Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Jan 28th 2021, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

This is how she referred to it exactly:Todavia, aplicando o disposto Decreto-lei 87-A/2020 de 15 de outubro, "Destaque-se, desde logo, a prorrogação, até 31 de março de 2021, da admissibilidade de documentos expirados, designadamente de cartões de cidadão, certidões e certificados emitidos pelos serviços de registos e da identificação civil, cartas de condução… “

Assim, a guia de substituição e carta de condução, que lhe foi enviada, está válida até 31-03-2021.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
Well, well, I did IMT Bragança a disservice - further email response just now received, advises that the decree law covering this current state of emergency declares that documents expiring during the period - inc driving licences - are considered to remain valid until 31st March. That might help you out for now, Bill.
My new PT licence arrived in yesterday’s post! It can happen! Hope those of you still waiting get some joy yourselves soon. If anyone needs a direct email address for a Bragança staff member handling these exchanges, pm me and I’m happy to hand it over. Got a feeling she’ll be busy 😉
Old Feb 8th 2021, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

As our temporary paper licences were due to expire at the end of this month, my wife and I got an early appointment at IMT Faro today and a new stamp on the paper. We now have another 6 months on temporary licences valid only for driving in Portugal. Thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic, we were not planning on driving abroad for a while so that's no problem for the while.

I asked the very officious lady in the IMT Office what was causing the delay in issuing plastic licences and, as expected, she blamed the DVLA. I don't know why this should be as we handed in our DVLA Certificates of Entitlement, Form D737, with our applications back on 1 September 2020. She was very abrupt and said no more, and I did not want to upset her any more than I had already; she had already told me off for trimming my paper licence to a size which, when folded twice, fitted neatly into my leather passport holder. I could have had a €300 fine for defacing the paper licence, she said, by cutting off the blank paper surrounding the certificate. "Where does it say that?" I asked sheepishly. She made no response other than to tell me again I had committed an offence. So be careful everyone and do not deface your temporary licence whilst you wait up to a year for your plastic one.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the IMT in Faro today to have my photo taken and to provide a sample of my signature. The "nice lady" simply said "finish" once the 30-second process had ended and so I collected my stuff together to leave. On the way out the nice lady said that my new licence would be posted to me in two or three weeks, and when I explained that I am now living at a different address to the one I was at when the application was made five months ago, she simply shrugged her shoulders and said "not my problem". It would have been a simple process to have taken my new address and changed it from the previous one, where someone else now lives. As such I now need to rely on the current tenant of my former property to alert me to this very important document to arrive in his/er mailbox. Seems an antiquated system to me...
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the way Southern European bureaucracy works! It has its own logic

Still waiting to hear something about mine, 4 and a half months on....
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I made a complaint online to IMT Lisbon this week about the length of time it is taking to receive our plastic licences. I explained that some people who applied at the IMT Faro office were receiving theirs after only 2 weeks and therefore overtaking applications, like ours, made 6 months' ago. I got a clear response denying that this happens, so it seems that they are not interesting in facts and doing something about the Faro office. I know of several people who who even received their licences in under 2 weeks having applied after we did. There must be boxes of applications sitting untouched in the office.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Today I got an email advising that I didn't send all required document copies previously. It's a bit ambiguous as one in the list they sent is checked, another is highlighted. What do you think? Could it be both? And what is meant anyway by the first in the list? And the second form of ID would be what, as I sent passport too, listed below? No use my Italian ID card.

When I submitted the form I attached what was requested, as I thought.
- "Certificate Of Authenticity" - my residence cert
- Copy of driving licence
-Electronic Medical Certificate (also sent directly to IMT by the Dr)
-Copy of Identity Document (my passport)
- also I attached the DVLA document, which would probably be requested later anyway

In the email they supply a link which is used to upload the required missing documents.

Any ideas?

Last edited by campos; Feb 15th 2021 at 2:57 am.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Did you send a copy of the latest Brexit inspired residence certificate we had to download?
Old Feb 15th 2021, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Did you send a copy of the latest Brexit inspired residence certificate we had to download?
How have I missed this? I take it you're not referring to the application to change residency certificate over to the card, with the QR code etc...? If not, could you elaborate on this thing please, offer any necessary site link etc? thank you.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by campos
How have I missed this? I take it you're not referring to the application to change residency certificate over to the card, with the QR code etc...? If not, could you elaborate on this thing please, offer any necessary site link etc? thank you.
Yes, I am referring to the application for the the residency card. You should have downloaded a new, temporary, paper certificate and this is probably what the IMT are asking for.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I am referring to the application for the the residency card. You should have downloaded a new, temporary, paper certificate and this is probably what the IMT are asking for.
Thanks, that's a relief. I have this.

What do you think about the other yellow highlighted part? Is that what they're asking for too?
Old Feb 15th 2021, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by campos
Thanks, that's a relief. I have this.

What do you think about the other yellow highlighted part? Is that what they're asking for too?
My guess is that they are linked and by mentioning the word Brexit, I think they want the latest version of your residence certificate.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

My guess is that they are linked and by mentioning the word Brexit, I think they want the latest version of your residence certificate.
Thank you , Bill. I'll fire that off then.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

I’m wondering if the highlighted bit means the reverse side of something, your driving licence perhaps? Did you send a copy of both sides of your driving licence photo card?
Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
I’m wondering if the highlighted bit means the reverse side of something, your driving licence perhaps? Did you send a copy of both sides of your driving licence photo card?
Yes, I integrated front and rear scan into one pdf and sent that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.