Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Feb 16th 2021, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

The line with the highlighting means "identification document front missing back" using Google translate. However, your identity document is your passport and a photocopy of that needs only one side of an A4 document. Similarly, your Residence certificate is only one-sided. Only your UK driving licence has 2 sides, so did you copy both sides?
Old Feb 16th 2021, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's why it's confusing. I sent pdf of front and rear of photocard licence. Just checked. Can't surely mean rear of any other ID document...
Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking what might have happened is that they opened the 2 page pdf, saw the front of the card on page one but didn't think to scroll to page 2...

Even though in the file attachment name I specified 'front and back'.

Last edited by campos; Feb 16th 2021 at 12:21 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
I'm thinking what might have happened is that they opened the 2 page pdf, saw the front of the card on page one but didn't think to scroll to page 2...

Even though in the file attachment name I specified 'front and back'.
Both sides would fit on one page of course if you want to resend it. Are you dealing with the Faro office? They have a big problem which I could expand on. I am in the middle of a complaint to the IMT Lisbon office. They keep fobbing me off so I have asked them directly if they are going to have a look at the problem in the Faro office. Specifically, they are sitting on loads of much earlier applications like mine and processing the recent ones. Hence our 6 month wait for the plastic licence and our application for a 6 month extension to our paper one. I await their response.

Last edited by BillBullock; Feb 16th 2021 at 1:11 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Both sides would fit on one page of course if you want to resend it. Are you dealing with the Faro office? They have a big problem which I could expand on. I am in the middle of a complaint to the IMT Lisbon office. They keep fobbing me off so I have asked them directly if they are going to have a look at the problem in the Faro office. Specifically, they are sitting on loads of much earlier applications like mine and processing the recent ones. Hence our 6 month wait for the plastic licence and our application for a 6 month extension to our paper one. I await their response.
Don't know if Faro or not. This email doesn't seem to identify the office - [email protected]
I noticed that the line above the one highlighted is the driving licence one.
Maybe I'll reply to the email pointing all this out...
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Update! Got the IMT email this morning acknowledging successful registration , after submission of the second residency certificate- mentioned just above- and requesting the 30euro payment. Now, it seems, the wait starts...
Old Feb 17th 2021, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

They're superquick once the get the papers and the 30 euros - I got my temporary licence in PDF form within a couple of days.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
They're superquick once the get the papers and the 30 euros - I got my temporary licence in PDF form within a couple of days.
that's something to be a bit positive about then, in our adventures in Portuguese bureaucracy!
Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

planky is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's of any interest, I'm now the proud owner of a Portuguese licence. Started the process 23rd Oct 2020 by emailing relevant application documents, paid my €30 on 24th November 2020, got date for biometric appointment in Faro 7 Jan 2021 (after chasing), posted hard copies of required documents with my UK licence Jan 16th 2021, got a temporary 'guia' document to cover me 28 january and after chasing them once by email, I got the plastic driving licence card at the beginning of this month February. So not too bad. In some ways this is a good time to be doing this, as lockdown restrictions mean that very few people would be considering travelling and having to rent a car.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

So yet another application has overtaken mine done at the Faro office in person on 1 September 2020 under the old system. This is a nonsense.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

BillB - and everyone else with UK licenses to exchange/in process - Brits in Portugal have just posted on Facebook and update which might help you ...

on
https://www.facebook.com/BritsInPortugal/

Last edited by Rambling archer; Feb 18th 2021 at 10:24 am. Reason: link was missed out - oops
Old Feb 18th 2021, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
BillB - and everyone else with UK licenses to exchange/in process - Brits in Portugal have just posted on Facebook and update which might help you ...
https://www.facebook.com/BritsInPort...8649705689519/

https://www.facebook.com/BritishPort...8649705689519/
on
Hope Bill's submission more than 3 months ago hasn't been victim to the 'technical' hitch referred to on FB page.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
https://www.facebook.com/BritsInPort...8649705689519/

https://www.facebook.com/BritishPort...8649705689519/
on
Thanks Rambling archer. No, that Brits in Portugal post is no help to me and the rest of us who have been waiting 6 months or more for action by the IMT office in Faro. My wife and I handed in our Form D737 on 1 September 2020, along with all the other documents, and each received a temporary paper licence which runs out on 28 Feb 21. We have now extended these licences for another 6 months by visiting the Faro office again. I asked how much longer it would take for the plastic licences to be issued and got a curt reply saying it takes ages and it's a DVLA holdup which I believe is nonsense. A friend received her plastic licence in under 2 weeks having applied in late December at the Faro office. There is something very wrong at that office. They don't respond to emails so I made a complaint to the main IMT office in Lisbon. I received nonsense replies to my first few emails but am now assured that they have escalated the complaint. We will see but it would help if others started making complaints as well. Some people have been waiting over a year for their licences.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

planky is an unknown quantity at this point

So sorry to hear this too. I know someone who just walked in to the Faro office, albeit 14 months ago before Covid, and had it processed there and then, and walked out with a new plastic licence in his pocket. It sounds as if you just got caught up in a bottleneck and have been made to suffer.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Today I got my temporary bridge licence PDF. I am requested to send "Carta de Condução, Declaração de Autenticidade e formulário dopedido" via CTT within 20 days to IMT-IP

Delegação Distrital de Viana do Castelo

Rua Carolino Ramos, n.º 2, r/c

4904-852 VIANA DO CASTELO

I take it the second item listed above to send is the DVLA cert we got by fax or mail? And what do they intend as the application form, the last item listed? Any pointers welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.