Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

[QUOTE=CJandCLARE;6202460]
Originally Posted by CharlesMacLeod
Hi,

thankyou!! you are right of course. I think i have maybe done too much reading over the last few days and need to chill out a bit unfortunately we have a nice house, I like my job (overworked nurse) most of the time, my O/H has recently been promoted and my youngest is in a good school (eldest about to leave in a few months). This makes the decision that bit harder, but the lure is the outdoors lifestyle. O/H and i are both into hill walking but you have to plan that like a military operation here. No reliable weather at all!! And the opportunity to prise my 14 year old away from the playstation/laptop/tv is also very tempting. What to do??
There are far worse places to be in the world than Elgin....

I am originally from Alness, so I know the area quite well. I have to admit that if I was in a similar position to you and your husband I might be tempted to stay.

However, we now live down in the SE of England and we have a good number of reasons for upping sticks and going out to Wellington. I would have to say that the best thing to do is go on your gut instinct. As for the kids, my brother-in-law tells me it is a very different lifestyle. Their 5 year old is already playing touch rugby at school!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

CJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=CharlesMacLeod;6202497][QUOTE=CJandCLARE;6202460]

I am originally from Alness, so I know the area quite well. I have to admit that if I was in a similar position to you and your husband I might be tempted to stay.

Yes, Elgin is okay though we arent from here. Parents in law have retired to Spain, my family are in Arbroath and O/H has relatives in NZ. The whole idea of emigrating was to find a better lifestyle (i.e more to do with our time off and the climate to do it) and a bit of adventure before we get too old and shrivelled My sister-in-law has been in NZ for 7 years and has really settled there. They live in Pukekohe, south of Auckland and are sending us some info over about cost of living, housing etc. The trouble is, have i got 'the grass is greener on the other side' syndrome??
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=CharlesMacLeod;6202497]
Originally Posted by CJandCLARE

However, we now live down in the SE of England and we have a good number of reasons for upping sticks and going out to Wellington. I would have to say that the best thing to do is go on your gut instinct. As for the kids, my brother-in-law tells me it is a very different lifestyle. Their 5 year old is already playing touch rugby at school!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant future

Hi everyone, just found this thread. Husband has interview in London in May. Was hoping that somebody might be able to give us a bit more info on procedure. If interview is successful, does that mean we then submit our EOI, get this accepted and send in medicals and police checks. Also does anyone know how much the whole visa process costs and if this is refunded. Any info greatly appreciated. We are hoping to find a cheap B&B in London for the weekend for four of us, if you have any good recommendations they would be greatly welcomed. Look forward to hearing from anyone in the same boat, or further on down the line. Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

sjw1972 is a jewel in the roughsjw1972 is a jewel in the roughsjw1972 is a jewel in the roughsjw1972 is a jewel in the roughsjw1972 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mair
Hi everyone, just found this thread. Husband has interview in London in May. Was hoping that somebody might be able to give us a bit more info on procedure. If interview is successful, does that mean we then submit our EOI, get this accepted and send in medicals and police checks. Also does anyone know how much the whole visa process costs and if this is refunded. Any info greatly appreciated. We are hoping to find a cheap B&B in London for the weekend for four of us, if you have any good recommendations they would be greatly welcomed. Look forward to hearing from anyone in the same boat, or further on down the line. Thanks
Yes were going to interview in London, although we will only be there one day
Good Luck
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had a job offer from the NZ Army working in Christchurch, we are all very excited the big step on Monday comes when hubby signs off from the British Army after 22 yrs.

Regarding accm in london, have you considered the Union Jack Club, it's for military and ex personnel www.ujclub.co.uk
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mair
Hi there, glad you found us!!! We have been in Auckland since July with UK recruitment . You will get all the info you need form the RNZAF if you ask, they are very good at answering any questions you may have. Interview is for both of you, they want to see how you will settle in NZ it is important to them that you stay in as long as pos. For us the whole thing was paid for by ourselves and then refunded when we got here, but you will be required to sign a bond that you will have to pay back if you leave the RNZAF before 3 years. Sorry this is brief but i have SO many emails to catch up on ! i will try to help out if i can. There are a few of you that are new now on here and it is good for you to all stick together ,create a bond as it will be good for you all if you get out here. juggle ideas and thoughts as it isnt an easy thing to do and you will have major ups and downs.
Good luck and all the best for your interview, Debborah.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Originally Posted by teebrown
We have just had a job offer from the NZ Army working in Christchurch, we are all very excited the big step on Monday comes when hubby signs off from the British Army after 22 yrs.

Regarding accm in london, have you considered the Union Jack Club, it's for military and ex personnel www.ujclub.co.uk
Good luck with that!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca_brew is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, Just wondering if anyone has had an actual interview date and time yet as it's gone a bit quiet here since we told them we wouldn't be able to attend the dates they sent us, we got an e-mail saying they would look into jigging us around so they could see us but nothing since....
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
Hi there, glad you found us!!! We have been in Auckland since July with UK recruitment . You will get all the info you need form the RNZAF if you ask, they are very good at answering any questions you may have. Interview is for both of you, they want to see how you will settle in NZ it is important to them that you stay in as long as pos. For us the whole thing was paid for by ourselves and then refunded when we got here, but you will be required to sign a bond that you will have to pay back if you leave the RNZAF before 3 years. Sorry this is brief but i have SO many emails to catch up on ! i will try to help out if i can. There are a few of you that are new now on here and it is good for you to all stick together ,create a bond as it will be good for you all if you get out here. juggle ideas and thoughts as it isnt an easy thing to do and you will have major ups and downs.
Good luck and all the best for your interview, Debborah.
Thanks for your help, it's great to hear from people who have been through the whole process. We are not getting too built up about the whole thing yet, as there are many hurdles to cross. My husband and I met in NZ about 12 years ago, so know it reasonably well, however moving permanently is a big step, will be great if we get a job offer, will have to keep our fingers crossed. Thanks once again everyone for info.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

We have an interview date, Saturday 17th May, any one else going then??
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rebecca, we also have an interview on that day, although we have no venue or time yet. OH has to fly in so fingers crossed he makes it over on time! Good luck with yours, might see you on the day, we are taking our girls along, and are in the process of trying to book some accommodation for the weekend.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

CJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the roughCJandCLARE is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rebecca_brew
We have an interview date, Saturday 17th May, any one else going then??
Hi Rebecca, we have got that date as well. told to be there at 08.00 though no specific time for interview. We will be travelling through from Kings Lyn just for the day if all goes well. Good Luck
clare
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Great, we will havta wear a red rose on our lapels or something so we recognise each other..haha.
It's all getting very exciting!
Old May 1st 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any more info regarding interviews in May, we have had date but nothing else. As it's getting nearer the time I emailed NZ a few days ago but as yet no response. Am wondering if the venue will be in New Zealand House. Getting quite excited about it all now :, but don't want to get our hopes up just yet. Hope to meet a few of you on the day. Bye for now Beth and Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.