The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Location: Manchester, UK but moving to Christchurch, NZ in October '12
BeckyandTom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I'm making a list of all the agents that have properties on their books that we like so I'll register with them when we arrive. I'll take pictures of the dogs, as well as the house too. My husband used to rent with the dog before I met him so I'll get a reference of his landlord, luckily a close friend!
I know we'd be better in unfurnished, but the thought of buying a whole lot of furniture fills me with dread, it's not like there's an ikea. And I ideally don't want to be shipping a tonne of stuff over either. We will wait and see what the tenant for our property in the UK wants, if they insist on unfurnished, then perhaps unfurnished in NZ could be an option.

Becky xx
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeckyandTom
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I'm making a list of all the agents that have properties on their books that we like so I'll register with them when we arrive. I'll take pictures of the dogs, as well as the house too. My husband used to rent with the dog before I met him so I'll get a reference of his landlord, luckily a close friend!
I know we'd be better in unfurnished, but the thought of buying a whole lot of furniture fills me with dread, it's not like there's an ikea. And I ideally don't want to be shipping a tonne of stuff over either. We will wait and see what the tenant for our property in the UK wants, if they insist on unfurnished, then perhaps unfurnished in NZ could be an option.

Becky xx
You can rent furniture from a company such as http://www.mrrental.co.nz/rent-for-home/special-offers. You can also get Ikea furniture from companies such as http://www.ikeanz.co.nz/
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:31 am
Just Joined

YesOk35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I arrive on CC on the 29th Aug from the UK and am looking forward to it, this thread has been good reading - thanks!!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YesOk35
Hey, I arrive on CC on the 29th Aug from the UK and am looking forward to it, this thread has been good reading - thanks!!
You're welcome!

Where are you headed to in ChCh?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:42 am
Just Joined

YesOk35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its job dependant at present but I'm staying just outside of CC till I get myself sorted out and then moving close to where work will be
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YesOk35
Its job dependant at present but I'm staying just outside of CC till I get myself sorted out and then moving close to where work will be
Neat - safe travels!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Glad my thread idea has been usefull.

Been very quiet recently! We're meeting the kiwi employer over here in september. Hopefully start visa process soon after that
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:09 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Riccarton Market is excellent and if you want to purchase British foods go there. It's much cheaper than the British shop on Riccarton Road and they sometimes have the proper Weetabix. Not the rubbish that is sold here

Plus one thing i've really noticed is that they're extremely well behaved. It seems most kiwis here (well Christchurch) really look after and train their dogs well, even been licked by the odd dog.
Oh, not a fan of NZ Weetbix ? I've adjusted to my suprise ! I actually like the Multigrain Weetbix in NZ. I wonder if I would struggle to go back to proper Weetabix which I was starting to find tasted oddly sweet to me. I've got some Shredded Wheat which I purchased from our local New World in Wanganui from the British food display for - wait for it - $14 ! Wished I hadn't bothered, it's not very fresh despite being in-date.

The Little Britain expat food shop on the Riccarton Road seems to be more than a sweet shop with a few British goods for sale. I got some Marmalde there though. NZ marmalade is, for me, well, just don't go there ! Also got some Marmite before I realised that My Mate sold in shops in NZ is British Marmite, it even comes in the same jars. NZ Marmite made by Sanitarium, God no ! It's revolting.

Regarding dogs, one of my remembers of Christchurch is the amount of dogs being allowed to run loose. OK, only about 3 or 4 but that's still 3 or 4 more than in Britain.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 5th 2012 at 2:13 am.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:54 pm
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Can anyone give me an idea on driving times from outer city areas to the hospital??
Looking at rentals in the city - expensive!! i was told they are. But however, in all other areas of NZ the rentals are alot cheaper. I was wondering how far people generally commute into work! wouldnt mind living out abit further and having a better home and driving (costing) more. would like to hear your views.
Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

From the far end of Bowenvale avenue in Cashmere at 7.30am, it takes about 15 mins. We were house sitting down this end recently and passed the hospital some days on our commute.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

I was just having a nosey at canterbury stuff earlier.. Those hamner springs pools look magic!! Wish i was there right now. Got a sore back atm, i bet they would help!

Have any of you been? Looks a good day or weekend out
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup Several times. It's around a 4 hour drive for us from where we live. We will always try and take overseas visitors there if we can. A round route which also takes in the Lewis Pass ,Kaikoura, Picton.

Good place to go have a chill out.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by skends
Can anyone give me an idea on driving times from outer city areas to the hospital??
Looking at rentals in the city - expensive!! i was told they are. But however, in all other areas of NZ the rentals are alot cheaper. I was wondering how far people generally commute into work! wouldnt mind living out abit further and having a better home and driving (costing) more. would like to hear your views.
Many thanks in advance.
I presume you mean Christchurch Hospital at Hagley Park? Just that there's also Princess Margaret and Burwood

In terms of city centre accommodation, have a look on trade me but I don't think the city centre is as expensive as you imagine. Rentals around the centre have dropped an awful lot in price. When we moved to the city centre, we were paying $299 a week as the damage caused to the building by the quakes deteriorated the rental value.

Otherwise, it depends where you are located and what roads you use? The good thing about Christchurch is that if you know the busy roads, you can generally avoid them. For example, I live in Merivale but work up at the airport and instead of using Heaton Street and Memorial Avenue, I drive up Papanui Road and then along Harewood Road. Saves at least 10 minutes on the journey and avoids the Heaton Street/Idris Road/Strowan Road.

Going into the city, you might be unable to avoid busy junctions until you get to the four way ring road. Once you hit Bealey Avenue, Fiztgerald Avenue, Moorhouse Avenue and Deans Avenue, you'll hit traffic. I think the drive into the hospital will be pretty busy but Deans Avenue after Riccarton Roundabout is quite straightforward. You can go that way down to Moorhouse Avenue junction or if you want go along Riccarton Avenue. I think there's a hospital staff park which is handy

You'll want to live west of the city centre I would have thought for an easier journey into Christchurch. Somewhere like Riccarton, Fendalton or Addington would be good areas. It'll only take you about 10 - 20 minutes depending on the time you head to work
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:21 am
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Yes, Hagley Park
Thanks for that - was thinking airport area or Waltham, Linwood, New Brighton areas too, any advice is much appreciated.
Im going to go and study google maps so that I have more of an idea of what roads you are talking about.
We only drove through chch and stayed overnight in Linwood - didnt get to see any of it really. Got some reli's in Burwood who we drove to see - saw some pretty bad EQ damage around there too.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

was thinking airport area or Waltham, Linwood, New Brighton areas too, any advice is much appreciated.
Bishopdale close to the airport, in the north west is a nice suburb and easily connected to the city using Wairakei road or harewood and papanui road. New Brighton could be a bit of a pain with the bridge being closed to two way traffic. As a rough guide we pay $280 a week for a 2 bedroom place in St Albans/Merivale area, but I think this is now pretty cheap. Probably best to have a look around and get a feel of the city before you decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.