Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:13 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
that has just made my day that, no bad areas like the UK, that was something we were a little concerned about we didn't want to leave inner city liverpool for a NZ version of where we already are. I know I have to view property before I rent that isn't a problem I have a plan ready but I can change it and be flexible...I actually can't wait to get there and get stuck into this, might be down to my sense of adventure ha ha
Go for it, have an adventure! I did, and now have a husband - and that is a good thing, really it is...
Just have a plan/funds for if things aren't what you want and you decide to move back or elsewhere.

As for areas, yes some are more rundown and less affluent but nothing like the worst areas in big cities in the UK. As a petite female there isn't anywhere I wouldn't walk around in Chch during the day. I'd be more wary at night but that applies in any city. Just use common sense-NZ isn't some crime free utopia!
It's worth having a look at some possibles just before you arrive, you can then hit the ground running and go to some open homes as soon as you arrive. We did that, arrived in Chch and went straight to some viewings (we had only come from the North Island though)

Someone asked: we bought on the edge of Hei Hei, right on the edge of the city. It's not an affluent area but has been fine, we do live in a newish subdivision.
Actually that's something to consider: you'll be arriving in summer and it'll be hot BUT older and hence cheaper houses may be poorly insulated/damp/expensive to heat. Try and get a newer house if within your price range. We lived in a 20yo house on the NI and that was cold and damp. We usually had the peculiar phenomenon of it being colder inside than out! Our 8yo house is lovely, warm and well insulated.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Persephone
Go for it, have an adventure! I did, and now have a husband - and that is a good thing, really it is...
Just have a plan/funds for if things aren't what you want and you decide to move back or elsewhere.

As for areas, yes some are more rundown and less affluent but nothing like the worst areas in big cities in the UK. As a petite female there isn't anywhere I wouldn't walk around in Chch during the day. I'd be more wary at night but that applies in any city. Just use common sense-NZ isn't some crime free utopia!
It's worth having a look at some possibles just before you arrive, you can then hit the ground running and go to some open homes as soon as you arrive. We did that, arrived in Chch and went straight to some viewings (we had only come from the North Island though)

Someone asked: we bought on the edge of Hei Hei, right on the edge of the city. It's not an affluent area but has been fine, we do live in a newish subdivision.
Actually that's something to consider: you'll be arriving in summer and it'll be hot BUT older and hence cheaper houses may be poorly insulated/damp/expensive to heat. Try and get a newer house if within your price range. We lived in a 20yo house on the NI and that was cold and damp. We usually had the peculiar phenomenon of it being colder inside than out! Our 8yo house is lovely, warm and well insulated.
Yes that's another point we were concerned with, the housing differences with the UK. We have heard about the NZ house which we would consider in the UK to be a big garden shed. We want something more modern in a decent area which won't break the bank. My plan is land, get to the hotel, next day get down the bank to prove identity and get that up and running, next step is get a car and get round to the different estate agents and go looking at properties and go into my employers office for my start date...I'm hoping to get most of this done within the first few days so I can get in to work and start earning...tell me if you think I'm being unrealistic. I just want to get the most important details done before I go into work as I don't think the missus would be able to cope...once we know where we will be living we can sort out the kids schools
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd give yourself a few days to get over any jet lag. its a very long flight, my legs swelled up so not a lot of walking around for me the first few days.
you can set up a bank account from the UK and transfer funds into it before you come, you then just need to show passport and I believe now you need to show postal address (?) to get a atm card.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It usually takes me about two days to get over the flight. I find I'm fine but then start to flag majorly by early evening so you might find you get less done than you hope for.
Have you got plans to stay in a hotel/motel for a while? If so, I would suggest a motel rather than a hotel. Motels tend to have some cooking facilities, microwave, toaster, oven, fridge, crockery etc which helps if you just want something quick to eat and can't be bothered to go out.

Definitely go for as new a house as you can, more for the insulation and heating side of things though some older houses can be ok if done up. Houses will look less sturdy compared to UK houses but that's for the best if there's an earthquake
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:20 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's newish builds you are after then Chch offers a big selection (for obvious reasons!). Halswell south of the City has big areas of designated plots, Yaldhurst west of the city and Belfast to the north.
Don't be put off by some of the posts about NZ house builds, just like the UK..good and bad....but from where you are leaving the neighbourhood might be better...
p.s I think it was 'P' that posted about HRV systems in NZ We had the system installed and the house is bone dry and the heat pump only has to heat the air now instead of trying to dry it. Dry windows and wardrobes.....wish I had found out about it in the UK though I do not suppose there was enough 'heated attic' to make it work.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

When we arrived, we stopped at the Northlands motel for a week, $99 a night for the two of us and it was what we needed. We arrived on the Sunday and were fine until the Wednesday as that was when the jet lag hit us. It absolutely chucked it down that day so we stopped in the hotel and was asleep by 2pm - didn't wake until 10am the next day, lovely!

