Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by MissBetty
You know its funny but I did take a photo of her leaving and put it up on Facebook this morning. We had so many adventures together including a 2000kms trek through the middle of nowhere to the Outback when I got posted there a few years back.

I did think about shipping her home but she was 12 years old, had 240,000 on the clock and I still got the equivalent of 4500 GBP for her, cars are SO expensive here! It would have cost a further 2500 GBP to ship her home and it just wasn't financially viable in the end. I'm looking online at a fab 3 year old Mini Cooper atm, low mileage, vcg and its up for 10,000 GBP. I should be able to haggle them down on the price as its from a garage so I'll end up with a much better car for just a wee bit more money. Still had a bit of a lump in my throat today but the lady who bought her is British and loves her to bits - she even asked me what her name was ha ha!!! I told her she answers to Bettie the Beetle, she likes a certain type of fuel which makes her run better and she is very fast so watch out for the cops lol!
Did I mention my car was given the nickname 'the red jet' by one of the cops in town? I daresay you'll have to keep the old lead foot in check if you get the Mini as well. It sounds fab!

Last edited by curleytops; Apr 26th 2013 at 11:06 am. Reason: tags
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

You know its funny but I did take a photo of her leaving and put it up on Facebook this morning. We had so many adventures together including a 2000kms trek through the middle of nowhere to the Outback when I got posted there a few years back.

I did think about shipping her home but she was 12 years old, had 240,000 on the clock and I still got the equivalent of 4500 GBP for her, cars are SO expensive here! It would have cost a further 2500 GBP to ship her home and it just wasn't financially viable in the end. I'm looking online at a fab 3 year old Mini Cooper atm, low mileage, vcg and its up for 10,000 GBP. I should be able to haggle them down on the price as its from a garage so I'll end up with a much better car for just a wee bit more money. Still had a bit of a lump in my throat today but the lady who bought her is British and loves her to bits - she even asked me what her name was ha ha!!! I told her she answers to Bettie the Beetle, she likes a certain type of fuel which makes her run better and she is very fast so watch out for the cops lol!
Only 12 years old? That's almost new, I had my 1968 Holden Kingswood for 32 years! Did lots of interstate trips between Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, generally cruising at 80 mph, though often a lot more. Sad to see it go, but it was bought by an RAA mechanic who didn't even give it a test drive. My garage mechanic said he loved to work on the car, he could open the bonnet, get in, walk around and enjoy himself
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:13 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Only 12 years old? That's almost new, I had my 1968 Holden Kingswood for 32 years! Did lots of interstate trips between Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, generally cruising at 80 mph, though often a lot more. Sad to see it go, but it was bought by an RAA mechanic who didn't even give it a test drive. My garage mechanic said he loved to work on the car, he could open the bonnet, get in, walk around and enjoy himself
Lol! Yes my little car didn't even have one rust spot on her, she looked like new but I really looked after her, regular servicing, high octane fuel etc

Yes you can get away with being a bit of a lead foot here on some of the outback roads, I used to quite happily cruise along at 160kpm on the long road to Mt Isa when I worked remote no cops/speed cameras/other vehicles for 100's of kms! Never drove after dark on those roads though, too many cows and giant pigs on the road - not to mention the odd camel popping up in the middle of nowhere! So many times I just had to slow down, stop and gawp!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:34 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I found this on YouTube this morning:-

http://youtu.be/euR9P7c9dA4

This is where I live in the UK, just round the corner from the old church in the video! Just hearing the sound of the seagulls makes me so homesick! This man has done a great job but that pub isn't as old as he thinks it is - very pretty though, there are about 15 parts to this series so just putting the kettle on................ lol!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

This is where I live in the UK, just round the corner from the old church in the video! Just hearing the sound of the seagulls makes me so homesick! This man has done a great job but that pub isn't as old as he thinks it is - very pretty though, there are about 15 parts to this series so just putting the kettle on................ lol!
Bet that did make you homesick. Feel that way every time I see London in a movie like Skyfall Hope you have a brand new box of tissues if you are going to watch the lot!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:19 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Bet that did make you homesick. Feel that way every time I see London in a movie like Skyfall Hope you have a brand new box of tissues if you are going to watch the lot!
I get a bit teary but it's actually helping today, I'm so bored just stuck up here alone so I'm trying to pretend I'm back there right now lol!! Here's another couple of clips from the same series and this is the road I actually live in - he walks right past my house and my local pub the 'Jenny Lind' ha ha ha!!!! I was watching it and thinking now I remember what a bugger it is to park there!

http://youtu.be/vZMG7ZSoyf4

http://youtu.be/cJ_spSiLRqE

Just 31 days now and I will be HOME!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Apr 27th 2013 at 2:01 am.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:53 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Hearing the seagulls put a bit of a lump in my throat. I can't believe I've spent so many years living so far from the sea!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I get a bit teary but it's actually helping today, I'm so bored just stuck up here alone so I'm trying to pretend I'm back there right now lol!! Here's another couple of clips from the same series and this is the road I actually live in - he walks right past my house and my local pub the 'Jenny Lind' ha ha ha!!!! I was watching it and thinking now I remember what a buggar it is to park there!

Aww that's fab!!! Glad it made you feel better. I have found a couple of you tube videos of Inspector Clouseau outtakes that can take me out of any low mood

Just ONE MORE MONTH Can't believe it's come up so fast
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Hearing the seagulls put a bit of a lump in my throat. I can't believe I've spent so many years living so far from the sea!
I live near the sea (sort of - takes an hour to get there) but it's not the same. Nothing smells or sounds like the coast of England
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I get a bit teary but it's actually helping today, I'm so bored just stuck up here alone so I'm trying to pretend I'm back there right now lol!! Here's another couple of clips from the same series and this is the road I actually live in - he walks right past my house and my local pub the 'Jenny Lind' ha ha ha!!!! I was watching it and thinking now I remember what a buggar it is to park there!

Foyles house!

I've never been to Hastings, now it is on the list for our next visit home
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:52 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Foyles house!

Me neither but it looks lovely.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:54 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I know! I love the British seaside - stony beaches and all! I was laughing yesterday when a lovely Aussie friend of mine - who is coming to stay with me next year - said "Oh it looks nice but its a shame you can't swim in the sea in England!" I just cracked up! Told her of course you can in the summer, even if it is a bit cold, at least its not full of sharks, crocs and bloody jellyfish!!!!

I live near the sea (sort of - takes an hour to get there) but it's not the same. Nothing smells or sounds like the coast of England
Well come for a visit when you are next over and we will take a walk along the seafront and eat fish and chips from the Blue Dolphin chippy!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:54 am

You're right! I spent about 6 months in Southern CA thinking I'd like being by the sea. Just didn't do it for me.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:55 am

I know! I love the British seaside - stony beaches and all! I was laughing yesterday when a lovely Aussie friend of mine - who is coming to stay with me next year - said "Oh it looks nice but its a shame you can't swim in the sea in England!" I just cracked up! Told her of course you can in the summer, even if it is a bit cold, at least its not full of sharks, crocs and bloody jellyfish!!!!

Well come for a visit when you are next over and we will take a walk along the seafront and eat fish and chips from the Blue Dolphin chippy!
Let me know when and I'll come down too
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:56 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Foyles house!

Awesome, you will love it! The main town is very rundown but the Old Town is just lovely so come visit!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.