Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:00 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by skends
Can anyone give me an idea on driving times from outer city areas to the hospital??
Looking at rentals in the city - expensive!! i was told they are. But however, in all other areas of NZ the rentals are alot cheaper. I was wondering how far people generally commute into work! wouldnt mind living out abit further and having a better home and driving (costing) more. would like to hear your views.
Many thanks in advance.
I live next to Hornby [no one knows where my neighbourhood is so think of Hornby!] it is right on the western edge of the city. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get into the centre when it is not rush hour.
I work in St Albans some mornings and it takes me 30minutes to get there during the busy period. That is slightly further than the hospital.
It takes me 30minutes to get to New Brighton or Parklands during the morning rush. You just have to know the best routes and where to avoid.

One question could be 'what is your longest acceptable commute time?' and work back from there. I would prefer to walk to work but that's not possible.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:07 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Saves at least 10 minutes on the journey and avoids the Heaton Street/Idris Road/Strowan Road.
I drive along there to get to St Albans in the morning and am always so glad that I'm heading east when I get to that roundabout, it's often gridlocked heading south. Most people realise not to block the roundabout so I usually only have 4 cars at the most in front of me and we all sail on through
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:18 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I have been reading lots of different posts on here for a while now and have just signed up when I noticed the Christchurch thread. Here's a little bit about us!

We are a couple from the UK looking to come out to New Zealand on a two year working holiday visa. My OH has family in Christchurch who we visited for Christmas 2011 for 7 amazing weeks! As soon as we returned from New Zealand in February we knew we wanted to go back. We have been back in England for around 7 months now and very much looking forward to getting back to NZ. We toured a lot of the south island and fell in love with Chch as well as the fact we would like to be close to the OH family already over there. We clicked with them when we stayed over xmas and had a lovely time.

We've just had our medicals completed, all of which are OK, just have to wait to the certificate to come through. Then it will be police report and the visa. Then goodbye England hopefully early 2013!

As new expats to NZ we value advice very much. We already have the family in NZ who have been a big help, but expat advice is helpful too. Also we love to meet new people so providing all goes well with the visa application if anyone is around we would love to meet up for a coffee (or beer!?) I'll definitely been keeping an eye on the forum for any new advice and postings.

Thanks all!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi everyone,

I have been reading lots of different posts on here for a while now and have just signed up when I noticed the Christchurch thread. Here's a little bit about us!

We are a couple from the UK looking to come out to New Zealand on a two year working holiday visa. My OH has family in Christchurch who we visited for Christmas 2011 for 7 amazing weeks! As soon as we returned from New Zealand in February we knew we wanted to go back. We have been back in England for around 7 months now and very much looking forward to getting back to NZ. We toured a lot of the south island and fell in love with Chch as well as the fact we would like to be close to the OH family already over there. We clicked with them when we stayed over xmas and had a lovely time.

We've just had our medicals completed, all of which are OK, just have to wait to the certificate to come through. Then it will be police report and the visa. Then goodbye England hopefully early 2013!

As new expats to NZ we value advice very much. We already have the family in NZ who have been a big help, but expat advice is helpful too. Also we love to meet new people so providing all goes well with the visa application if anyone is around we would love to meet up for a coffee (or beer!?) I'll definitely been keeping an eye on the forum for any new advice and postings.

Thanks all!

Welcome to the forum! I've found this thread very helpful, im glad i started it. The forums been great too!

dont be scared to contact any of the christchurch members on here, theyre very friendly!

If we make our way out there eventually we'll def meet up for a beer/wine!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:17 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scottishstacey!

Are you looking to make the move as well? When are you looking at going out there?

Beer/wine sounds good. Wouldn't mind a Speights or an NZ Pure right now!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scottishstacey!

Are you looking to make the move as well? When are you looking at going out there?

Beer/wine sounds good. Wouldn't mind a Speights or an NZ Pure right now!
Yeah my oh has a job offer with one company and another one emailed this week asking if we'd still be interested (we'd applied ages ago but then the company said there wasnt enough work to bring foreign workers over at that point, i guess things are starting to move now) so we'll see what the details for that was is. I wanted to come out before january if possible but we'll just have to see.

A glass of wine in the sun sounds good right now! im feeling freezing at the moment, actually thinking of buying some gloves tomorrow!

