Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old May 24th 2013, 8:25 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
So excited and happy for you! Your future is so bright you gotta wear shades lol!

Which airline are you flying with? Do put your flight details on the 'Flight tracker' thread and we can cheer you on!
Thanks very much, its been a long journey but I got there in the end!! I fly on Monday via Abu Dhabi with Etihad, I'll pop details up before I go
Old May 25th 2013, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thanks very much, its been a long journey but I got there in the end!! I fly on Monday via Abu Dhabi with Etihad, I'll pop details up before I go
...don't look back, just look ahead. Life is about to begin again xx

Safe travels girly
Old May 26th 2013, 5:00 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

I'm hoping you have lots of luck and sending you good wishes for your next adventure Miss Betty! Thanks for the laughs and thrills you've given everybody along the way. And so the next life era begins....
Don't look back in anger at the arseh..es you had to deal with to get where you are now- they served their purpose of helping you to know where you want to be!
Look out Hastings, she's on her way!
Old May 26th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
I'm hoping you have lots of luck and sending you good wishes for your next adventure Miss Betty! Thanks for the laughs and thrills you've given everybody along the way. And so the next life era begins....
Don't look back in anger at the arseh..es you had to deal with to get where you are now- they served their purpose of helping you to know where you want to be!
YES SHE IS !!
Old May 26th 2013, 11:09 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
Lol! Thanks very much for the good wishes Happy bunny now I have left work, big smiles and onwards and upwards!
Old May 26th 2013, 11:10 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
...don't look back, just look ahead. Life is about to begin again xx

Safe travels girly
Thanks very much, lots planned and very excited!!!!
Old May 26th 2013, 11:10 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by curleytops
YES SHE IS !!
Lol! One more sleep!!!!!
Old May 26th 2013, 11:15 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have alerted DCI Foyle to Miss Betty's imminent arrival. He will try to maintain law and order during such a festive occasion and extra bunting, tea and cakes will be on hand.

Can't believe your big day is here. Safe journey
Old May 26th 2013, 11:19 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by lf1
I have alerted DCI Foyle to Miss Betty's imminent arrival. He will try to maintain law and order during such a festive occasion and extra bunting, tea and cakes will be on hand.

Can't believe your big day is here. Safe journey
Ha ha!!!! Looking forward to fish and chips from the 'Blue Dolphin' on Tues night

Can't believe it either but finally I am done
Old May 26th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! One more sleep!!!!!
So this time tomorrow you will be on the plane? COOL!
Old May 26th 2013, 12:01 pm
Practical Paramedic

Ok so finally the time is here, I'm sitting in a hotel room watching the lights twinkling on the harbour on my last night in the land of Oz. I shall finish as I started - rambling!

Lots of questions going round in my head tonight, finally the big day is here and I'm very excited but 5 years ago I never dreamed I would want to return to the UK. I actually don't think most people - myself included - really think about what such a massive upheaval moving overseas will be.

I came here so excited, returning to the country that I love, where I grew up to start a new life, a new job full of hope. I've met many amazing people here, it took time but now I have a close knit circle of friends that I treasure and wouldn't be without however I've also been stunned by how awful people can be.

I can honestly say that in my 46 years on this earth, traveling widely and living in different countries I have never been treated so shabbily as I have here in the workplace. The bullying in the Australian workplace is just plain horrific, I love what I do but I have never been so miserable at work in my life. I have, of course, fought back, told people to p*** off and kept myself to myself but really it has taken its toll.

Am I still the same person I ask myself? I don't know. I'm a lot tougher now, more resiliant but also far more reserved. Whereas before I was always so friendly to people now I take a step back and take my time 'sussing' people out whereas before I would just be more trusting, the trust now has gone. I am suspicious of strangers and now hesitate before offering a helping hand, I'm so tired of being ****** over by people!

I do actually appreciate my own country more now, more than I ever thought possible. The general friendliness of British people and cheerfulness that I always took for granted before is a welcome change to here, having family just round the corner and friends who have been there for years also. Feeling like you belong is so damn underrated also having so much more freedom at work and also the good old NHS/Tescos/cheap dentist/cheap cars/cheap travel - the list is endless really!

Do I regret coming here? Well no, you know what they say if you don't go you won't know. I don't want to live a life full of what ifs, it was an adventure and not all bad, a lot of positives came out of it. I made some brilliant friends, had some incredible experiences, I'm stronger and I am wiser - a lot wiser actually!

The worst thing about being here? 100% the depression and weight gain - totally horrible, totally sucked. I never knew what it was like to cry ALL DAY LONG, not to want to get out of bed, to sit around in pj's for days at a time feeling listless/exhausted, to cry in the shower before starting every day then having to put on a brave face all day when I felt like I was just dying inside. Counseling helped a great deal, drinking didn't, last Xmas was my lowest point sitting alone at work eating a microwave dinner watching bad telly and just feeling so empty and lost. Horrible, just horrible and made me think how lucky I was that I had a choice, I could go home - some people don't and if I ever come across someone in that same boat in the UK I shall drag them round my house for Xmas dinner, Baileys and a M&S pudding!!!!

I have enough money saved for a wee car and to live on for a few months but I will have some paying out to do. I'm not that worried about money but I still haven't been paid my final wage or paid out my leave yet. I'm hoping the service won't mess me around, it would be nice to have a final figure so I can make some plans and make a budget, but won't know til next week so no dramas there - sigh!

