Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:24 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by Beccarose
Thank you very much for saying that, all of it.
I'm glad you've begun selecting who you continue to help, that one woman sure as heck doesn't deserve any more of your time. I have people like that around me too, more so when I try harder with people, which is why I guess I've just tried less and less over the years. People are so weird and I often times wonder why I can't meet people like some of those I have come across on here in real life.
I know!!! There are so many awesome, kind people on here, I love my BE 'family' ha ha!!!

Oh you're welcome, I think you and I have PM'd each other enough times that I'd know if it was you - its not!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Lol! I've been such a cow, really I have!

Last time I went home in 2011 my parents and I did have a big chat about why they decided to return. Its great because they have been through the same thing as me and they know exactly how I feel.

Mum told me about what it was like for her, moving to the other side of the world with my Dad's brother and his wife as the only people they knew. They lived on a immigrants camp in Perth and Mum said she was so lonely, stuck at home, no friends, no family, no money with a 2 year old and a baby whilst my Dad tramped the streets day in, day out looking for work. She actually got quite tearful talking about it which shocked me as she is one of the toughest people I know. She said she spent the days walking with us in the pram trawling the second hand shops for bits and pieces to make the nissan hut they lived in look as homely and nice as possible.

My Dad said he enjoyed the adventure but it was hard at first looking for work knowing he had a young family at home to support. My Dad is Irish and he got such a hard time from the Aussies, winding him up and calling him thick - he got into a lot of fights!!! He was a labourer by trade but then got his truck licence, I honestly don't know how he spent all those early years working outside in the hot sun.

They came back to the UK once after 4 years but couldn't settle so went back to Oz after a year but returned for good after another 8 years. They both just said they had enough of feeling like outsiders, never fitting in and they just missed so much - their family, friends, the British way of life etc etc.

We had some great times though! When I was 10 and my sister was 8 we all drove across the Nullarbor with just a tent in my Dad's old Holden station wagon. It was still a dirt road then and we drove from Perth to Sydney and back - took about 6 weeks I seem to recall? I remember it like it was yesterday, one of the best holidays we ever had! I remember we stopped at a place called Ivy Tanks cos Mum needed the loo but she wouldn't go because the dunny was an old oil drum cut in half with a tyre stuck on top lol! She refused and held on until the next town - too funny!!!!!

They said when they came back it was harder than they thought, people didn't want to hear about their time in Australia and a lot of people tried to make them feel like they'd 'failed' or something. They went from a nice house with a pool to a grotty, rented 2 bed flat then, of course, they had to start looking for work all over again! Now with two teenage children unhappy with being uprooted again, the strain on them was so bad that they nearly split up.

I'm pleased to report that they are still together, married nearly 50 years, very happy and live in a cottage in a cute little village. They are retired, love their gardening, have a camper van and have a better social life than I do! They are off to Italy, Switzerland, France and Germany in May, they said they will come home when their money runs out ha ha ha! The only thing they argue about these days is whose turn it is to do the washing up

I have a one bed flat in Hastings old town (far enough away from Hastings main town I swear!) so I am moving back in there. I was looking at pics online yesterday (feeling homesick!) and it looks so pretty, so familiar, I can't wait to get back. After all the upheavals of the past few years I am looking forward to a bit of stability and a normal life. Am I ready to hang up the backpack??!! Weeeeelllll maybe, just for a little while
Ah, so they were ping-pongers too! Seems so many of us are. How lovely to be able to share this very special bond with family. I'm afraid I have ping-ponged a few to many times, and I think my family is crying wolf, and I have also gotten the inevitable, why would you want to leave Florida to come back HERE?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I just posted this on another thread in case anyone is interested?!

This is where I live in the UK :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...gs-east-sussex
I did see it on the other thread AND I am checking in to it. Loving the rental prices on rightmove!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
This really caught my eye. I have been experiencing this terrible loneliness lately. It seems to be getting worse, too. I am not working at the moment so I am home a lot and I feel as if I am going crazy - and, yes, it is turning my perspective upside down on many things. Sometimes I think I am losing my mind

I don't know of anyone else here (USA) who has experienced this, so I wonder if this terrible loneliness that some of us seem to feel is because we are expats. Quite honestly, I have experienced it a LOT in the years that I have been here - 30 years. In fact, aside from one or two people I can almost say I lived my life here in isolation, except when I was working, of course.

