British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/exchanging-driving-licence-where-when-make-appointment-935048/)

suiko Sep 28th 2020 1:38 pm

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

hello again, all

Well, I'm here now, and enjoying it, though haven't actually done any bureaucratic stuff yet... hopefully the atestado tomorrow or Wednesday, if I can persuade my landlords to come along ;) Then appointment at SF in Faro next week to try to sort out my convoluted NIF issue, and after that the big one (establishing residency) in mid October. Well, that's the plan...

I want to exchange my UK licence as soon as possible. I know I can't do this until I have residency, but is it worth emailing for an appointment for after mid October? Do individual IMT offices have their own emails?

Wondering whether it might be better to go for Beja, as I've read a lot about long delays and unresponsiveness in Faro (my nearest office).

Loafing Along Sep 28th 2020 9:05 pm

Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by suiko (Post 12915375)
hello again, all

Well, I'm here now, and enjoying it, though haven't actually done any bureaucratic stuff yet... hopefully the atestado tomorrow or Wednesday, if I can persuade my landlords to come along ;) Then appointment at SF in Faro next week to try to sort out my convoluted NIF issue, and after that the big one (establishing residency) in mid October. Well, that's the plan...

I want to exchange my UK licence as soon as possible. I know I can't do this until I have residency, but is it worth emailing for an appointment for after mid October? Do individual IMT offices have their own emails?

Wondering whether it might be better to go for Beja, as I've read a lot about long delays and unresponsiveness in Faro (my nearest office).

Try calling them - see details on link : Contactos IMT

Sending email involves form filling first

suiko Sep 29th 2020 9:47 am

Thanks. So best to resend the email, with the filled-in form attached?

suiko Sep 29th 2020 12:46 pm

Of the options, choose "Troca de Carta Estrangeira", I presume?

I get the impression it's pointless choosing the Faro office?

As it seemingly has to be signed, do I need to print it and then fax it? Or send a scanned copy?

Loafing Along Sep 29th 2020 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by suiko (Post 12915857)
Of the options, choose "Troca de Carta Estrangeira", I presume?

I get the impression it's pointless choosing the Faro office?

Several Algarve people opted to drive to Beja. Nice day out and virtually no hassle at IMT office.

suiko Sep 29th 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks - yes, will go for Beja. Do I need to print it off and sign it, and then fax or send scan?

qianh Sep 29th 2020 10:48 pm

Yes we just did it, digitally signed and emailed request form (if you use Mac, you can use preview - tools- annotation to add signature, there may be similar pdf reader for pc doing the same thing) Along with the medical certificate obtained from local driving school. Got an appointment in IMT pretty quick.

suiko Sep 30th 2020 9:19 am

Thanks! So you need to send the medical certificate in advance with the pedido de agendamentos, rather than presenting it at the interview?

qianh Sep 30th 2020 9:34 am

Originally Posted by suiko (Post 12916241)
Thanks! So you need to send the medical certificate in advance with the pedido de agendamentos, rather than presenting it at the interview?

I am not sure, if you have it, just send it along with the request form, it's always better to send more rather than less.

suiko Sep 30th 2020 9:42 am

Don't have it yet. But you can get it at a driving school?

qianh Sep 30th 2020 10:10 am

Yes, I think you can get it from GP or go to driving school, they have doctor coming to do it.

qianh Sep 30th 2020 10:11 am

And you need to register with local health centre first, you need Utente number

suiko Sep 30th 2020 2:27 pm

OK, thanks. I'll try to get that done as soon as I've had a go at the residency (probably Mon 12th).

wellinever Oct 1st 2020 4:35 pm

Anyone over 70 now needs an ECG done as part of the medical for a driving license, according to Int Health Centre in Albufeira. Total medical cost of €50

Loafing Along Oct 1st 2020 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by qianh (Post 12916257)
And you need to register with local health centre first, you need Utente number

The doctor who does the medical uploads to the official site so the Utente number is a way of tracking your data.