Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Went for a drive and ended up on the 70 to Kaikoura. It was stunning! We saw very few cars, the sun was shining for most of the drive too. The lambs were in the fields. For you bikers, I probably wouldn't recommend it as a lot of the road was very gritty/gravelly which on a hairpin bend wouldn't be too great.
When we got to Kaikoura, we saw a few seal pups too. A lovely day.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Went for a drive and ended up on the 70 to Kaikoura. It was stunning! We saw very few cars, the sun was shining for most of the drive too. The lambs were in the fields. For you bikers, I probably wouldn't recommend it as a lot of the road was very gritty/gravelly which on a hairpin bend wouldn't be too great.
When we got to Kaikoura, we saw a few seal pups too. A lovely day.
pics please if you have any
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Location: Manchester, UK but moving to Christchurch, NZ in October '12
BeckyandTom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the forum, I visited a few times before deciding to make the move but finally just joined now that we have a moving date.

My husband and I are moving on October 8th to Christchurch, Tom's a Quantity Surveyor so secured a sponsored visa, I work in Marketing and will hopefully get a job when I get out there.

We have 4 weeks rent paid for and arranged by his company but I have a question about bringing dogs over. Due to the rabies vaccinations they need, our two aren't due to come over until January. We have one very small Chihuahua and a more medium sized Springer Spaniel. For the past 2 months or so I've been looking at renting furnished properties (less hassle than bringing out all our furniture) that accepts dogs and they are few and far between. The estate agents I've spoken to have said they obviously can't guarantee a property, but that we have to fill in a form to have 2 dogs?? I've found it online but can't see why you would need one?
There is a possibility of leaving our bigger dog behind with family in the UK if it's really going to impede our search - I just wondered what everyone's experiences have been like?
We're prepared to pay quite a bit as we want to live somewhere nice so I'm not sure if just offering private landlords a hundred dollars or more to secure a place would make a difference?

Sorry for the long message...first time poster!

Becky xxx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeckyandTom
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the forum, I visited a few times before deciding to make the move but finally just joined now that we have a moving date.

My husband and I are moving on October 8th to Christchurch, Tom's a Quantity Surveyor so secured a sponsored visa, I work in Marketing and will hopefully get a job when I get out there.

We have 4 weeks rent paid for and arranged by his company but I have a question about bringing dogs over. Due to the rabies vaccinations they need, our two aren't due to come over until January. We have one very small Chihuahua and a more medium sized Springer Spaniel. For the past 2 months or so I've been looking at renting furnished properties (less hassle than bringing out all our furniture) that accepts dogs and they are few and far between. The estate agents I've spoken to have said they obviously can't guarantee a property, but that we have to fill in a form to have 2 dogs?? I've found it online but can't see why you would need one?
There is a possibility of leaving our bigger dog behind with family in the UK if it's really going to impede our search - I just wondered what everyone's experiences have been like?
We're prepared to pay quite a bit as we want to live somewhere nice so I'm not sure if just offering private landlords a hundred dollars or more to secure a place would make a difference?

Sorry for the long message...first time poster!

Becky xxx
Hi Becky and welcome to the forum1

All dogs must be registered with the council. You are issued with a coloured disc which the dog must wear on the collar. The colour changes each year, so unlicensed dogs are identifiable. Some councils set a limit on the number of dogs. In Christchurch, your property will be inspected for suitability over a certain number.
We brought our large GSD/Collie cross with us. We also rent and were lucky enough not to have a problem. You can offer to show photos of your current home and dogs to show lack of damage. You can also offer to pay for carpet clean at end of rental.
Tbh, I don't see why there should be such a huge problem - you have to pay a sizeable bond, so if you leave the property with any 'dog damage', then they can use your bond money to rectify it. I would think that though, being a dog owner
Try Ironbridge.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Becky

You might need to negotiate with regards to pets being bought over in furnished properties. Unfurnished wouldn't be so much of a problem but it seems some landlords get worried about their properties. Are you currently renting in the UK? If so, obtain references as this would help your cause.

If you go on TradeMe and see that they say no pets, don't be afraid to enquire anyway.

You'd have no problems with getting a dog into properties around the Linwood area
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Location: Manchester, UK but moving to Christchurch, NZ in October '12
BeckyandTom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Chippy64 and Tom1983,

Your advice really helps. I think what we'll do is plan to bring them both over, and then if we're really struggling around November/December time we can always not bring the bigger dog.

Thank you for explaining the dog tag thing - makes sense now! I have the form so can fill that out no problem. I check TradeMe every morning and spoken to a few agents who said we're still a bit early for a property in November. Plus I'd like to spend a few weeks visiting all the suburbs to see what suits us best.

We own our house in the UK and are renting it out, so finding references will be hard, but we'll take pictures. Plus the larger dog lives outside so I'm hoping that will help our cause, he's a gundog so he's fantastically trained.

