ATM's.......

Old Aug 16th 2002, 5:02 pm
Tmoliver

Default Re: ATM's.......

[email protected] (amp_spamfree) iterated.....

> Mika <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> amp_spamfree schrieb:
    >> >
    >> > TMOliver <olive(DEL)@calpha.com> wrote in message
    >> > news:<[email protected] 3>...
    >> > > [email protected] (amp_spamfree) iterated.....
    >> > >
    >> > > Austin, a center of German immigration? Horseshit.
    >> >
    >> > You have no concept - but here's a history lesson - http://hostville.com/hoelscher/gertex.htm
    >> >
    >> Umm, Austin isn't in Austin County, it's in Travis.
    >> Mika
    > Bastrop, Travis, Williamson, Lee, Gonzales, Fayette, Caldwell counties, among
    > others, all within 100 miles of Austin, were all heavily populated by German
    > immigrants in the mid-1800's. That puts Austin as the center of German immigration
    > - since I suspect most people know where the capital of the State is, it makes it
    > much easier than suggesting that . If I had said Bellville or
    > If you want specifics for the City of Austin, here's the 10K walk -
    > http://www.utexas.edu/d-
    > epts/german/volksmarsch.html

> If you are still unsure, call the German-Texan Heritage Society,(512) 482-0927
    > And if you are still having problems, here is an account of how New Braunfels was
    > settled:
    > http://www.hal-pc.-
    > org/~dcrane/txgenweb/vereinproject.htm

> And you still can't get an authentic German weinerschnitzel.

....and both New Braunfels (in Comal County) and Fredericksburg (in Gillespie County)
were "centers of German Immigration" before Austin was much more than a single mud
Congress Avenue with the Capitol at one end. Even san Antonio with its King William
District hasa better claim on being a center of German immigration. The Brazos
Valley Counties like Austin (Bellville, Sealy, etc.) have a far more visible German
heritage than does Austin, while Fredericksburg "looks" more German. Again, except
for Scholzgarten and the music society next door, very little german is to be found
in Austin, more often considered the "center of immigration" for ScotsIrish
politicians and hangers on.

I guess you might categorize the center for Czech or Moravian immigration as Austin
(if a long belt has a center, maybe Austin is the buckle), a band that runs from
Ennis down thru West to Temple and back down the Brazos and Colorado Vallies, for
they like the Germans earlier largely arrived with agriculture and cheap available
land in mind (although the largest number of Texans of Czech and Moravian descent now
live in Harris County).

The then non-existent community of Austin was chosen to be the capital of the
Republic because it was near the geographical "center" of what the "framers" (of the
RoT) projected to be the a population largely pursuing farming and livestock
raising(with supporting retail and professional services - but no banks in the
original Constitution, such was the local distrust of bankers). Playing geographic
games, one could say that from 1840 up to 1950 or so, adjusted for numbers, Austin
was the center of immigration for everybody that showed up in the Republic/State,
from Buda's Hungarians to Panna Maria's Poles to Castroville's Alsatians to Dogtown's
(now San Angelo) Black Buffalo Soldiers' dependents to Mart's Irish railroad workers
to Midland's Oil and gas professionals to Odessa's roughnecks and toolpushers and the
biggest migration of all, the continuing flow from Mexico which moved from trickle to
flood after the Mexican Revolution's false and empty promises.

By your interpretation, about the only Texans for which Austin is not the "center of
immigration" are the folks who forted up in El Paso after the long walk down from
Santa Fe and Taos after the big rebellion and the Jornada del Muerto, or San
Antonio's Cape Verdeans and the troops from Parral. Among your "centered in Austin"
crew you ought to include the migratory Comanche, immigrants from the Mountains of
Colorade by way of a century or so of horse stealing, buffalo hunting up on the
Llano Eastacado and "centering" upon the Austin area in their annual depredation run
down across Central Texas as far as the Gulf, but not the Karankawa who were
"centered" on the oystershell banks which provided sustinence when nobody was
stopping by to "be" dinner.

TMO

Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:10 pm
Mika

[email protected] (Hatunen) wrote in message

> That's pure conjecture. I have my doubts; the Austrians have always had a strong
    > patriotic streak and considered the Austro-Hungarian Empire far superior to
    > Bismarck's Reich.

Time for a trip to the library. Keywords: 1871, Reichseinheit, grossdeutsche Loesung,
kleindeutsche Loesung.

>In fact, even Germany was still pretty loosely held together until Hitler forced the
    >submission of the laender to Berlin's authority.

