Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Dec 16th 2020, 7:42 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by bons
Does it cost to register your UK licence in Potugal or to exchange the licence?
You won't be able to register a UK licence any more.

Once registered as resident, you'll need to start the exchange process within the allowed timescale or it becomes invalid for driving on. The exchange itself costs 30€ - you may also have to pay for a private medical, if your local health centre doesn't offer that facility. I think you'll need to be enrolled in the public health service though, in order for the medical clearance to be communicated to IMT.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike
For anyone still to apply to exchange their UK licence, read the latest guidance notes which have been amended today.
The only copy documents you email are:
Passport
Residencia
Licence.
I guess a lot of people misinterpreted the Certificate of Authenticity thinking it was the D737. It is your Residencia.
Read it here:
http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr...t-situation-10

To be honest it was like that when I applied, it was only when I received the email asking for €30 did they then ask for the certificate.
So may still be required
Old Dec 18th 2020, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You won't be able to register a UK licence any more.

Once registered as resident, you'll need to start the exchange process within the allowed timescale or it becomes invalid for driving on. The exchange itself costs 30€ - you may also have to pay for a private medical, if your local health centre doesn't offer that facility. I think you'll need to be enrolled in the public health service though, in order for the medical clearance to be communicated to IMT.
To echo this. I did the online medical last weekend. Dr said that he couldn't submit the test result to IMT yet as I didn't have a Health Service number. Today I got my Health number in an email. I have sent this to the online Doc for him only now to communicate this to IMT.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

I got my DrOnline certificate sent and today and I sent off all my docs to the IMT. Just sit tight now and hoping for the best. Next hurdle- getting this biometric registration thing sorted...
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Do I understand it correctly that once you have made the application and paid and sent your driving licence to IMT, with no clue as to when you will receive the actual licence, that with the document received in return that that only permits you to drive in Portugal?
And therefore does not cover you to drive in UK?
If correct, apart from not returning to UK until received, is there a way around it?
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by campos
I got my DrOnline certificate sent and today and I sent off all my docs to the IMT. Just sit tight now and hoping for the best. Next hurdle- getting this biometric registration thing sorted...
Is there anything one can do for the biometric thing apart from registering for it on the website?
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Do I understand it correctly that once you have made the application and paid and sent your driving licence to IMT, with no clue as to when you will receive the actual licence, that with the document received in return that that only permits you to drive in Portugal?
And therefore does not cover you to drive in UK?
If correct, apart from not returning to UK until received, is there a way around it?
The piece of paper is normally valid for three months, I went back to IMT and asked for it to be extended to a year and then got an International Driving Permit , also valid for a year from the Portuguese Automobile Club. I used this to hire a car in the UK , Hertz turned me down but Europcar accepted the combination
Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I have an UK issued international Driving licence that valid until October 2021.(correct one for Portugal)
Are you suggesting that I can continue to drive in Portugal, after the 90 day period post residency exchange cut off, using this permit, despite now being a resident of Portugal?
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

I have an UK issued international Driving licence that valid until October 2021.(correct one for Portugal)
Are you suggesting that I can continue to drive in Portugal, after the 90 day period post residency exchange cut off, using this permit, despite now being a resident of Portugal?
No
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

What a hire company will accept and what the legalities are differ, the post above indicates Hertz are more aware of the legalities than Europcar. An International Driving Permit (it's not a licence) is only valid when accompanied by a valid national driving licence.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Well while in Portugal I only ever drive a hire car from one of the smaller hire companies (but still quite a big company) at the airport. In effect contracts run month by month by the company just tells me to alter the end date on the first contract, and payment is made by transfer.
I accepted residency late december and so appreciate that I have 90 days to exchange licence or cannot drive in Portugal as I understand it.
The question is that a) Now I am a resident should I alter my contract with the hire car company? (the question of residency is not mentioned on their contract) . It does ask for home address and where you are staying. But nothing about residencia itself
b) In any case as a Resident of Portugal as now, are they likely to accept me saying that my home address is my house in Portugal or the UK, where UK driving licence is registered and still a home address, but a resident of Portugal. And are they likely to accept my International DL until it expires?

Of course I can ask them what to do, but be interesting to hear anyones views on here as well. As you say maybe different people have different views
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Note....unable to make any contact with IMT at all, all websites for branches now `under construction`..........never get a reply from hone call or jibberish and left hanging not knowing what is going on, until after 5 mins pphone goes dead, same at SEF main phones.......opless
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

In the past I have managed to hire a car in the UK with no licence at all (my GB licence had been lost and had also recently expired!). However I was still deemed qualified/eligible to drive as there was no reason why I could not have obtained a licence and DVLA faxed a document to that effect. I very much doubt that this concession of being qualified but not licenced to drive in the UK would transfer across borders as the qualification to drive in Portugal would surely depend on a valid licence, something the IDP isn't.

There is also the distinction between satisfying a car hire company and satisfying the police.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

so exactly what is the point of an international driving permit?
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

It's an official translation of your driving licence into multiple languages approved by the various UN Treaties on international road traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.