Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Hi MissBetty
I did a nice long post several days ago but then my computer went to poop so I figured I would come back around and post again now that my computer has been cleared and fixed (and my irritation level of having lost that first post is back to normal ).

I wanted to say that I think it's perfectly normal to feel the way you feel now that all you really have to do is wait. Once all the hoops have been jumped through and everything is virtually situated, waiting is the hardest part. But you will see, time will fly and before you know it it will be time to leave, so try to enjoy the last bit of time you have there while you can. I know it is kind of cliche and much easier said than done to just patiently wait.
Heck, I don't have a darn thing ready, the house is a heap, visas are not done, animals, jobs, rentals, etc etc- we don't even know where we will live! Eventhough there is still so much left to do I still feel like leaving next week, like the time is just dragging. I know soon enough it won't feel like that anymore and I will be running mad (queen of procrastination here) though, lol.
I just think what you're feeling and experiencing is totally normal and common, especially given that you are prepared and all set to go, working pretty remotely with little interaction (wanna switch places for a bit? I could so use some time on my own) and anxious to get back to home with all the people you love so much.
I really love reading all of your stories of your job and all the antics you face. Keep it up.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

"Troppo", is that Italian for crazy? Or Australian?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
"Troppo", is that Italian for crazy? Or Australian?
My guess is it may be analogous to island fever? Or gone native? Either way I think it means crazy ...
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:16 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Miss Betty,

I've gone through a lot of this thread and I don't know if I missed something, but can't you just leave and go home to England now if you really want to? I can just feel your anxiety through these posts and I think if you are really freaking out and want desperately to get on with it and you can, you should. If nothing is truly holding you and you are able, I think you should go to where you want to be as soon as you can.

Again, I may have missed something or perhaps I'm naive about this kind of thing...obviously I haven't done it yet, but you are prepared, your things are on their way or have already arrived, you have a home and people to go to....I say, go for it!

Just my two cents, for whatever they are worth.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:32 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Gone 'troppo' is an Aussie expression that means you have gone a bit mad lol!

It was first used by Australian troops in the second world war and the official meaning is given as 'affected by war service in the tropics' - basically gone a bit potty due to the tropical heat in times of stress.

Seeing as I work in the Tropics I thought it was rather apt!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:43 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Miss Betty,

I've gone through a lot of this thread and I don't know if I missed something, but can't you just leave and go home to England now if you really want to? I can just feel your anxiety through these posts and I think if you are really freaking out and want desperately to get on with it and you can, you should. If nothing is truly holding you and you are able, I think you should go to where you want to be as soon as you can.

Again, I may have missed something or perhaps I'm naive about this kind of thing...obviously I haven't done it yet, but you are prepared, your things are on their way or have already arrived, you have a home and people to go to....I say, go for it!

Just my two cents, for whatever they are worth.
Hi Sile! Yes, can totally see your point but the fact is I just don't have enough money to go home atm. I don't think I really addressed this in my original post did I?

After booking my flight, work related course and paying for shipping I've been left with a huge hole in my savings. I have a property in the UK and, as it is a flat, its a shared freehold and recently we had to have a new roof and the outside painted. Its a converted Georgian town house and 4 stories tall which meant it took weeks, man power and a lot of (expensive!) scaffolding so that cost me thousands as well - sigh!!!

If I stick it out for the next few months I will have a reasonable amount of money to go home with. I'm not materialistic at all but I have a mortgage, bills to pay and I don't have a job to go home to. I'm quite employable (I think!) but getting work takes time. I want to work freelance but even then I will have to do SOME frontline work to keep my skills up. When you apply for a job as a paramedic it involves a medical, fitness test, written tests, practical skills tests and an interview. HR are not that quick off the mark either and the average time from applying to getting a post is around 2 months As things stand currently, I'd have enough to last me 3 months if I am careful, I just don't want my return home to be marred by financial worries.

I do agree that nothing is holding me here now, its purely financial and maybe that is at the root of my frustration? If I had the money I would up and go tomorrow!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post, hope that your plans are moving along nicely and you are getting closer to your big move! Good luck

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 5th 2013 at 10:14 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hang in there Miss B, calendar and big red pen are my usual standbyes! Those 16 weeks will be gone in a flash but isnt it sad that we spend so much of our time wishing our lives away! Hopefully it will cool down soon!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:05 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Beccarose
Hi MissBetty
I did a nice long post several days ago but then my computer went to poop so I figured I would come back around and post again now that my computer has been cleared and fixed (and my irritation level of having lost that first post is back to normal ).

