Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Hi All. Well it looks like we'll be on our way once the paperwork is completed!

My husband is currently flying over Dubai on his way home from a week in ChCh. He had loads of meetings resulting in a fair few job offers. He agreed terms with one particular employer, so we're planning our departure/arrival now.

Just have to finalise the sale of our house and hope there's no delays on that front!

So excited! Although not relishing the idea of leaving the Uk at start of spring and landing in ChCh at the start of their winter! Vitamin D supplements will be needed!

LL XX
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larryloo

So excited! Although not relishing the idea of leaving the Uk at start of spring and landing in ChCh at the start of their winter! Vitamin D supplements will be needed!

LL XX
Don't worry! We get plenty of sun in the winter and it is a lot dryer than a UK winter - the snow of last year was unusual but then a few things about ChCh over the last couple of years have been unusual
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Re rentals - if dave was to accept a job offer and come over and got a rental is it likely that a landlord would be more likely to accept a dog once they had got to know you and maybe offered a bit more money?

We've never had a problem with rentals for them here even though a lot of landlords dont like pets even here plus staffies have a stigma attached to them but as soon as the landlord meets them its fine! They've stayed in 3 rentals now.

My mum has offered her a good home if we decided to move out without her or even if we went with the view of bringing her out once we had a rental. I wouldnt want to leave her behind though!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Really couldn't say. We lost our dog last week and have decided to be dogless until we get our own place as it would be too distressing to give one up. You could try emailing the agents to see what they advise?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Don't worry! We get plenty of sun in the winter and it is a lot dryer than a UK winter - the snow of last year was unusual but then a few things about ChCh over the last couple of years have been unusual
She will still need her vitamin D supplements. Vitamin D is made by the body when UVB hits the skin. UVB only reaches the ground (skin) when the sun is above 45 degrees from the horizon. This means that for the winter months you will not get your vitamin D from the sun no matter how long you stay out in it.

Vitamin D deficiency has been identified as a particular health problem for South Islanders. Also for people with darker skins, or those who for whatever reason can't get outside. Vitamin D is stored for a period by the body, so topping up in the Autumn is a good idea (when the sun is over 45 degrees). Other options are vitamin D rich foods and supplements. Those concerned should see their doctor to get higher levels on prescription.

According to this article in the NZ Medical Journal:
Conclusions Most Christchurch people are vitamin D deficient most of the time
Hope that helps!

Here's a brochure from Australia on this subject (couldn't find one for NZ): http://www.sunsmart.com.au/downloads...h_brochure.pdf

This website gives a summary of sun altitude in NZ at key points of the year:

http://www.level.org.nz/site-analysis/sun/

Last edited by jmh; Feb 23rd 2013 at 9:35 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Really couldn't say. We lost our dog last week and have decided to be dogless until we get our own place as it would be too distressing to give one up. You could try emailing the agents to see what they advise?
I'm really sorry to hear that,me and mum had to put our family pet to sleep 2 weeks ago so I know how you'll be feeling. Yeah I'll email a few and see what they say.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:40 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: The Christchurch thread

As punishment for all my good work I'm to to be sent back. It wouldn't have been my first choice pre-quake and by the look of it since March '11 they've not wasted much effort or money on the rebuild. Really the only change has been that there is way more grafitti and a few more streets are open.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:07 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
by the look of it since March '11 they've not wasted much effort or money on the rebuild. Really the only change has been that there is way more grafitti and a few more streets are open.
Yup, that doesn't surprise me one jot. Never mind your pop up malls and an entertainment marquee in Hagley Park. Shall we get real here people please ?

They didn't and still don't have a clue what to do with or about Christchurch.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Charismatic
As punishment for all my good work I'm to to be sent back. It wouldn't have been my first choice pre-quake and by the look of it since March '11 they've not wasted much effort or money on the rebuild. Really the only change has been that there is way more grafitti and a few more streets are open.
How many roads were closed, partly closed or had one lane only signs for up to 20 weeks?

Don't get me started on the urine poor planning for the Innes Road/Briggs Road junction. Working on that yet the approach to the roundabout from Innes Road is still like going up and down on a jack in the box!

Oh and they've knocked a load of buildings down. That's about it

Oh well, they plan it'll take till 2017 to fix. I'm almost certain the Ellsmere fault will go barking mad before then causing more damage to Christchurch as well as damage to the Banks Pennisula.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Christchurch thread

To be fair Rome wasn't built in a day. Imagine how much better Christchurch will be than Rome though having already had two years to get started .

One nice thing about the city now though is there is plenty of parking spaced even in the middle .
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Not looking that good at the moment then? What about work for sparkys? Our friend said a few companies were taking blokes on.... hopefully will be more work in the coming months....?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

On my way in April for a year at least, looking to get involved in a geoscience/environmental capacity and looking forward to seeing the rebuilt city taking shape. Can't believe this is actually happening in a month, but who ever can?!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve88
Not looking that good at the moment then? What about work for sparkys? Our friend said a few companies were taking blokes on.... hopefully will be more work in the coming months....?
If you look on trademe, there are quite a few jobs for electricians so all good there.

Re the rebuild of ChCh - before you can rebuild, you have to demolish and so far over 900 buildings in the CBD have now gone. Bear in mind that this work has gone on through the aftershocks and therefore progress may not be as quick as some would like. Before the buildings come down, workers have to enter the red stickered buildings for 'soft demolition, ie taking out stud walls etc and recovering anything that may be recycled. My heart has been in my mouth when I have seen some workers dangling in harnesses on the upper floors of buildings in the CBD.
So, yes there is progress, yes roadworks are ongoing and as we are still getting aftershocks, the earth is still moving and settling, so I can't see an end to them any time soon.
Being in ChCh this February, seeing the grief of those who lost family and friends, made me count my blessings. My men survived the Feb quake and so I personally can live with the other stuff.
Before anyone jumps, this is only my view and I fully accept that it will not be shared by everyone (or even anyone! ). I enjoy living here. I enjoy going into the CBD to witness the changes and look forward to seeing it grow (yes, I know it's going to take years). I only hope that the powers that be listen to people and that the new ChCh will not be all concrete slab and glass.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Thanks for the update !The Chch quake was such a tragic event and our hearts still go out to all those affected..... our friend was lucky to escape with only minor injuries so am counting his blessings too!! In some ways it almost makes us feel guilty in a way to be thinking of coming over and using the re-build as an easy way of relocating..... but in other ways we feel glad that we will be helping to repair some of the damage......so lots of mixed feelings going on! Hope that things improve for you all soon x Becky
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know what you mean but the way you've got to think of it is your going over to help them become a great city again eventually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.