Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:37 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Definitely better winters here. Can get quite hot when the sun shines especially sitting inside or when out and about. Though it's not been that good this week, been freezing cold and I'm not liking getting up for work in the dark

Went for a walk along the newly opened Gloucester street on Sunday. Main reason they're opening more streets is because of the amount of demolition that has taken place, lots of empty space there now. Still a good size cordoned off but a big difference to my last 'cordon perimeter' walk.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Glad to hear the winter will be better! I definitely dont mind a bit of cold, infact I sometimes prefer rugging up than wearing shorts etc. Probably sounds weird! Because a good summer here is rare when the sun comes out it suddenly turns into a fashion contest lol.

Like i already said the coldest i've been is -15 and that was in a badly insulated house so im hoping if i can survive that i'll survive anything haha :P

Does anybody know what the job situation is like atm? im just going to be looking for a job in a shop or cafe/bar/restaurant. Maybe admin too. I notice on trademe and seeknz.com there seems to be quite a lot of jobs and they're increasing but i have no idea how many people are going to be applying for these jobs at the same time
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:25 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and wifey went on bus down to Westfield Mall couple of Saturdays ago all covered up against a cold morning. By eleven o;clock we were sitting outside a coffee house stripping off layers because the sun had decided to take the p*ss and then we had to carry around sweaters, tops and scarves for the rest of the day!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Me and wifey went on bus down to Westfield Mall couple of Saturdays ago all covered up against a cold morning. By eleven o;clock we were sitting outside a coffee house stripping off layers because the sun had decided to take the p*ss and then we had to carry around sweaters, tops and scarves for the rest of the day!
hehe! I think if/when i head out it'll probably be spring or even summer.

Dave didnt ring the company again cos he's not long back from work and shattered, grrrr but i gave them a email and i'll make him ring them tomorrow or he'll get a kick up the bum lol.

Are you and your wife still enjoying it?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:33 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
hehe! I think if/when i head out it'll probably be spring or even summer.

Dave didnt ring the company again cos he's not long back from work and shattered, grrrr but i gave them a email and i'll make him ring them tomorrow or he'll get a kick up the bum lol.

Are you and your wife still enjoying it?
Yes. We are going from winter UK to winter Chch so a long time without summer (though we are used to that where we came from!) so we are experiencing the hard bits first. Jo misses her friends a lot but that would be the same wherever we moved to. The people here are very friendly from what we were used to and shopping is nice the assistants WANT to help you and not just HAVE to serve you. The Jones's stayed in the old country so we don't have to try keeping up with them, we are now judged by who we are not who's designer clothes we are wearing. The hardest part for you to get used to is Chch is so flat where the hell learner drivers practice hill starts God only knows! though the Southern Alps are not far away, and the Port Hills. Chch is wide roads low building regime giving wide open skies and with the strong sun light giving a feeling of freedom!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes. We are going from winter UK to winter Chch so a long time without summer (though we are used to that where we came from!) so we are experiencing the hard bits first. Jo misses her friends a lot but that would be the same wherever we moved to. The people here are very friendly from what we were used to and shopping is nice the assistants WANT to help you and not just HAVE to serve you. The Jones's stayed in the old country so we don't have to try keeping up with them, we are now judged by who we are not who's designer clothes we are wearing. The hardest part for you to get used to is Chch is so flat where the hell learner drivers practice hill starts God only knows! though the Southern Alps are not far away, and the Port Hills. Chch is wide roads low building regime giving wide open skies and with the strong sun light giving a feeling of freedom!
Sounds lovely! Yeah thats definitely a long time to go without summer but im sure it'll be worth it when chch summer comes! probably better than three of our summers rolled into one lol. We've had one full lovely week of sun and then a few other nice days, today being one of them but so far thats it.

Yeah it must be hard getting used to not having your friends around, hope she feels better soon and im sure you'll make loads of friends esp the christchurch guys off here

I know what you mean about service, its very mixed here. Some of them just look like they'd rather be anywhere else and just grunt if you ask them something lol. I wanted to do my driving lessons before i left but it just doesnt look possible moneywise
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about service, its very mixed here. Some of them just look like they'd rather be anywhere else and just grunt if you ask them something lol. :
I can be a bit of a grumpy git at times and do get a bit tired of the constant 'hello, how are you?' just for walking into a shop. I'm usually thinking about stuff and it just distracts me. I like to browse in peace and I'll go and ask for help when I need it, thank you!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Persephone
I can be a bit of a grumpy git at times and do get a bit tired of the constant 'hello, how are you?' just for walking into a shop. I'm usually thinking about stuff and it just distracts me. I like to browse in peace and I'll go and ask for help when I need it, thank you!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh but suddenly you do need help and......yes they've all disappeared....
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:39 am
Queen of the Underworld

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh but suddenly you do need help and......yes they've all disappeared....
I know, either they all disappear or there's a sudden influx of customers who all want help at the same time...I hate shopping...
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:47 am

I know, either they all disappear or there's a sudden influx of customers who all want help at the same time...I hate shopping...
Now then does that include shoes and handbags......
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

LOL i know what you mean, im so twisted sometimes because i do like them to be friendly but a hello, do you need any help etc is enough for me but i hate when they start talking to you for 5mins especially when your in a rush or a bad mood i thought my grumpy face would be enough to put them off!

I think I remember one of the members on here saying a lady serving her in a shop said "thanks for coming to christchurch" when she moved here, was it chippy? I thought that was really nice

Hoping to make friends with kiwis aswell as other expats, i know its not easy at first but hopefully eventually we will!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know what the job situation is like atm?
Tradesmen and builders are leaving Christchurch in frustation over a lack of work and continuing delays to the quake-hit city's reconstruction.
Although recruitment agencies continue to advertise overseas for qualified tradespeople to help with the devastated city's rebuild, local workers say there's not enough work to go around as it is.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10814294
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh dear
Old Jun 21st 2012, 2:40 am

The Christchurch thread-photo0045.jpg

Mid winters day tee shirt and shorts weather....

You can almost feel that blue sky!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

Brilliant shot Storms! Is it down Scarborough way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.