Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:57 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Let me know when and I'll come down too
Definitely! Fish and chips all round - my shout!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Hearing the seagulls put a bit of a lump in my throat. I can't believe I've spent so many years living so far from the sea!
Seagulls have a beautifully shrill sound in Britain, I hear them every day . . . at the moment in fact. Totally different to the harshness of Australian cockatoos even though they are an attractive bird. I'm sure MissBetty will know what I mean, they're enough to give you a heart attack!!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
I found this on YouTube this morning:-

http://youtu.be/euR9P7c9dA4

This is where I live in the UK, just round the corner from the old church in the video! Just hearing the sound of the seagulls makes me so homesick! This man has done a great job but that pub isn't as old as he thinks it is - very pretty though, there are about 15 parts to this series so just putting the kettle on................ lol!
The video is amazingly opportune. I looked at flats in Hasting on the internet yesterday thinking the town might be more convenient than Torquay to visit family and friends. I've never been to Hastings so it might be worth a visit.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:11 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Seagulls have a beautifully shrill sound in Britain, I hear them every day . . . at the moment in fact. Totally different to the harshness of Australian cockatoos even though they are an attractive bird. I'm sure MissBetty will know what I mean, they're enough to give you a heart attack!!
The video is amazingly opportune. I looked at flats in Hasting on the internet yesterday thinking the town might be more convenient than Torquay to visit family and friends. I've never been to Hastings so it might be worth a visit.
Yes I agree with you on that one - I nearly jump out of my skin when the cockys start screeching!

I do like Hastings but as I have stressed to people the main town is quite run down but the Old Town is lovely, there is a guy called PistolPete who also knows the area very well and he made some valid points earlier in this thread.

The transport links are not brilliant once you get out of town but if you are retired, self employed or a shift worker like me it really doesn't matter. Its about 75 mins on the train to London but we are not far from Ashford either which gives you a gateway to Europe as you can catch the Eurostar from there.

There is a lady on here called Maltoo who started a thread re Hastings that I contributed to that might be worth a read? I love Hastings though, its has its problems but its my home and I will defend it to the last - warts and all!

Last edited by MissBetty; Apr 27th 2013 at 7:17 am.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Well come for a visit when you are next over and we will take a walk along the seafront and eat fish and chips from the Blue Dolphin chippy!
You're on matey
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

You're right! I spent about 6 months in Southern CA thinking I'd like being by the sea. Just didn't do it for me.
Exactly! Florida neither
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:33 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Definitely! Fish and chips all round - my shout!
Can I come too please?? Although you should all come to Diggle and go to the best chippy in Lancashire..
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree with you on that one - I nearly jump out of my skin when the cockys start screeching!

I do like Hastings but as I have stressed to people the main town is quite run down but the Old Town is lovely, there is a guy called PistolPete who also knows the area very well and he made some valid points earlier in this thread.

The transport links are not brilliant once you get out of town but if you are retired, self employed or a shift worker like me it really doesn't matter. Its about 75 mins on the train to London but we are not far from Ashford either which gives you a gateway to Europe as you can catch the Eurostar from there.

There is a lady on here called Maltoo who started a thread re Hastings that I contributed to that might be worth a read? I love Hastings though, its has its problems but its my home and I will defend it to the last - warts and all!
Hi Betty, I'm here!

I don't know what Maltoo decided about the Hastings area but I believe she was in the UK over the Christmas period and must have done some checking around then though I believe she was based in Essex. Wasn't she looking to get into the antiques business?

I recall that I had recommended the area surrounding Hastings to her and in particular Rye plus Battle and Etchingham but the youtube videos reinforce the idea of being in the old conservation area quarter of the town as well. Lovely! You did well to get in at the price you did because there isn't that much supply in that area at all these days at the right price.

I managed to dig up a previous aries post of her priorities before she had finally decided to plump for Torquay.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=343

It's hard to say where she would be best placed to visit family but Gatwick has no flights to Frankfurt (only Dusseldorf on Easyjet) and Torquay actually still has direct train service to the Midlands (CrossCountry) as opposed to getting to London, through London and then onwards, from Hastings whether to the Midlands, or Essex or to an airport (Heathrow or Stansted) that serves Frankfurt.