Yes, I thought about offering for professional cleaning anyway, and thank you for the advice about asking - if you don't ask you don't get after all!

Thank you for all your help. Flights booked for 8th October so we'll be there on 10th!

Becky x
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BeckyandTom
Thanks Chippy64 and Tom1983,

Your advice really helps. I think what we'll do is plan to bring them both over, and then if we're really struggling around November/December time we can always not bring the bigger dog.

Thank you for explaining the dog tag thing - makes sense now! I have the form so can fill that out no problem. I check TradeMe every morning and spoken to a few agents who said we're still a bit early for a property in November. Plus I'd like to spend a few weeks visiting all the suburbs to see what suits us best.

We own our house in the UK and are renting it out, so finding references will be hard, but we'll take pictures. Plus the larger dog lives outside so I'm hoping that will help our cause, he's a gundog so he's fantastically trained.

Yes, I thought about offering for professional cleaning anyway, and thank you for the advice about asking - if you don't ask you don't get after all!

Thank you for all your help. Flights booked for 8th October so we'll be there on 10th!

Becky x
We owned our own home in the UK, so came out with no references. Also, dogs living outside is very common here, so yes that should help. There are also a number of 'dog parks' here - areas specifically for exercising your dog. http://www.ccc.govt.nz/homeliving/pe.../dogparks.aspx
Some dogs can get freaked by the quakes/aftershocks. Our dog either looks at the floor, or if it's a bigger one he just stands up and looks at us. I think he believes we have brought him to a strange place, where the earth moves and water doesn't stay still either (he had never seen the sea)
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Hardie17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi been in riccarton 3 weeks now from Barnsley we move into our new rented property tomorrow been very lucky get Intouch if you want to know anymore shop at countdown not new world unless your a millionaire lol and don't like oak and save sorry sound like a snob but love countdown and warehouse is good for toiletteries I need friends anyone please x
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Hi becky we left our beloved dog back in England it's hard to get a rented property with a dog and they like a family of four for some reason and non smokers get references from family friends back home or use your hubby's boss for references that's wha my hubby did and we also had 8 weeks free accommodation with my hubby's firm but have managed to get a property after three weeks so moving in tomorrow you will need a good renting company we used ray whites you have to register with them when you arrive and you will need to leave a holding payment with them hope this helps get Intouch if you need anymore info I would fetch loads of toiletteries with you they are pretty expensive over here xxx Lisa and davie
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hardie17, you might want to change your location for privacy?
Have a look at New Kiwis group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/241812135269/ There is usually something interesting going on.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Pak n Save do sell branded goods and they have 'stickman' deals a couple of times a week, such as Surf washing powder for 99c! We shop in Countdown, Pak n Save and Fresh Choice. Also if we are 'desperate' for English goods (mostly Walkers Crisps and Robinsons Squash for my 19 year old ), then we go to Riccarton Market which is on every Sunday, regardless of weather. http://www.riccartonmarket.co.nz/
Christchurch Farmers Market on Saturday mornings at Riccarton House is also worth visiting. The Cornish Pasty people are at both markets .
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Hi chippy what do you mean about privacy new to this have I done something wrong ?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hardie17
Hi chippy what do you mean about privacy new to this have I done something wrong ?
Hi Hardie, wasn't me honest. Think Mark was referring to having your full address on show. Whilst I am not a weirdo you never know who is lurking around these forums so just not a good idea. You can always pm people with contact details once you get to know them
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Riccarton Market is excellent and if you want to purchase British foods go there. It's much cheaper than the British shop on Riccarton Road and they sometimes have the proper Weetabix. Not the rubbish that is sold here

I'm sure you'll get a place that'll accept dogs even though your chances with an unfurnished property will be far greater than a furnished property. Pets are extremely popular in this country. Whenever the wife and I go to Northlands, if there's kittens or puppies at the pet shop - they'll be gone by the time we finish. We're generally not there that long unless i'm too busy looking round Warehouse. Plus one thing i've really noticed is that they're extremely well behaved. It seems most kiwis here (well Christchurch) really look after and train their dogs well, even been licked by the odd dog.

You mentioned cleaning, Harcourts I think request you do a carpet clean when you move out? I know the properties we looked at with them requested a carpet clean. Might not be for all properties but it was with the 4 we looked at.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Harcourts I think request you do a carpet clean when you move out?
Hi Tom,
Our lease with another agent has this clause. I'm not sure this is legal or enforceable - especially as our carpets are described on a schedule of condition as being in very bad condition. I had a little read around on a NZ govt website
Landlords may breach the RTA by writing clauses into tenancy agreements that conflict with the RTA, such as:
carpets must be professionally cleaned at the end of a tenancy
http://www.dbh.govt.nz/breaches-of-rta
I look forward to raising this with our agent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.