Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old May 4th 2013, 7:44 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
That is true Karma !!! Love it !! Payback !!!!
Ha ha ha! Isn't it just amazing how things just fall into place and the rotters get their comeuppance?!!! I'm not just happy right now I'm ecstatic!
Old May 4th 2013, 8:25 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Ok well good morning all, have a wee bit of a chuckle to share with you all today!

As some of you know from reading this thread, I work alone but I do get back up from the nearest station 20 kms away if I need it. Now the majority of the officers there are pretty mean to me (as I have stated before) for different reasons - they are rude to me, rude to my patients, criticise my patient care and bitch about me constantly behind my back. Its hard enough being here alone, working alone and having no family so their treatment of me has added to my stress and has been one of the reasons I have been so desperate to leave.

I'm lucky that my 3 senior managers like me and are aware of the problem, I have constantly rebuked the other officers, fought back and stood my ground but it has been exhausting and miserable to say the least.

Anyways today I found out who my replacement is going to be - only the meanest, nastiest, rudest, most hated and most condescending paramedic in the whole region!!!!! The best bit? He's more highly qualified than any of them so will have the final say on every single job and they will all have to do exactly as they are told.

They're all panicking now the news is out and coming to my boss begging him to tell them its not true and, bless him, he has pointed out that yes it is true and maybe its all down to one little word. KARMA!

This new paramedic will make their lives a living hell. I worked with him once and I wanted to punch him, strangle him and stab him all at the same time cos he was just so damn horrible. I swear to God I will never stop laughing. NEVER!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
What goes around comes around!!! Karma at its best.
Old May 4th 2013, 8:30 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Ha ha ha! Isn't it just amazing how things just fall into place and the rotters get their comeuppance?!!! I'm not just happy right now I'm ecstatic!
No really??? I never would have guessed!!!!!
Old May 4th 2013, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people with bad attitudes allowed to work as paramedics, and what prompts anyone to become a paramedic?

In Adelaide I went to hospital many times mainly because of cardiac issues, and ambulance crews were generally very caring and professional. However on one occasion I refused to go because of the rudeness and arrogance of a paramedic. He put my life at risk, yet he is supposed to be doing the opposite.

A woman in the area told me of a similar experience, and our descriptions of the man indicated the same person.

How much training is given for paramedics, and do they go through psychological tests and routine assessments? If there are complaints from the public, do ambulance services take any notice, or are they ruled by needing personnel, so do nothing?
Old May 4th 2013, 10:14 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Why are people with bad attitudes allowed to work as paramedics, and what prompts anyone to become a paramedic?

In Adelaide I went to hospital many times mainly because of cardiac issues, and ambulance crews were generally very caring and professional. However on one occasion I refused to go because of the rudeness and arrogance of a paramedic. He put my life at risk, yet he is supposed to be doing the opposite.

A woman in the area told me of a similar experience, and our descriptions of the man indicated the same person.

How much training is given for paramedics, and do they go through psychological tests and routine assessments? If there are complaints from the public, do ambulance services take any notice, or are they ruled by needing personnel, so do nothing?
I became a paramedic because I wanted to help people. I like to think I am very good at my job, clinically competent and very caring - I do have a handful of thank you letters so obviously I am doing something right.

The person I am referring to is an excellent paramedic and treats his patients very well - I would be happy for him to treat a member of my family any day of the week - its just other paramedics he is unkind to.

Since being here in Australia I have been continually astounded by the terrible treatment of paramedics here to each other, they are really quite nasty to each other, always 'one-upping' and back stabbing each other - there is no solidarity. In the UK it is completely different. I miss my old colleagues so so much, I have been a paramedic for 16 years and never experienced such hostility and nastiness from other medics as I have here, it is one of then main things that has prompted me to return back to a UK service.

I can assure you that we go through years of extensive training and, in the UK, we are continually assessed, not so much here in Australia. In the UK if a paramedic is complained about it is taken seriously, we are stood down from duty until the complaint is resolved. We are all state registered in the UK with the Health Professions Council and if the complaint is deemed as serious - either attitude or clinical - they will investigate it and deal with it, not the service the medic works for.

All investigations both upcoming, current and resolved are published on their website with full details and the name of the paramedic. We don't get off lightly in the UK, here its dealt with internally and normally the medic gets off with a 'slap on the wrists' unless a patient has actually died and the conduct of the paramedic is called in to question, then it goes to the Ethical Standards committee.

We are health care professionals and have to perform to the highest standards under the code of conduct or else we can lose our registration and hence our careers. We are held accountable on every level - rest assured every complaint is investigated even if the patient is at fault. In the course of my 16 years on the road I have been kicked, punched, sworn at, spat at, threatened with knives, had a gun pushed in my face and, once, pushed down a flight of stairs, fracturing my skull. I am still here, still doing my job and why? Because I love what I do and saving one person's life is worth a whole year of being treated like garbage by members of the public.