Other than the odd superficial banter with someone at work, I don't feel much, if any, common ground with anyone here - and it's been like that the entire 30 years.
Windsong, I can complete empathize with you. If I am not busy I can retreat into myself quite easily. I have had part time jobs on and off since we have been here in Florida, but am not working at present. To keep occupied I volunteer at a local hospital gift shop. I highly recommend finding something similar, within your interests. It can mean the end to long. lonely days. Chin up, love. It will get better, and soon you will find yourself on your way home.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Naishy
Hi MissBetty, I'm new to this forum thing so please excuse me! Anyway, I have read through your thread & it seems we have the same desire. To leave the places we have called "Home," for, in my case the last 15years, & return to the "Mother Land," & our true HOME. I truly sympathise with your desire to want to "go," right now. It was when I went back to England & France for the Christmas period that it truly dawned upon me the things I had taken for granted in England before hold so much importance now, the culture & charisma from every angle. Living out in the Backwoods of Georgia has had it's fantastic moments but now it's time to turn my back & start anew. It seems that you are in exactly the same boat. I wish the time would move faster for you & your time to depart would be here tomorrow. Once the decision has been made, it feels like a weight has been lifted from our shoulders & the moment cannot happen soon enough. Stay strong & your day will be here sooner than you think.
Beware the, "oh maybe it's not so bad here after all" that can also follow this sense of relief Going through it right now. I'm not fooled though. I am taking the view that I will enjoy my last few years to the fullest - why not? - but I know where I ultimately belong. Wishing you a swift return homeward
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:35 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I did see it on the other thread AND I am checking in to it. Loving the rental prices on rightmove!
I have just posted some more info on the other thread for you!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:48 pm
Practical Paramedic

Ah, so they were ping-pongers too! Seems so many of us are. How lovely to be able to share this very special bond with family. I'm afraid I have ping-ponged a few to many times, and I think my family is crying wolf, and I have also gotten the inevitable, why would you want to leave Florida to come back HERE?
Yes indeed lol! I know I still want to travel and will probably do some contract work overseas but I want to base myself in the UK.

If I do end up working in the UK on road again my mortgage is so low now that I can afford to go part time, just 2 x 12 hour shifts per week. I love my job but I'm so over the aggro that goes with it, would be nice to cut back on my hours.

Last night I went out to a drunk, vomiting 19 year old and all her irritating drunk friends. Had to put her on the stretcher (could not stand) and they were all crying and saying they wanted to come with her but I said no so they started yelling at me. One drunk girl climbed in the front drivers seat while I was loading the pt on the back. I had to run round and pull her out as the keys were in it and the engine was running because I wanted the aircon on. She kicked me so hard on my L arm (today its all bruised and swollen) she then ran off. The cops didn't turn up (as per usual) so can't do anything about it. I'm getting far too old for this crap let me tell you!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 17th 2013 at 2:15 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Naishy is an unknown quantity at this point

Beware the, "oh maybe it's not so bad here after all" that can also follow this sense of relief Going through it right now. I'm not fooled though. I am taking the view that I will enjoy my last few years to the fullest - why not? - but I know where I ultimately belong. Wishing you a swift return homeward
Hi Perthomeschool, thanks for the advice! I'll watch out for that "maybe it's not so bad here after all," trick. I don't find it so bad here anyway but I know what's there is better. I am under no illusions that there will be moments after the initial "honeymoon," returned period is over that I am going to raise the question, "what am I doing here?" I'm sure this will eventually pass. I always said that I would return "Home," one day 15 or 20 years form when I got over here in '98 for when my parents started to get older & could use a hand. Whilst mum is still very able bodied & enjoys her life to the fullest. I have figured that if I leave it another 5years house prices will be out of reach again & I'll be that much older. I have several job offers to go back to now but would like to find a job in the Somerset area of the country. Honestly I cannot get back there soon enough!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Yes indeed lol! I know I still want to travel and will probably do some contract work overseas but I want to base myself in the UK.

If I do end up working in the UK on road again my mortgage is so low now that I can afford to go part time, just 2 x 12 hour shifts per week. I love my job but I'm so over the aggro that goes with it, would be nice to cut back on my hours.