7 weeks is a really long time to be over there! I bet you got to do loads of research and a reccie. Did it feel strange having xmas in the sun? i think thats one of the things id definitely find a bit strange
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:50 pm
She'll be right

Yes, we are aiming for the same sort of time too. January is a good time to go, lovely weather! We are working on CV's and covering letters at the moment and will start applying in October. Although we've heard Dec/Jan might be quiet employment wise because of Christmas and school holidays. Even if we make it out in March we don't mind, at least we would have made it!

Good news on your OH's job offer. Do you already have visas? And have you found it straight forward getting job offers without being in NZ? I've heard mixed things about this. Some people say you can get a job offer before you go and others say you're better off waiting until you arrive. Our theory is we'll try to get work whilst in the UK and if we don't get very far we'll go out in March/April. What do you and your OH do for a living? (if you don't mind me asking!)

The OH and I took a year out and went travelling in 2011. NZ was our final stop where we spent Christmas with his Aunt, Uncle, cousins and family friends. We borrowed his uncles 4 by 4 (awesome!) and toured around stopping off at campsites. It was a good experience because we got to see NZ as a tourist but also got an insight into what it's like to live there. My OH's family were honest about some of the problems like renting etc, which is always helpful (still didn't put us off!) As for Christmas in the sun it was strange! We had a BBQ in the garden with champagne and steak. It was also quite welcomed as the four months before NZ we had spent in Asia where it was so hot and humid. Being in NZ with sunshine but no humidity was like heaven!

Good luck to you and your OH with the job offers, hopefully something suitable will come along.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, we are aiming for the same sort of time too. January is a good time to go, lovely weather! We are working on CV's and covering letters at the moment and will start applying in October. Although we've heard Dec/Jan might be quiet employment wise because of Christmas and school holidays. Even if we make it out in March we don't mind, at least we would have made it!

Good news on your OH's job offer. Do you already have visas? And have you found it straight forward getting job offers without being in NZ? I've heard mixed things about this. Some people say you can get a job offer before you go and others say you're better off waiting until you arrive. Our theory is we'll try to get work whilst in the UK and if we don't get very far we'll go out in March/April. What do you and your OH do for a living? (if you don't mind me asking!)

The OH and I took a year out and went travelling in 2011. NZ was our final stop where we spent Christmas with his Aunt, Uncle, cousins and family friends. We borrowed his uncles 4 by 4 (awesome!) and toured around stopping off at campsites. It was a good experience because we got to see NZ as a tourist but also got an insight into what it's like to live there. My OH's family were honest about some of the problems like renting etc, which is always helpful (still didn't put us off!) As for Christmas in the sun it was strange! We had a BBQ in the garden with champagne and steak. It was also quite welcomed as the four months before NZ we had spent in Asia where it was so hot and humid. Being in NZ with sunshine but no humidity was like heaven!

Good luck to you and your OH with the job offers, hopefully something suitable will come along.
The idea of skipping winter here appeals to me but i dont know if its going to be possible! March will be a good time for you to go aswell, it will fly in!

So are you going for a PR visa then? we're trying to go for the WTR visa, just trying to sort out the number side of it atm. Meeting the employers at the end of the month here in scotland and then we'll take it from there. Hopefully sort the medicals out soon after that if it goes ok. Dave already has his police check.

I dont mind you asking! ive just been doing temp jobs - admin, retail etc things like that. I worked in the animal care sector for most of the time but theres not much work in that so had to move onto something else.

We found it easy to get the job offer here but it could of just been luck or something. Ive heard other people find it hard. It was probably just because his jobs for the chch rebuild. Hes a excavator operator/truck driver. If i applied for jobs from here i'd probably get no reply at all.

What do you and your oh work as? The travelling sounds amazing! Other than christchurch what was your fave part of NZ? so many amazing looking places!

Id love to come over and do a reccie but we just cant afford it so we'll just have to take the leap and come over without it, we're a young couple with no kids so just trying to look at it as a adventure.

It must be very handy for you having your oh's family over there, they'll help you settle plus im sure theyve been very handy with all your research

Mmm champagne and steak in the sun sounds perfect!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:29 pm
She'll be right

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
The idea of skipping winter here appeals to me but i dont know if its going to be possible! March will be a good time for you to go aswell, it will fly in!

So are you going for a PR visa then? we're trying to go for the WTR visa, just trying to sort out the number side of it atm. Meeting the employers at the end of the month here in scotland and then we'll take it from there. Hopefully sort the medicals out soon after that if it goes ok. Dave already has his police check.

I dont mind you asking! ive just been doing temp jobs - admin, retail etc things like that. I worked in the animal care sector for most of the time but theres not much work in that so had to move onto something else.