I wanted to say that I think it's perfectly normal to feel the way you feel now that all you really have to do is wait. Once all the hoops have been jumped through and everything is virtually situated, waiting is the hardest part. But you will see, time will fly and before you know it it will be time to leave, so try to enjoy the last bit of time you have there while you can. I know it is kind of cliche and much easier said than done to just patiently wait.
Heck, I don't have a darn thing ready, the house is a heap, visas are not done, animals, jobs, rentals, etc etc- we don't even know where we will live! Eventhough there is still so much left to do I still feel like leaving next week, like the time is just dragging. I know soon enough it won't feel like that anymore and I will be running mad (queen of procrastination here) though, lol.
I just think what you're feeling and experiencing is totally normal and common, especially given that you are prepared and all set to go, working pretty remotely with little interaction (wanna switch places for a bit? I could so use some time on my own) and anxious to get back to home with all the people you love so much.
I really love reading all of your stories of your job and all the antics you face. Keep it up.
Hi Becca, thanks for your lovely positive reply - I know I will probably look back at this one day and laugh, well I hope so lol!

I AM anxious to get home and spend time with my family. I miss them all so much. My Dad will be 72 in a few weeks time and they are all going out for dinner at a lovely little old smugglers pub right on the beach (one of my favourites) it kills me not to be there, truly it does

I'm counting the days but I'm trying to make the most of it even though I must admit I don't feel like it! My best friend (the crazy Jamaican!) is now coming over in April, just found out this morning! She's coming up here for a week so that has cheered me up no end, will be so good to see her, can't wait! I've also booked a few days away at a nice little place on the Gold Coast so I can go and have a surf and take some time out from here. I'm kinda thinking oh only 3 weeks til ........, Only 6 weeks til............ I'm just trying to pull myself together and stop feeling so crappy!

Hope you finally get everything together, sounds like its crazy time at your house so thanks for the offer but no, no swops thanks lol! I would suggest though that you give your hubby a list of chores, jump on a plane and come here ha ha ha!!! I have a spare room, wine and you can come out and meet all my nutty patients lol! x
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:12 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by quoll
Hang in there Miss B, calendar and big red pen are my usual standbyes! Those 16 weeks will be gone in a flash but isnt it sad that we spend so much of our time wishing our lives away! Hopefully it will cool down soon!
Thanks Quoll! I keep marking things off in the diary and giving myself 'points' to get to. Holiday on Goldie - 4 weeks, best friend's visit 8 weeks, home in 16 weeks etc etc. I don't want to wish my life away but I'm so ready to leave, like I said in a previous post its only money thats holding me back atm and that is SO frustrating!

Yes the weather doesn't help, its so hot and humid up here, everyone is a bit grouchy and a lot of my patients are being very snappy with me. I think I have two big holes in my bottom lip now where I have bitten it so much lol!!!

Hope your parents are doing ok after all their health problems and you are still enjoying life back in Blighty!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

So, now I understand the meaning of "gone troppo". What a great expression. I will be wheeling it out, may even try it on Mr J, who grew up in Australia.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:25 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by jemima55
So, now I understand the meaning of "gone troppo". What a great expression. I will be wheeling it out, may even try it on Mr J, who grew up in Australia.
Lol! Just add an 'o' onto everything and you will be fluent in S'tralian Jemima, I must admit I do love their expressions here!

For example avro (afternoon), servo (service station), smoko (tea break, cigs optional!), and, my personal favourite, drongo (stupid person) oh and add an 'o' on to most names too

In a sentence? No problems! "Jeez Davo is such a drongo, sent him down the servo at smoko this avro and he came back 4 hours later cos he went the wrong way! I'm sure the bloody blokes gone troppo!"

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 5th 2013 at 10:40 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

I would suggest though that you give your hubby a list of chores, jump on a plane and come here ha ha ha!!! I have a spare room, wine and you can come out and meet all my nutty patients lol! x
Ooohh, very tempting!! If only I knew dh would do the things I list off for him. I'm suspecting not since I got pretty upset with him for moving around too much in bed last night (who on earth ever thought it was a good idea for people (yes, even couples) to share a bed?!?!). So now I am tired and grouchy and he's annoyed with me for being annoyed with him... hmm.