Last night I went out to a drunk, vomiting 19 year old and all her irritating drunk friends. Had to put her on the stretcher (could not stand) and they were all crying and saying they wanted to come with her but I said no so they started yelling at me. One drunk girl climbed in the front drivers seat while I was loading the pt on the back. I had to run round and pull her out as the keys were in it and the engine was running because I wanted the aircon on. She kicked me so hard on my L arm and today its all bruised and swollen she then ran off. The cops didn't turn up (as per usual) so can't do anything about it. I'm getting far too old for this crap let me tell you!
Oh Wow! that kind of thing is I'm sure even more the reason you want out! You're trying to help people & that's what you get for your efforts.
Regards your small mortgage, reduced hours of work & overseas work you sound like you have a plan! Excellent & I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to pull it off.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:21 pm
Practical Paramedic

Oh Wow! that kind of thing is I'm sure even more the reason you want out! You're trying to help people & that's what you get for your efforts.
Regards your small mortgage, reduced hours of work & overseas work you sound like you have a plan! Excellent & I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to pull it off.
Cheers! Yes I was planning for ages not to mention saving like mad! I've just paid out for my flight, shipping and a brilliant course which will allow me to work offshore/remote but not much change left from $10,000

Like I've said in earlier posts I would go today if I could but I need to save a bit more for a nice financial cushion to go home with. Still 14 weeks today and counting

Good luck with your planning too and that was good advice given re the 'not so bad here' trap - nearly fell for that one myself recently lol!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Cheers! Yes I was planning for ages not to mention saving like mad! I've just paid out for my flight, shipping and a brilliant course which will allow me to work offshore/remote but not much change left from $10,000

Like I've said in earlier posts I would go today if I could but I need to save a bit more for a nice financial cushion to go home with. Still 14 weeks today and counting

Good luck with your planning too and that was good advice given re the 'not so bad here' trap - nearly fell for that one myself recently lol!
Hi MissBetty, yeah, it's such a shame that the world requires that we need that dreaded evil they call money. I'm sure the place would be a much more pleasant place without it!
My plan is to get out asap, go for 6 months make sure its what I want. (though I am 110% certain it is!) I will rent my house here to a friend for that period just so I have someone in it, these junk wooden houses here get old really quickly down here in the humid south if there's no movement going through them. Return here with mum for her one last visit to Georgia, & ship my stuff back. I regard myself as fortunate in that I can do this & have a job to slip straight into especially in these tough economic times. Don't worry regards the "trick," I've made the decision & I know it's the right one. It comes from my head & my heart, it's time. Though I take heed from y'alls advice. Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MissBetty, yeah, it's such a shame that the world requires that we need that dreaded evil they call money. I'm sure the place would be a much more pleasant place without it!
My plan is to get out asap, go for 6 months make sure its what I want. (though I am 110% certain it is!) I will rent my house here to a friend for that period just so I have someone in it, these junk wooden houses here get old really quickly down here in the humid south if there's no movement going through them. Return here with mum for her one last visit to Georgia, & ship my stuff back. I regard myself as fortunate in that I can do this & have a job to slip straight into especially in these tough economic times. Don't worry regards the "trick," I've made the decision & I know it's the right one. It comes from my head & my heart, it's time. Though I take heed from y'alls advice. Thanks

Good for you!!!

How ever did you manage to get a job there before you move over to the UK?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by windsong
Good for you!!!

How ever did you manage to get a job there before you move over to the UK?
Hi Windsong, Thanks. There are a couple of places I've worked before. Each time they've said whenever you need a job, we're here. They are either desperate for people or I have done a good job in the past! I'd prefer to think the latter! Either way it's a blessing to be able to slip right in, especially when finding jobs are as hard as they are at the moment. In my line of business it would mean moving over here but over there I can use my familiar base to earn money & in the meantime try & find something closer to where I'd like to live. That's my theory & hope it works out like that when I get there! lol I can certainly empathise with you also regards the loneliness. It gets pretty lonely here in the woods sometimes & even after 15 years when you go anywhere & its the same questions, where are you from? blah, blah, blah! in general though I do find the "Rednecks," a happy bunch who would seemingly do anything for you & I do have some very good "Southern," friends who are truly upset that I've made the decision to return to Blighty. I know when fellow Brits & French have come over here & their spouse couldn't work it has been difficult for them. I think the most important & effective thing was to keep themselves occupied with something out in the community busying their brains with something so as not to get time to dwell. This isn't always possible I know & eventually the loneliness would set back in. When are you heading/moving back to Blighty? Try & keep yourself busy & positive. It seems to work for me.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