We found it easy to get the job offer here but it could of just been luck or something. Ive heard other people find it hard. It was probably just because his jobs for the chch rebuild. Hes a excavator operator/truck driver. If i applied for jobs from here i'd probably get no reply at all.

What do you and your oh work as? The travelling sounds amazing! Other than christchurch what was your fave part of NZ? so many amazing looking places!

Id love to come over and do a reccie but we just cant afford it so we'll just have to take the leap and come over without it, we're a young couple with no kids so just trying to look at it as a adventure.

It must be very handy for you having your oh's family over there, they'll help you settle plus im sure theyve been very handy with all your research

Mmm champagne and steak in the sun sounds perfect!
Yes, me too. I find winters in England really depressing! And they go on for so long. I would swap that for landing in NZ to sunshine! When we were in Chch over Christmas we had blue skies and sunshine for the majority of the trip apart from a couple of overcast days and lots of rain on the west side.

We are flying in on a 2 year working holiday visa. We intend to get professional jobs either before we arrive or soon after arriving depending on how job offers pan out. I think what happens is once we are employed our employer puts us down as "temporary workers" on our contract and then it will change to a WTR visa. The doctors surgery called today to let us know the xrays and medicals are all clear so it's just a case of waiting for the certificate to land on our doorstep. Then once we have that we will apply for the police certificate once we know our medicals are definitely OK.

My OH works in IT as a systems administrator and I work in a job that's similar to a physiotherapist.

The travelling was amazing. We both miss it and if we could we would go again! But we have a lot to look forward to in NZ. One of my favourite places was Mount Cook, where we went for new years eve. The weather (once again) was perfect. The scenery was just breath taking! Also the road from Te Anau to Milford Sound was fun to drive with some amazing scenery as well. Oh and Abel Tasman was also a highlight! So may highlights! All of which was easy to access, barely any traffic, petrol reasonably priced and campsites affordable.

We're similar too- just the two of us, no kids, no pets (excluding the OH ) Coming over for a reccie is good but not too much of a problem if you can't. Family and friends have said "what if you don't like it?" My response is usually what''s the worst that can happen? We go over, we give it a try, we don't like it and go back to the UK. I think that's better than the alternative of sitting in the UK wondering what if.

We're both starting to get excited now at the prospect of moving. Are you and the OH feeling the same? I keep getting the urge to celebrate little milestones like completing our medicals, filling out our police forms!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Blue skies in Chch this morning and reaching 20 degrees this afternoon. Bye bye winter!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

My OH works in IT as a systems administrator and I work in a job that's similar to a physiotherapist.
Sorry to sound like a scrooge here but are you planning on attempting to get those sort of jobs over here on a working hoilday visa?

If so, I can only wish you the very best of luck! You're gonna need it

I strongly advise you get in touch with Kelly IT services for your partner and that you seek health recruitment agencies.

Working holiday visas are more designed for short-term office based work, agriculture or hospitality. Getting a full on permanent job in professional skilled areas that you are in, is difficult.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Blue skies in Chch this morning and reaching 20 degrees this afternoon. Bye bye winter!
Me, cup of tea, a James Patterson novel from the library and a bottle of factor 30 in the garden
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:23 pm
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Bishopdale close to the airport, in the north west is a nice suburb and easily connected to the city using Wairakei road or harewood and papanui road. New Brighton could be a bit of a pain with the bridge being closed to two way traffic. As a rough guide we pay $280 a week for a 2 bedroom place in St Albans/Merivale area, but I think this is now pretty cheap. Probably best to have a look around and get a feel of the city before you decide.
thanks for that - will keep looking/researching - your probably right about getting there first and getting a feel for the city. Thanks.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:26 pm
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Persephone
I live next to Hornby [no one knows where my neighbourhood is so think of Hornby!] it is right on the western edge of the city. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get into the centre when it is not rush hour.
I work in St Albans some mornings and it takes me 30minutes to get there during the busy period. That is slightly further than the hospital.
It takes me 30minutes to get to New Brighton or Parklands during the morning rush. You just have to know the best routes and where to avoid.

One question could be 'what is your longest acceptable commute time?' and work back from there. I would prefer to walk to work but that's not possible.
Cheers for that too. Good idea about longest acceptable commute time, I was looking at the walking time from Waltham to Hagley park/ hospital. Any ideas??
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:31 pm
Movin on

Thumbs up Re: The Christchurch thread

[QUOTE=scottishstacey;10267351] I've found this thread very helpful, im glad i started it.

Yep, thanks to you - this thread has been valuable to me too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.