I think it's really common when we're not all that content to just play the waiting game. Waiting 2 weeks for that and 3 weeks for this and 5 weeks for the other. I find I do that too if I don't have things to keep myself occupied (currently it's a house full (literally) of crap (not literally) that *I* have to sort through because I know no one else around here will do it). My suggestion to you is take up a hobby if you can. Find an online game you like, or some sort of activity that will help you with the time factor. I know being on duty all of the time is a massive time commitment so maybe pick something that won't matter if you get called away. Knitting, or scrap booking or there's an online game (free) I used to play and got really in to and I am the exact opposite of a "gamer" but really liked it, I just don't play now because I have too much else to manage (I believe there's a move to plan and pull off...), but let me know if you're interested and want the name of it, did I mention it's free?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:02 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Beccarose
Ooohh, very tempting!! If only I knew dh would do the things I list off for him. I'm suspecting not since I got pretty upset with him for moving around too much in bed last night (who on earth ever thought it was a good idea for people (yes, even couples) to share a bed?!?!). So now I am tired and grouchy and he's annoyed with me for being annoyed with him... hmm.

I think it's really common when we're not all that content to just play the waiting game. Waiting 2 weeks for that and 3 weeks for this and 5 weeks for the other. I find I do that too if I don't have things to keep myself occupied (currently it's a house full (literally) of crap (not literally) that *I* have to sort through because I know no one else around here will do it). My suggestion to you is take up a hobby if you can. Find an online game you like, or some sort of activity that will help you with the time factor. I know being on duty all of the time is a massive time commitment so maybe pick something that won't matter if you get called away. Knitting, or scrap booking or there's an online game (free) I used to play and got really in to and I am the exact opposite of a "gamer" but really liked it, I just don't play now because I have too much else to manage (I believe there's a move to plan and pull off...), but let me know if you're interested and want the name of it, did I mention it's free?
Lol! If I ever got married again (not too keen to go down that road again though!) I'd insist on my own room! I always loved that old black and white movie 'Rebecca' where the first Mrs de Winter had that ah-mah-zing room with a 4 poster bed, on suit bathroom and a dressing room - a girl can dream lol!!!!

I think I am just so bored and lonely up here. I'm a very lively person and, as much as I can be happy with my own company, I love a good natter and love a good laugh. I love going out dancing with my friends, having a few drinks, weekends away - I just feel like I'm dying up here some days. When I feel really bad I put on a funky record and just have a mad dance around the house! If anyone saw me they would seriously think I'm as nutty as a fruitcake but I just close my eyes and imagine I am somewhere else, having fun, it always cheers me up!

That's an excellent suggestion re hobbies, I've actually started writing a book to pass the time after someone on here mentioned that maybe I should. I already keep a journal of my more chuckle worthy jobs so am currently writing up a story a day, helps to pass the time!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:01 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

I just met a woman who went back to the UK with her husband (both ex-pats) for xmas after a long long time living in oz, their world has imploded since they got back from that trip.

He wont eat australian food, says it's shit, they spent the whole time in the Uk just eating delicious things with real flavour she reckoned lol, they took their son (under 10 year old) who has always lived in australia and apparently he ate sausages the whole time, and couldn't believe just how good the food was there and how gristly and cardboardy and absolutely shitty is is here.

She said everything was really cheap, the Tv was 100 times better, the people were 100 times more intelligent, friendly, informed and good spirited, the public transport was a dream, the list went on and on.....

So what was going to be a one off holiday has turned into "How the hell can we even stay here for another week, lets just sell everything and go back for good - Australia is a shadow of it's former self, a fraction of what it's made out to be and a cultural black hole of low grade everything, third rate political satire and infantile media.

She got me all riled up too and together we were ready to march to the airport today for a while there lmao.

So that kind of sealed it for me too Betty, no more denying the truth to myself, no more waiting and hoping that the feelings of homesickness and discontent will pass, no more trying to make the best of a bad situation, I have decided to go home to the UK as soon as I can, it's going to take realistically a few months to put all the pieces in place but it is a definite decision that I made an hour ago in the car driving home from meeting this amazing fellow ex pat that just put the situation into perfect words with no holds barred and everything she said struck right through my heart.

See you for a pint in real pub within the year Betty, and we'll go have some cod and chips afterwards, my shout.

Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Perthomeschool, You have to really be a speech pathologist and have a Masters degree. There is reciprocity between US, UK and other countries but I think to work just as an assistant in the UK is not worth the aggro. I have been accepted to graduate program for behavioial analysis which is transferable to UK but will take about 2 years. Right now not in mood for dealing with school. I am now in California 4 blocks from ocean renting a house with me and my dog..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.