Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Dec 11th 2020, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by campos
Thanks .
The 72hr thing was just the response time guide they gave on the dvla site when I wrote my initial request for the Cert of Entitlement, saying that if nothing appeared in 72hrs, check spam folder etc. I hope it was just a coincidence that the email arrived, and not that the woman I spoke to was prompted to send the email as a substitute for posting the proper, stamped D737 in the post.
The DVLA form at link above which I followed is a bit confusing in that it has a 21 day expiry date and a unique generated check code for my request. The form is headed Licence Summary

Hmmm, I think I might be inclined to double-check - pain as that is - with it getting halfway into Dec already. Problem is if you give it 2 weeks to see if this woman did the right thing, you’ll be cutting it very fine if she hasn’t. Mine took over 3 weeks to arrive - that was Oct/Nov - and the 2nd one I requested - because the 1st hadn’t yet arrived - never did arrive! Do you have any possible access to a fax? Local library?
Old Dec 11th 2020, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
Hmmm, I think I might be inclined to double-check - pain as that is - with it getting halfway into Dec already. Problem is if you give it 2 weeks to see if this woman did the right thing, you’ll be cutting it very fine if she hasn’t. Mine took over 3 weeks to arrive - that was Oct/Nov - and the 2nd one I requested - because the 1st hadn’t yet arrived - never did arrive! Do you have any possible access to a fax? Local library?
this might be a good idea. I'll look into it.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

On same rules as any other non-EU country. I believe that includes needing to exchange within 90 days of becoming resident and having to take a driving test.

If someone were resident before 31st Dec 2020 and didn’t exchange before the end of the year, if that put them outside of 90 days since becoming resident, I believe they couldn’t drive legally in Portugal.
What I was meaning was, if one became resident on say 22nd December, I would assume that an application can be made to exchange within the following 60 days, if 90 days then even better. Either way without taking the practical test. (i dont think the written test is necessary either way for UK driving licence holders.)
Having looked at the test questions on the IMT site, some of which look ridiculous (like..... what is the purpose of a fairing on a motorbike?)
Old Dec 13th 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
What I was meaning was, if one became resident on say 22nd December, I would assume that an application can be made to exchange within the following 60 days, if 90 days then even better. Either way without taking the practical test. (i dont think the written test is necessary either way for UK driving licence holders.)
Having looked at the test questions on the IMT site, some of which look ridiculous (like..... what is the purpose of a fairing on a motorbike?)
Its 90 days from the date of becoming resident, so in the circumstances you describe you would have until the 22nd March 2021 to exchange. It's only those who became resident before the 2nd October 2020 (31st December less 90 days) who need to get their skates on and do it before the end of 2020.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Bomber. Knowing that that makes it easier for me to take residency before end of year. My prob was that I need to get back to UK to sort out things, and didint want to be in limbo land without a licence and insurance in the UK.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Good to get the date horizons clear.
I managed today to get DVLA to fax my Cert. Of Entitlement to me. Got that scanned along with the IMT Mod 37 - which I filled in by hand, to accommodate the inadequate file size on the pdf!). Now just waiting for my National Health number to come through so I can supply the online Dr with it.
On another point: who has seen today's Brits In Portugal video on exchanging residency certificate on SEF's Brexit portal, for a new residency permit? I thought I was sorted with my Residence Cert. Now I have to get this thing!
Old Dec 14th 2020, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Good to get the date horizons clear.
I managed today to get DVLA to fax my Cert. Of Entitlement to me. Got that scanned along with the IMT Mod 37 - which I filled in by hand, to accommodate the inadequate file size on the pdf!). Now just waiting for my National Health number to come through so I can supply the online Dr with it.
On another point: who has seen today's Brits In Portugal video on exchanging residency certificate on SEF's Brexit portal, for a new residency permit? I thought I was sorted with my Residence Cert. Now I have to get this thing!
There is no great hurry to register for the new residence certificate. The system appears to be crashing at the moment. I managed to register myself but my wife's existing certificate number is not recognised. Other people are having the same problem according to the Brits in Portugal website.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Worth a shot in the dark to try a different device, makes no sense but I couldn't register using my phone but could via an ipad.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Worth a shot in the dark to try a different device, makes no sense but I couldn't register using my phone but could via an ipad.
I even tried different browsers but with no success. The telephone helpline lady was as confused as I was that my wife could not register and suggested I email the tech dept of SEF which I did. Reply awaited.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

What is this?! Does anyone please have a link to wherever I need to go to register for the new residence card? Is there a deadline to apply? I would have to apply for my first 10 yr permanent residence by/in April 2021 - is it worth/necessary doing this exchange beforehand?
Old Dec 15th 2020, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Ignore my last reply - I’ve now seen the separate thread for this. Sorry - went into a minor panic!
Old Dec 15th 2020, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore my last reply - I’ve now seen the separate thread for this. Sorry - went into a minor panic!
Quite normal reaction the way life keeps getting more and more complicated! Keep cheerful and carry on!
Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Quite normal reaction the way life keeps getting more and more complicated! Keep cheerful and carry on!
Exatamente!

An update - that I hope is reliable - on the the “how do I prove I have a licence when I’ve sent my licence to Bragança” conundrum. I received the promised email after making the requested payment for exchange, but the only attachment was the receipt, which I suppose in itself proves the exchange process being underway but not actually the right to drive. So, I’ve just called IMT again and another lady advised me that once Bragança receive my driving licence, I will be sent the temporary licence/proof of right to drive in Portugal by email. So it seems there will be a window without a physical licence of any sort, but I suppose if this is the process now, one has to hold one’s breath - hopefully not for too long - for that period, and rely on the receipt as proof of ‘being in the system’, and perhaps the document received from IMT when I registered my licence with them. Can’t see any way around it. As I’ve said before, I thought once in transition, the cert of Entitlement was required to replace the taking of the U.K. licence, but I know trying to discuss that with IMT will be a case of “good luck with that!”.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

For anyone still to apply to exchange their UK licence, read the latest guidance notes which have been amended today.
The only copy documents you email are:
Passport
Residencia
Licence.
I guess a lot of people misinterpreted the Certificate of Authenticity thinking it was the D737. It is your Residencia.
Read it here:
http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr...t-situation-10
Old Dec 16th 2020, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it cost to register your UK licence in Potugal or to exchange the licence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.