Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by wellinever
Note....unable to make any contact with IMT at all, all websites for branches now `under construction`..........never get a reply from hone call or jibberish and left hanging not knowing what is going on, until after 5 mins pphone goes dead, same at SEF main phones.......opless
It's only the English IMT pages that are under construction, they have been so for more years than I can remember, use the native Portuguese pages and they all work fine.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

so exactly what is the point of an international driving permit?
Funds for the government? It really is pointless.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Do I understand it correctly that once you have made the application and paid and sent your driving licence to IMT, with no clue as to when you will receive the actual licence, that with the document received in return that that only permits you to drive in Portugal?
And therefore does not cover you to drive in UK?
If correct, apart from not returning to UK until received, is there a way around it?
Temp licence only for use in Portugal. I only needed mine for less than 2 weeks as I received the actual card licence by post.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geronimal
Temp licence only for use in Portugal. I only needed mine for less than 2 weeks as I received the actual card licence by post.
How did you get so lucky? My wife and I have been waiting nearly 5 months for our plastic licences to arrive and so have many others.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

And this is the problem for those like me that want/need to go back to the UK where you need to be able to drive your own car parked up there, fully insured, having taken out residency and therefore as in my case have until end March to make the exchange. Yes I could start the process now but then am in limbo until I receive a Portuguese licence, and who knows when that might turn up.....and in the meantime cannot drive in any other country....added to covid conditions in both countries being dire.
Crazy rules drive me mad
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Pre-Brixit I considered the IDP as a belt and braces thing, especially when driving in Far East. But in Europe too. As we know from our encounters with bureaucracy, one official/cop can interpret the rules differently from another. (And bear in mind that for anyone driving in Spain, a different IDP is required than for most other EU countries: the 1949 version. If you go to a post office for the IDP in the UK, they should ask if you intend to drive in Spain)
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

On a more enlightened note, just received a Cert of Cornformity from Vauxhall, for my UK motor, in case I decide to bring the superb car for retirement to Portugal.
Supplied free of charge and done with a smile.........big up Vauxhall Motors
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by campos
Pre-Brixit I considered the IDP as a belt and braces thing, especially when driving in Far East. But in Europe too. As we know from our encounters with bureaucracy, one official/cop can interpret the rules differently from another. (And bear in mind that for anyone driving in Spain, a different IDP is required than for most other EU countries: the 1949 version. If you go to a post office for the IDP in the UK, they should ask if you intend to drive in Spain)
Yes indeed, I have the IDP for Portugal, but understand that if I decide to ferry the car to Spain for driving into Portugal then I will need the other IDP, but only takes 10 mins at the post office in the UK and a fiver.
And I guess a green card as well now
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BillBullock
How did you get so lucky? My wife and I have been waiting nearly 5 months for our plastic licences to arrive and so have many others.
I applied 1st Oct the day the process went online and had it all completed in less than 8 weeks. I was expecting a nightmare having read the tales of others but it was a breeze. So, yes, very lucky indeed. This was Faro btw.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geronimal
I applied 1st Oct the day the process went online and had it all completed in less than 8 weeks. I was expecting a nightmare having read the tales of others but it was a breeze. So, yes, very lucky indeed. This was Faro btw.
We applied on 1 Aug 20 before the online process had been invented. We had appointments at IMT Faro and handed over everything they asked for, including Form D737 from the DVLA which they said they didn't need. How can the same office staff perform so differently? I can guess but I don't understand the system. I have emailed them but get no reply.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Also applied (Faro) mid October. I've heard nothing so far.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

When one has exchanged a UK licence for a PT one and then wishes to drive back in the UK- a rental or family car - what will be necessary - just an IDP issued from here in Portugal?
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 11:11 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

When one has exchanged a UK licence for a PT one and then wishes to drive back in the UK- a rental or family car - what will be necessary - just an IDP issued from here in Portugal?
Driving in the UK

If you have a non-UK licence

Visitors with a non-UK driving licence can drive in the UK. You do not need an international driving permit (IDP).
Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

Presumably the same applies to people who are not citizens but are residents and licence-holders of those countries.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

Presumably the same applies to people who are not citizens but are residents and licence-holders of those countries.
cheers, Eric. That .gov page evaded me
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 12:37 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

cheers, Eric. That .gov page evaded me
The more obvious ones don't seem to have caught up yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.