Where did you get this? Even by usenet standards, this isn't even close to an
oversimplification, it is pure bollox. As a native of Luebeck, you'll get an ever
so slight nod from me though, since the GROeFAZ saw it fit to make our city part
of Prussia.

While at the library, check for the referenda that were proposed after the 'Great
War'. And which ones didn't happen, because the Versailles powers knew they would not
go their way.

M

Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:23 pm
Mika

devil <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mika wrote:
    > > Yeah, so what? A referendum in 1918 would have had the same result. Minus Adolf.
    > So what? Adolf.

Exactly. Might never have happened. Redrawing borders arbitrarily and not bothering
to ask the people who live there whether they would actually like to live within
those borders doesn't usually work.

To take this a bit away from Adolf (Godwin is about 3 posts away otherwise) look at
Tibet, Kashmir, Yugoslavia, Czech Rep/Slovakia, etc.

And considering the action that we'll see in Iraq later this year: does the US
already know how redraw those borders? Quite impossible to please both the Kurds and
the Turks.

m

Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:33 pm
Hatunen

On 16 Aug 2002 16:10:32 -0700, [email protected] (Mika) wrote:

>[email protected] (Hatunen) wrote in message
    >> That's pure conjecture. I have my doubts; the Austrians have always had a strong
    >> patriotic streak and considered the Austro-Hungarian Empire far superior to
    >> Bismarck's Reich.
    >Time for a trip to the library. Keywords: 1871, Reichseinheit, grossdeutsche
    >Loesung, kleindeutsche Loesung.
    >>In fact, even Germany was still pretty loosely held together until Hitler forced
    >>the submission of the laender to Berlin's authority.
    >Where did you get this? Even by usenet standards, this isn't even close to an
    >oversimplification, it is pure bollox. As a native of Luebeck, you'll get an ever
    >so slight nod from me though, since the GROeFAZ saw it fit to make our city part
    >of Prussia.

Is it your position then that even during the Weimar Republic Bacaria and Prussia had
no autonomy whatsoever?

************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
intentional copyright traps ******

Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:55 pm
Mika

devil <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mika wrote:
    > > [email protected] (amp_spamfree) wrote in message > > If you know so much
    > > about it, how come you cannot spell it correctly? Hell, why not just call it
    > > cotoletta milanese?
    > Wouldn't that be missplelled by any chance?
    > :-)

Fine, I'll hand you an 'alla' because you're such a nice guy.

m

Old Aug 17th 2002, 12:10 am
Mika

[email protected] (amp_spamfree) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Mika <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > amp_spamfree schrieb:
    > > >
    > It was a wonderful example of the depth and richness of German immigration in
    > "central" Texas.

No problem, I was just pointing out that the Austin in your link did not refer to the
city of the same name.

> Then what's your problem in recognizing the immigration of Germans in Texas and
    > acknowledging the fact that Austin is a geographic center (as well as cultural
    > center) for this immigration?

Never had a problem with that, and never disputed that. Got family there myself, BTW.

> Wurstfest in New Braunfels is a somewhat 'interesting' affair.
    > Salsaschnitzel ... di you try it?

Don't think so. What did I miss?

> >What I found quite strange though, was that there is a restaurant chain down
    > >there called *Der* Wienerschnitzel.
    > which serves hot dogs - problem solved - don't get so damned literal.

They do? Never went inside, so I'll trust you on this one. Should have named it "Das
Weinerhund" then.

Mika

Old Aug 17th 2002, 12:26 am
Mika

[email protected] (amp_spamfree) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > [email protected] (Hatunen) wrote in message

> And here it is - the ultimate "Bayerische" Schweinschnitzel Wiener Art" - not the
    > dried out veal, but real pork. Now that is authentic.

Objection Yeronner. If a restaurant has Wienerschnitzel on their menu, the
implication is that it is veal, and that's no different in Bavaria. If it isn't veal,
they are required 'by law' to state that it is "Wienerschnitzel vom Schwein". Or even
"Wienerschnitzel von der Pute", in which case there's no chance in hell that I'll
order it. Blame it on the BSE scare. Even the Turks sell turkey doener these days
(10% turkey, 90% sawdust).

M

Old Aug 17th 2002, 12:49 am
Hatunen

On 16 Aug 2002 17:26:53 -0700, [email protected] (Mika) wrote:

>[email protected] (amp_spamfree) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected] .com>...
    >> [email protected] (Hatunen) wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >> And here it is - the ultimate "Bayerische" Schweinschnitzel Wiener Art" - not the
    >> dried out veal, but real pork. Now that is authentic.

Um. I didn't say that. Please mind your quotes.

