Abu Dhabi now, pretty tired but the hard part is behind me now. Just had a top to toe with baby wipes, teeth clean and a quick change and I feel fine - never underestimate the power of clean knickers ha ha ha!!!!!! Just another 90 mins here then I'm on my final flight, hoping for a bit of sleep for as soon as I get home I am going to.............TESCOS!!!!!
Old May 28th 2013, 3:58 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto my dear - have loved reading all your posts from start to finish! At Abu Dhabi now, pretty tired but the hard part is behind me now. Just had a top to toe with baby wipes, teeth clean and a quick change and I feel fine - never underestimate the power of clean knickers ha ha ha!!!!!! Just another 90 mins here then I'm on my final flight, hoping for a bit of sleep for as soon as I get home I am going to.............TESCOS!!!!!

What are you going to put in your trolley?
Old May 28th 2013, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Had a wander thru a Tesco (superstore) yesterday 'n t'were bloody luvly,
don't worry, I left lotsa stuff for you.

Safe journey lass.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:27 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

never underestimate the power of clean knickers ha ha ha!!!!!! my husband has a clean underpants theory too !
as soon as I get home I am going to.............TESCOS!!!!! You make me die laughing
I can almost feel your journey. I feel your trepidation and fear but at the same time envy your excitement. Good luck girl, you've got some balls, you really have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.