That was the best way for us before we then went down to find our place to rent out. Just to let you know that the houses you'll probably get aren't the best. No double glazing, poor heating, damp a pain in the backside - just part and part of renting. You'll find the cheaper places are units

A note about the car, make sure you buy one that's not older than 2003. I think it's 03 that only require one WOF. WOF is our version of an MOT but old cars have to have it every 6 months. It's not really the car that needs the WOF, it's more the driver but you'll understand that after a few months of being stuck in one lane of traffic because the whole stretch of Bealey Avenue or Moorhouse Avenue is having works done.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Stormer999
If it's newish builds you are after then Chch offers a big selection (for obvious reasons!). Halswell south of the City has big areas of designated plots, Yaldhurst west of the city and Belfast to the north.
Don't be put off by some of the posts about NZ house builds, just like the UK..good and bad....but from where you are leaving the neighbourhood might be better...
p.s I think it was 'P' that posted about HRV systems in NZ We had the system installed and the house is bone dry and the heat pump only has to heat the air now instead of trying to dry it. Dry windows and wardrobes.....wish I had found out about it in the UK though I do not suppose there was enough 'heated attic' to make it work.
I don't remember that but I may have in the past I'm getting old 'S'! Our house has one and we rarely get condensation, it does even out the temperature as well. Very nice! Though maybe not in the price range that Gerard is looking at
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

what is HRV? Is that a humidifier? Is damp a really big problem? I knew it would be in the older properties but can you all (please) give me the names of areas that you would consider to be the nice areas I could raise my lads in so I can check these places out first. I know the jet lag is going to be rough but I'll have to just get out and get it done (ex soldier I'll push it to the limit ha ha) and leave the family in the motel. I've said before this info is golden your all brilliant, thank you so much
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Its a home ventilation system, useful in older houses like mine. http://www.hrv.co.nz/
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

TomandFiona is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, while we're on the subject of nice areas to live and bring up children does anyone have any feedback on Diamond Harbour? Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishlad
sorry if off topic but does anyone know the location where the new build university of Canterbury is being built?

This is going to be the first job I will be on and would help with where to look for accommodation.

Cheers
Do you mean the new student accommodation we're building? We're not building a new University although late this year we will build a new experimental structures lab, but haven't done the tender for the work yet so it won't be that.

Hawkins are still on site (since 2011) doing the remediation work.

From the Vice Chancellor last week:

"To take some pressure off the Christchurch housing market we have also addressed the urgent need for student accommodation and have begun building 15 four bedroom houses on the Ilam campus, which will provide accommodation for 60 students this year.

"We have also been able to add back over 150 beds which had been removed to provide office accommodation last year for staff now relocating to the remediated Business and Law School building – the new home for the College of Business and Law.

"The university has also taken the head lease on the 60 bed former Golf Academy on Innes Road next to Mairehau High School and is undertaking minor renovations to add a further 28 beds in time for the start of term."

Perhaps it's one of those projects

Jan
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TomandFiona
Hello, while we're on the subject of nice areas to live and bring up children does anyone have any feedback on Diamond Harbour? Thanks.
Very very quiet

And its a bit of a long journey commute wise.

But your right on the door of the Mount Herbert walk which is fun
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:51 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
what is HRV? Is that a humidifier? Is damp a really big problem? I knew it would be in the older properties but can you all (please) give me the names of areas that you would consider to be the nice areas I could raise my lads in so I can check these places out first. I know the jet lag is going to be rough but I'll have to just get out and get it done (ex soldier I'll push it to the limit ha ha) and leave the family in the motel. I've said before this info is golden your all brilliant, thank you so much
When are you landing? West of the city centre line was least affected by the bang. I live in Burnside quite happy.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom1983
When we arrived, we stopped at the Northlands motel for a week, $99 a night for the two of us and it was what we needed. We arrived on the Sunday and were fine until the Wednesday as that was when the jet lag hit us. It absolutely chucked it down that day so we stopped in the hotel and was asleep by 2pm - didn't wake until 10am the next day, lovely!

That was the best way for us before we then went down to find our place to rent out. Just to let you know that the houses you'll probably get aren't the best. No double glazing, poor heating, damp a pain in the backside - just part and part of renting. You'll find the cheaper places are units

A note about the car, make sure you buy one that's not older than 2003. I think it's 03 that only require one WOF. WOF is our version of an MOT but old cars have to have it every 6 months. It's not really the car that needs the WOF, it's more the driver but you'll understand that after a few months of being stuck in one lane of traffic because the whole stretch of Bealey Avenue or Moorhouse Avenue is having works done.
so after 03 it's a 12 month WOF and before is every 6 months? that's another thing I didn't know I thought all cars got a WOF every 6 months. From what I have saw on car sales web sites it seems the Ford Mondeo will lose it's the value fairly quickly just like in the UK. That's the car I drive now and would be good to fit all my tools in...do you know about car value or anything? I need to get a car but don't want an old banger that will constantly need work to it
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stormer999
When are you landing? West of the city centre line was least affected by the bang. I live in Burnside quite happy.
I'm hoping to be out there in 6 to 8 weeks I'm only waiting for my visa to get stamped but from what I'm told by immigration it could be sooner...until I have that confirmed I'm not booking flights although really it would be ideal to have that all ready so I have a date to aim for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.