Well thanks everyone for your support and for all the laughs along the way, you've made my journey a whole lot easier and for that I will be eternally grateful. Anyone reading this who is not quite there yet hang on in there, its always darkest before the dawn, the last few weeks will drag but you will get there in the end!!! Just make a plan, have a goal and bear in mind it will be stressful and you will make many changes but what will be will be.

Well my bed is calling me so I'll say goodnight to you all, the long journey begins tomorrow and I'm pooped just thinking about it lol lol!!!! See you all back in Blighty, its good night from me - over and out xx

Last edited by MissBetty; May 26th 2013 at 12:07 pm.
Old May 26th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so finally the time is here, I'm sitting in a hotel room watching the lights twinkling on the harbour on my last night in the land of Oz. I shall finish as I started - rambling!

Lots of questions going round in my head tonight, finally the big day is here and I'm very excited but 5 years ago I never dreamed I would want to return to the UK. I actually don't think most people - myself included - really think about what such a massive upheaval moving overseas will be.

I came here so excited, returning to the country that I love, where I grew up to start a new life, a new job full of hope. I've met many amazing people here, it took time but now I have a close knit circle of friends that I treasure and wouldn't be without however I've also been stunned by how awful people can be.

I can honestly say that in my 46 years on this earth, traveling widely and living in different countries I have never been treated so shabbily as I have here in the workplace. The bullying in the Australian workplace is just plain horrific, I love what I do but I have never been so miserable at work in my life. I have, of course, fought back, told people to p*** off and kept myself to myself but really it has taken its toll.

Am I still the same person I ask myself? I don't know. I'm a lot tougher now, more resiliant but also far more reserved. Whereas before I was always so friendly to people now I take a step back and take my time 'sussing' people out whereas before I would just be more trusting, the trust now has gone. I am suspicious of strangers and now hesitate before offering a helping hand, I'm so tired of being ****** over by people!

I do actually appreciate my own country more now, more than I ever thought possible. The general friendliness of British people and cheerfulness that I always took for granted before is a welcome change to here, having family just round the corner and friends who have been there for years also. Feeling like you belong is so damn underrated also having so much more freedom at work and also the good old NHS/Tescos/cheap dentist/cheap cars/cheap travel - the list is endless really!

Do I regret coming here? Well no, you know what they say if you don't go you won't know. I don't want to live a life full of what ifs, it was an adventure and not all bad, a lot of positives came out of it. I made some brilliant friends, had some incredible experiences, I'm stronger and I am wiser - a lot wiser actually!

The worst thing about being here? 100% the depression and weight gain - totally horrible, totally sucked. I never knew what it was like to cry ALL DAY LONG, not to want to get out of bed, to sit around in pj's for days at a time feeling listless/exhausted, to cry in the shower before starting every day then having to put on a brave face all day when I felt like I was just dying inside. Counseling helped a great deal, drinking didn't, last Xmas was my lowest point sitting alone at work eating a microwave dinner watching bad telly and just feeling so empty and lost. Horrible, just horrible and made me think how lucky I was that I had a choice, I could go home - some people don't and if I ever come across someone in that same boat in the UK I shall drag them round my house for Xmas dinner, Baileys and a M&S pudding!!!!

I have enough money saved for a wee car and to live on for a few months but I will have some paying out to do. I'm not that worried about money but I still haven't been paid my final wage or paid out my leave yet. I'm hoping the service won't mess me around, it would be nice to have a final figure so I can make some plans and make a budget, but won't know til next week so no dramas there - sigh!

Well thanks everyone for your support and for all the laughs along the way, you've made my journey a whole lot easier and for that I will be eternally grateful. Anyone reading this who is not quite there yet hang on in there, its always darkest before the dawn, the last few weeks will drag but you will get there in the end!!! Just make a plan, have a goal and bear in mind it will be stressful and you will make many changes but what will be will be.

Well my bed is calling me so I'll say goodnight to you all, the long journey begins tomorrow and I'm pooped just thinking about it lol lol!!!! See you all back in Blighty, its good night from me - over and out xx
Miss Betty, I for one have been cheered by this troppo thread. Your brilliant sense of humour has brightened many a day, and I'm glad that you also found support and comfort from all of us. It's been a long, hard 5 years for you - but now you are on your way! I wish you a wonderful flight, as your soar into the sky like a phoenix reborn

Let's keep this thread going so others that come along later can have a good laugh too. We stragglers here do so need a good laugh So check in whenever you can and let us know how you are doing. xx

Last edited by Perth; May 26th 2013 at 12:47 pm.
Old May 26th 2013, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

treasuredr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Miss Betty,

Wishing you a smooth and peaceful journey home. Best of luck for the interviews you have lined up - you'll ace them and as a previous poster said, you'll more than likely be able to pick and choose. A great future lies ahead

I have been inspired by your amazing attitude through all the trials and tribulations - keep smiling and keep in touch with all of us, your virtual friends!!
Old May 26th 2013, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Miss B, so much of what you wrote could have been me except I'm 64 not 46! The weight gain, the crying in the shower, the bullying and all! Just to give you hope - I've shed all (yes ALL) the 50kg I had put on and I sing in the shower!

Have a fab trip! You'll probably fly within eyeshot of me as I'm having a fab few days in Kent so you should see me waving! This is just the beginning!
Old May 27th 2013, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

And she's off, flying over the Never Never of outback Queensland! Not even a place name in sight on Flight radar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.