************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
intentional copyright traps ******

Old Aug 17th 2002, 1:50 am
Devil

VGC wrote:
    > I'm sorry if what I tried to explain was not clear...as far as your definitions, I
    > think it's sad that the confusion has reached such degrees, its no wonder then, in
    > any case, I would suggest you go to Brazil and as them if they are Hispanic. My
    > dictionary (Larousse, a Spanish dictionary and of the Real Academia (which is the
    > most respected in our language) says differently.

Most Brazilians would get upset. But that was not the point. The word "Hispanic" is
chiefly used in the US in the context of affirmative action programs. In that
context, Brazilians would qualify. Like anyone else, if the feel like it, that is.

By virtue of being born in Brazil, even they were residents in the US my kids would
qualify, even though I originally was born somewhere in europe and my wife
somewhere in Asia.

Remember the case of that firefighter who one day decided he was black? Only reason
it didn't stick was that in a previous run he had declared himself white. This is
the only way the US has found to avoid Hitler's race purity lythmus test.

(And incidentally, if you are going to put race-conscious programs in place, I don't
know of any better way, no matter how poor this way is.)

Old Aug 17th 2002, 4:12 am
Evelyn Vogt Gamble

Mika wrote:
    > And considering the action that we'll see in Iraq later this year: does the US
    > already know how redraw those borders? Quite impossible to please both the Kurds
    > and the Turks.

I hope it's not as certain as you make it sound, but I'm afraid you may be right!
(I'd be a lot more sanguine about the neccessity - and the outcome - if I thought we
had a president who knew what the hell he was doing.)

> m

Old Aug 17th 2002, 4:18 am
Evelyn Vogt Gamble

Mika wrote:
    > > >What I found quite strange though, was that there is a restaurant chain down
    > > >there called *Der* Wienerschnitzel.
    > >
    > > which serves hot dogs - problem solved - don't get so damned literal.
    > They do? Never went inside, so I'll trust you on this one. Should have named it
    > "Das Weinerhund" then.

You're assuming the founders of the (nationwide) chain spoke German! (Truth to tell,
they probably wouldn't know genuine "Wienerschnitzel" if it up and bit them.)

> Mika

Old Aug 17th 2002, 2:11 pm
Stephen Gallagher

Default Re: Presidential qualifications? OT

Frank Matthews <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Gee what happens if you have two US citizen parents but are not yourself eligible
    > for citizenship because they haven't lived for long enough in the US and you
    > weren't born here.

When you have two US citizen parents, then they are only required to have lived
in the US at some time in the past. There is no defined length of residence
that is required when both parents are US citizens, only when just one parent is
a US citizen.

The child, in this case, would be a US citizen from birth, and most experts agree
that the child would be eligible to serve as president.

But, if there were two US citizen parents who had never lived in the US, and they had
a child outside the US, then that child would not be a US citizen and would not be
eligible to be president.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 8:03 pm
Mika

"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mika wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > And considering the action that we'll see in Iraq later this year: does the US
    > > already know how redraw those borders? Quite impossible to please both the Kurds
    > > and the Turks.
    > I hope it's not as certain as you make it sound, but I'm afraid you may be right!
    > (I'd be a lot more sanguine about the neccessity - and the outcome - if I thought
    > we had a president who knew what the hell he was doing.)

Whatever Shrub decides to do, I just hope there's some sort of idea of what's going
to happen once SH is deposed of. Just sitting on the oil wells and installing another
puppet dictator isn't going to work.

Hmm, one less country we'll be able to travel to without pissing off Vitaly.

M

Old Aug 17th 2002, 9:06 pm
Mika

[email protected] (amp_spamfree) wrote in message >
    > And cotoletta milanese isn't wienerschnitzel - it may be breaded veal, but it's
    > fried in butter as opposed to lard and isn't dredged in flour first. I'd say that
    > makes for a serious distinction.
    > Similar, sure - but then again, there's not much distance between the two
    > countries.

Oh, didn't know that. Always assumed they were the same. Thanks for pointing that
out.

Mika

Old Aug 17th 2002, 9:20 pm
The Oik

"Mika" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > [email protected] (amp_spamfree) wrote in message >
    > > And cotoletta milanese isn't wienerschnitzel - it may be breaded veal, but it's
    > > fried in butter as opposed to lard and isn't dredged in flour first. I'd say
    > > that makes for a serious distinction.
    > >
    > > Similar, sure - but then again, there's not much distance between the two
    > > countries.
    > Oh, didn't know that. Always assumed they were the same. Thanks for pointing
    > that out.
obviously said by people who have never driven from Wien to Milano... not a
nice trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.