Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Jun 21st 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

http://www.christchurchfarmersmarket...ristmas-market

Who's going?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:17 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matelot
Brilliant shot Storms! Is it down Scarborough way?
Spot on Matelot..... looking down towards the Lifeboat station. Forgot my camera and used the mobile.....technology!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

lovely pics Stormer
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:06 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Truth is the sun is so strong/bright my chance of seeing anything in the little viewing screen is ziltch...so it's point and shoot and hope!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

well you did good! im crap at taking pics, theres usually a big thumb or something in the pic lol
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Attachment 107332

Mid winters day tee shirt and shorts weather....

You can almost feel that blue sky!
Fab pics
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Went to the Farmers Market at Riccarton House on Saturday - it was worth going to.
2 Cornish Pasty stalls (one the same as the Sunday Riccarton Racecourse Market). The other one also sold pork pies . Lots of fresh food for sale, as well as a wine stall and a beer stall. Kev bought some Spruce Beer from the Wigram Brewing Company at $5 a 500ml bottle - he likened it to Wadworth 6X.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:06 am

Nice little walk in Chch sunshine to-day from the Port Hills looking down to Governers Bay.....not bad for a winters day....
Attached Thumbnails The Christchurch thread-dscf2715.jpg  
Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:29 am
RIP Jackson - 10/07/12

azakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really nice

Just thought i would pop in to say a quick hello to all you in Christchurch. We, Myself (Lindsey) and husband Aaron, shall be arriving on August 21st! Do not start work till the end of September, so hopefully find a rental and visit my brother in Nelson for a bit. I am a Reg Nurse and have a job at ChCh Hospital. I'm 28 and Aaron is 32, JUST.

On the rental front, how does it work? Can you apply for more than one property at the same time, hoping to get one. Or would you enter a binding contract if more than one accepted you? Little bit confussed!

Nice pictures Stormer by the way
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:18 am

Rentals are hard to come by so forget about agents go straight for Trademe and visit as many as possible. Saying that we managed OK in less than a week as there are only the pair of us. Wife works at the Labs across the road to the hospital and buses are good from where we are, Burnside, every 1/2 hr. Aug 21st my birthday.... Make sure you have booked somewhere to stay when you arrive. Any thing you want to ask go ahead....no snobs in ere..
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by azakeen1980
Just thought i would pop in to say a quick hello to all you in Christchurch. We, Myself (Lindsey) and husband Aaron, shall be arriving on August 21st! Do not start work till the end of September, so hopefully find a rental and visit my brother in Nelson for a bit. I am a Reg Nurse and have a job at ChCh Hospital. I'm 28 and Aaron is 32, JUST.

On the rental front, how does it work? Can you apply for more than one property at the same time, hoping to get one. Or would you enter a binding contract if more than one accepted you? Little bit confussed!

Nice pictures Stormer by the way
Welcome

In terms of rentals, you'll have to sort that when you arrive. I think it's s rule here that you have to see the place first before taking it.

Then there's the type of contract, don't take a fixed tenancy! If you move into a property that requires repairs and another big quake hits, the chances are you'll have to move. Hence comes the problem. We had a nightmare attempting to get out of the contract, took about 3 months.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:11 am
Just Joined

EmmaandIan is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice pictures Stormer by the way [/QUOTE]

Hey there, don't make the mistake we made which was to assume you viewed a property and then said whether or not you wanted it. They do something called an open viewing on a set day and time, you can go and find 10 other people viewing, if you are interested you then have to fill out an application form and hope that you get picked...we had two weeks in a motel when we first arrived and in that time we must have viewed 20 properties..also there seems to be a notion that if it's a 3 bed house you will pay x amount regardless of its condition, we saw some places that you would have thought they had just removed a corpse from...trademe seems to be the best place to find rentals but I also badgered the estate agents endlessly. There are some short tem rentals you maybe able to pick up which at least takes pressure off if you can't afford to stay in the motels for long...good luck with the search...
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:35 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We must have been lucky when we turned up on 21st March 2011. We were in a bed and breakfast in Rattray Street (Rattray Rendezvous) in Riccarton for a week whilst we looked for somewhere to rent. The first property we viewed as a potential rental, well, the less said the better. The second property, a 2 bed in Linwood was much better, much nicer.

So we booked two more nights at the b&b whilst finalising the details to move in, not least co-ordinating with NZ Van Lines to bring our furniture to the new house.

We found the agent, 'First Avenue Property Management' on TradeMe. I'm assuming all but the earthquakes have changed in the intervening 12 months since we left on 29 June last year.

Well done stormer, glad you and your wife are settling in OK. The view of Governors Bay is fantastic isn't it ? It's one of the few good views I remember of Christchurch. I also remember walking along the beach at New Brighton watching the surf roll onto the sand as we looked up towards the red cliffs at Redcliffs.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:31 am
RIP Jackson - 10/07/12

azakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really nice

if you are interested you then have to fill out an application form and hope that you get picked...
Can you fill out applications for lots of properties on the hope of getting one. Or would you be bound, if say 3 picked you?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by azakeen1980; Jul 7th 2012 at 6:53 am. Reason: quowtywoties
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
We must have been lucky when we turned up on 21st March 2011. We were in a bed and breakfast in Rattray Street (Rattray Rendezvous) in Riccarton for a week whilst we looked for somewhere to rent. The first property we viewed as a potential rental, well, the less said the better. The second property, a 2 bed in Linwood was much better, much nicer.

So we booked two more nights at the b&b whilst finalising the details to move in, not least co-ordinating with NZ Van Lines to bring our furniture to the new house.

We found the agent, 'First Avenue Property Management' on TradeMe. I'm assuming all but the earthquakes have changed in the intervening 12 months since we left on 29 June last year.

Well done stormer, glad you and your wife are settling in OK. The view of Governors Bay is fantastic isn't it ? It's one of the few good views I remember of Christchurch. I also remember walking along the beach at New Brighton watching the surf roll onto the sand as we looked up towards the red cliffs at Redcliffs.
Yes well installed in Chch now thanks and enjoying the winter sun... Used to the quake feeling now and knowing is half the battle.
Now peeps what is this coastal plant photo taken at Taylors Mistake last weekend....
Attached Thumbnails The Christchurch thread-dscf2722.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.