Ex Torquay - Bristol doesn't have service to Frankfurt either (only Berlin) and Exeter only serves Dusseldorf (Flybe).
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:58 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Can I come too please?? Although you should all come to Diggle and go to the best chippy in Lancashire..
In my mind I'd already invited myself to Diggle
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:02 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know! I love the British seaside - stony beaches and all! I was laughing yesterday when a lovely Aussie friend of mine - who is coming to stay with me next year - said "Oh it looks nice but its a shame you can't swim in the sea in England!" I just cracked up! Told her of course you can in the summer, even if it is a bit cold, at least its not full of sharks, crocs and bloody jellyfish!!!!

Well come for a visit when you are next over and we will take a walk along the seafront and eat fish and chips from the Blue Dolphin chippy!
why did you do that!?
I have been craving fish n chips for so long and I forgot about it but now I am craving again!
I want to go to Brighton pier and eat fish n chips
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Hi Betty, I'm here!

I don't know what Maltoo decided about the Hastings area but I believe she was in the UK over the Christmas period and must have done some checking around then though I believe she was based in Essex. Wasn't she looking to get into the antiques business?

I recall that I had recommended the area surrounding Hastings to her and in particular Rye plus Battle and Etchingham but the youtube videos reinforce the idea of being in the old conservation area quarter of the town as well. Lovely! You did well to get in at the price you did because there isn't that much supply in that area at all these days at the right price.

I managed to dig up a previous aries post of her priorities before she had finally decided to plump for Torquay.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=343

It's hard to say where she would be best placed to visit family but Gatwick has no flights to Frankfurt (only Dusseldorf on Easyjet) and Torquay actually still has direct train service to the Midlands (CrossCountry) as opposed to getting to London, through London and then onwards, from Hastings whether to the Midlands, or Essex or to an airport (Heathrow or Stansted) that serves Frankfurt.

Ex Torquay - Bristol doesn't have service to Frankfurt either (only Berlin) and Exeter only serves Dusseldorf (Flybe).
Early last year I had a good opportunity to buy a small affordable flat adjacent to London's City Airport with a picture-window view up the Thames to Canary Wharf, but stupidly I let a small patch of damp on the wall put me off. The damp in my flat here was far worse! City Airport would have been perfect for flights to Frankfurt, and of course there is good transport into the centre of London.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Early last year I had a good opportunity to buy a small affordable flat adjacent to London's City Airport with a picture-window view up the Thames to Canary Wharf, but stupidly I let a small patch of damp on the wall put me off. The damp in my flat here was far worse! City Airport would have been perfect for flights to Frankfurt, and of course there is good transport into the centre of London.
Dead right! I'd forgotten that London City would have had good access to Frankfurt as another business centre.

Concerns ref damp can be very off-putting until one finds somebody reassuring that says it is really no big deal when properly attended to.

Funnily enough I had looked at buying a property in Cornwall some years back but the survey report indicated that there were ongoing issues relating to damp - it was on the edge of Bodmin Moor - which would always require watching and some maintenance from time to time. When I brought this to the attention of the vendor he said that one would never be able to buy property in Cornwall if one were concerned about damp .
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

In my mind I'd already invited myself to Diggle
Me too
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Dead right! I'd forgotten that London City would have had good access to Frankfurt as another business centre.

Concerns ref damp can be very off-putting until one finds somebody reassuring that says it is really no big deal when properly attended to.

Funnily enough I had looked at buying a property in Cornwall some years back but the survey report indicated that there were ongoing issues relating to damp - it was on the edge of Bodmin Moor - which would always require watching and some maintenance from time to time. When I brought this to the attention of the vendor he said that one would never be able to buy property in Cornwall if one were concerned about damp .
I read some months ago that more than 60% of homes in England have damp problems, enough to make you go troppo
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:58 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Me too
I will get the chippy to stock up then for when you and Cardienscarf get here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.