Its not an easy job, we get very little support from our management. We are expected to work all hours in all weathers and are often forced to extend a 12 hour shift by up to 2 hours more if we are needed against our will - we are not allowed to refuse, if we do it becomes a disciplinary matter. We are not just paramedics but are counsellors, porters, baby sitters, punchbags, chauffeurs, relationship mediators, taxi drivers, cleaners and we have to be our patient's advocate at all times and are never to judge them even in situations where its hard not to. When some drunk driver has just seriously injured/killed an innocent person who was just on their way home from work, when someone has beaten some poor person on a night out half to death because 'they looked at me funny', when someone has hurt their child because they are so high on drugs they 'didn't know what they were doing'. I do this job because I truly love it and I will do this job until the day I am no longer physically able to. Why? Because it is the best job in the world and - well someone has to do it.

Last edited by MissBetty; May 4th 2013 at 11:21 am.
Old May 4th 2013, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I must wonder if the climate of FNQ affects temperaments, or if paramedics in Oz generally back-stab each other. I don't know why they would want to do this in a career where they need each other in the difficult situations you've detailed.

I know what it is like to be at the wrong end of a gun, and at times have had to carry a weapon, fortunately not used except in training and ongoing practice.

Hopefully in Britain the worst moments for you will be trying to make your way through the busy narrow streets!
Old May 4th 2013, 1:48 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by aries
Hmm, I must wonder if the climate of FNQ affects temperaments, or if paramedics in Oz generally back-stab each other. I don't know why they would want to do this in a career where they need each other in the difficult situations you've detailed.

I know what it is like to be at the wrong end of a gun, and at times have had to carry a weapon, fortunately not used except in training and ongoing practice.

Hopefully in Britain the worst moments for you will be trying to make your way through the busy narrow streets!
I honestly don't know but it was even worse in Brisbane. I'm used to dealing with difficult people and situations but the worst thing about my 5 years here has been the other paramedics.

It's not
just me either, so many UK medics left and went back due to this - we were all really confused as to why there are so many who are nasty and completely awful not to mention the most ego driven arrogant individuals we'd ever met!

My job is more dangerous in the UK but I prefer working there as I could trust the people I worked with to have my back. Here? Most of them would just stick a knife in it! Lol!

Last edited by MissBetty; May 4th 2013 at 1:51 pm.
Old May 4th 2013, 4:05 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know but it was even worse in Brisbane. I'm used to dealing with difficult people and situations but the worst thing about my 5 years here has been the other paramedics.

It's not
just me either, so many UK medics left and went back due to this - we were all really confused as to why there are so many who are nasty and completely awful not to mention the most ego driven arrogant individuals we'd ever met!

My job is more dangerous in the UK but I prefer working there as I could trust the people I worked with to have my back. Here? Most of them would just stick a knife in it! Lol!
Can I have your number when I get to the UK so I can call you if I'm in an emergency?

Seriously, I admire what you do. Your job is so vital and you should be treated with respect everywhere you go.
Old May 5th 2013, 12:04 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Can I have your number when I get to the UK so I can call you if I'm in an emergency?

Seriously, I admire what you do. Your job is so vital and you should be treated with respect everywhere you go.
Thank you! I love my job, it's all I ever wanted to do in life and I know I'm lucky to do what I love.

At the end of the day all I ever wanted was to do my job, nothing more, nothing less yet here, due to nasty incompetent colleagues and non supportive police I feel like I'm doing my job with one arm tied behind my back.

My job certainly wasn't perfect in the UK but I had more skills than here, generally got on very well with my colleagues and had a great working relationship with the police!

Only 8 shifts to go, then having my leaving do with a few close and wonderful friends then 10 days of packing, cleaning, saying goodbyes and then, finally, I am DONE!!!!!
Old May 5th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 5th 2013, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
No really??? I never would have guessed!!!!!
Miss Betty, queen of the understatement
Old May 5th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Betty, once again I am filled with admiration for you and the job that you do. I am happy to know that I shall be returning to the UK with the utmost professionals such as yourself holding the care of myself and the OH in your hands.
Old May 5th 2013, 12:55 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Miss Betty, once again I am filled with admiration for you and the job that you do. I am happy to know that I shall be returning to the UK with the utmost professionals such as yourself holding the care of myself and the OH in your hands.
Anytime and I'm looking forward to our fish and chips on the seafront lol!
Old May 5th 2013, 1:03 pm
Practical Paramedic

Well now the good news just keeps coming! A friend of mine from Adelaide phoned me today, we met in South America on a trip and have been friends for years and we have met up with each other for holidays all around the globe!

My last 4 days here I was just going to stay at my boss's house (which will be empty) and I wouldn't be able to go anywhere as I don't have a car but, hey, no real drama. So my friend has just told me that she booked a flight and a hire car weeks ago as a surprise and she is coming up to stay with me for my last weekend! I just got a surprise cheap deal on wotif.com for us in Cairns and now we are spending 4 nights in the most AMAZING luxury 5 star hotel!

I shall look forward to lazing by the pool, drinking cocktails and just plain chillin out with my lovely friend before I fly back to Blighty
Old May 5th 2013, 3:16 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Miss Betty, queen of the understatement
that's why we love her !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.