In spite of its many attractions, Hastings is not a one-way street of good news, hence the moderate rental prices in what has typically, as in Margate and Thanet, become known as a sort of HQ for folks on benefits:

From Ft article:

March 6, 2012 7:22 pm
Why the Pembury road matters more than the Olympics

By John Kay
We need to shift the emphasis away from grand projects:

"Hastings is the most depressed of England’s south-coast resorts. Government regeneration programmes have tried to revive the town, with limited success: poor road and rail* connections to London remain a critical problem."

*typical London run is 1hr 43mins which is at the reaches of commutable and it is actually quicker to go to Ashford and change onto the High Speed Line to St Pancras. As discussed, not being commutable can be a good thing but when close to London, this has its trade-offs in being desirable for possibly less desirable neighbours.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 17th 2013 at 5:50 pm. Reason: typical London run.........
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Windsong, Thanks. There are a couple of places I've worked before. Each time they've said whenever you need a job, we're here. They are either desperate for people or I have done a good job in the past! I'd prefer to think the latter! Either way it's a blessing to be able to slip right in, especially when finding jobs are as hard as they are at the moment. In my line of business it would mean moving over here but over there I can use my familiar base to earn money & in the meantime try & find something closer to where I'd like to live. That's my theory & hope it works out like that when I get there! lol I can certainly empathise with you also regards the loneliness. It gets pretty lonely here in the woods sometimes & even after 15 years when you go anywhere & its the same questions, where are you from? blah, blah, blah! in general though I do find the "Rednecks," a happy bunch who would seemingly do anything for you & I do have some very good "Southern," friends who are truly upset that I've made the decision to return to Blighty. I know when fellow Brits & French have come over here & their spouse couldn't work it has been difficult for them. I think the most important & effective thing was to keep themselves occupied with something out in the community busying their brains with something so as not to get time to dwell. This isn't always possible I know & eventually the loneliness would set back in. When are you heading/moving back to Blighty? Try & keep yourself busy & positive. It seems to work for me.
HI Haishy

I wish I had a date for the move back but I don't. I am unfortunately fighting unemployment in the midwest - ugh! Until I get a job so I can save to go home, my plans are halted. I will be fending for myself there so I have to save quite a bit.

I have also started a business that is only now getting off the ground but within a year, it "will" make a lot of money. Unfortunately, the stress of unemployment is getting in the way of my working on the business because I am so stressed. Fortunately, my business partner is very understanding about this. I need a job so I can relax enough to work on the business. Sigh! It is also a business I can do in retirement for extra income (probably the majority of my income because we can make a good deal of money in this business.)

Sometimes it is hard to remain positive about all this, but I try. Direct hire jobs are hard to find and contract jobs have a gap of about 3 months in between, thereby reducing my annual income greatly. I am presently in a 3-month gap, at least I hope it is no longer than that.

Of course, I could work on the business now - if I could overcome the anxiety - and begin to make money in spite of being unemployed but the trouble with that is it will take a year to begin to make money and in the meantime, I end up on the streets - worse case scenario! Also, income from any new contracts wouldn't arrive until 3-6 months after signing.

If the business is successful - and it should be - I won't need a job back in the UK. I will have my own business, although I don't know how that positions me as regards residency. I suppose I would have to prove past income from the business for six months or so - just a guess.

But let's stay positive and hope I find a job.

Footnote: I ought to add this info since I wrote a year ago about starting a business. We have already started it - one year ago - but didn't want to charge for the services until we were able to prove ourselves and gathered quite a bank of potential paying clients which we have now done - with many more asking for our services. So, you see, we have not been idle during the last year. The next step is to clearly define on our web site (in the process) of what we will charge for which service. In the last year, we have established a reputation and an image - very important.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 17th 2013 at 6:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.