Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

yes thats auck. if i were to go back and start nz again, i would have been wiser like those of you going elsewhere in nz, i.e. ChCh, although i would have experienced the quake and you really cant predict 40% price rises in auckland in just over 2 years.

storage is a good point, certainly i plan on a decent shed investment or breeze block build, or just using the garage! anything else you think of, let me know. but the bottom of gardens are for sheds right? kayaking, skiing, all that sort of stuff we never do more than once a year,usually when on holiday,so we just rent gear. we did ski twice last year, but it is pricey. the only things we really would need to store are our push bikes, car(s), my computer equipment and the bbq has a decent cover for outside. all of that we will be selling though, so we really will have a blank canvas when home. one thing on my mind is getting a quad bike though. i'll pm you back in the next few days.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheCockneyKiwi
Gerard

We arrived on Monday (2 kids. 4 and 2) and I have to say that you will really struggle to find anything decent at that range. I would say that $500 would be the minimum and even then you will struggle.

If you like "out of town" modern developments, there are plenty of these. These tend to be on the outskirts (Halswell) or in commutable areas in places like Rangiora or Pegasus.

So far, we really like:

Sumner (also called Pomner!)
Beckenham
St Martins
Cashmere

What I would say, is that there are probably more areas that you would live in rather than 100% wouldn't . Brighton and the surrounding suburbs so far seems to be the only ones for us. These remind me of Southend / Blackpool and other UK seaside towns.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info but 500 NZD upwards will take a chunk out of my weekly wage to pay this rent. Looking on some websites for homes like Harcourts they are saying I can get somewhere for 350 NZD to 400 NZD but obviously I don't know the areas...I gotta find somewhere for a long term lease so the kids can go to school and I'm not uprooting them all the time. How different from the UK would you say these areas are? I'm not expecting gangs on every street corner but I don't want to move to a run down area
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
Thanks for the info but 500 NZD upwards will take a chunk out of my weekly wage to pay this rent. Looking on some websites for homes like Harcourts they are saying I can get somewhere for 350 NZD to 400 NZD but obviously I don't know the areas...I gotta find somewhere for a long term lease so the kids can go to school and I'm not uprooting them all the time. How different from the UK would you say these areas are? I'm not expecting gangs on every street corner but I don't want to move to a run down area
Its just different.

If you do a search on www.Trademe.co.nz (like Right Move, Ebay rolled into one) you will see what I mean.

You have to drive round the areas also to get a feel for them. What works for you might not work for us and visa versa. Also, depends what areas of the Uk you are used to.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheCockneyKiwi
Its just different.

If you do a search on www.Trademe.co.nz (like Right Move, Ebay rolled into one) you will see what I mean.

You have to drive round the areas also to get a feel for them. What works for you might not work for us and visa versa. Also, depends what areas of the Uk you are used to.
I'm from an inner city area of Liverpool quite close to Everton FC stadium, full of gangs and a rough area. I'm just trying to hit the ground running and make the transition as smooth as possible for my boys. I'm only working out where to live on price range really from what I would earn minimum per week. Obviously a huge move to the opposite side of the world but 1 we are determined to make work with a mentality of never moving back to the UK...and ultimately gain NZ citizenship
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:12 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
I think that's being picky! Most of those houses are of superior build quality to the vast majority of open homes I have been to in NZ. In our current house, the whole house shakes when the washing machine is on. I didn't think rooms in 1 were small, agree with you on no.2. I'd choose out of 1, 3 and 4. Ex-council house area doesn't bother me, especially after living here in Beach Haven. I like those style of houses as well (no.4)

Pom-Chch - Thanks. But plenty of big hills about (maybe not mountains for skiing), i.e. Peak District within a few miles! You can see one from one of the views. As for land, where I am now, the land you get with most of those properties is a lot more land than I'd get for similar prices here (and at least another half of the money again).
Sorry Davros will now expand my thoughts.
new builds UK many have brick exterior and studded interior...NZ build if you like only in UK the outside brick holds up the roof and the opposite in NZ. Chipboard and plastic are the main materials making the houses thermally sound but suffering from noise travel...toilet flush is a shared experience.
Any house or built the communal areas, dining/living rooms are proportional to the number of occupants i.e bedrooms. So adding extra sleeping areas does not convert the house into a larger dwelling just squeezes the living spaces.
Council houses are some of the best houses built using the finest materials...but...some of the occupants have not scrimped and saved hard to buy them but just been gifted and so do not respect what they have got etc....
The big stone guest house will need work as it will be selling up at the end of its life so to speak and will need TLC but would be a good project providing it is in an area that can support an upgrade in price.
Try Hayfield.....more hills than Ashbourne area.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Are you wanting a furnished or unfurnished property?

How many bedrooms?

How long do you want a long-term lease for? The maximum allowed after the Quakes is 12 months with ability to renew at the end of the term.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Don't you go getting home sick again....
It comes and it goes at it's own whim. I've come to accept it as perfectly normal.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:45 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It comes and it goes at it's own whim. I've come to accept it as perfectly normal.
Funny but everytime we have moved area I have had pangs even 5 miles up the road. Coming to NZ has been easier for me as I have never considered myself English in the first place.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

scottishlad is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry if off topic but does anyone know the location where the new build university of Canterbury is being built?

This is going to be the first job I will be on and would help with where to look for accommodation.

Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Are you wanting a furnished or unfurnished property?

How many bedrooms?

How long do you want a long-term lease for? The maximum allowed after the Quakes is 12 months with ability to renew at the end of the term.
We're after an unfurnished property and 2 or 3 bedroom house/town house/apartment would do for us for now as long as it's affordable and the lease would be at least 12 months. From what I can gather property could be a bit hard to come by after the quakes but I'm seeing quite a few properties for rent on websites so can anyone clarify what is going on? The wife seems to think we're just going to breeze in and it will be easy. I, on the other hand, am planning for worst case scenario and anything better is a bonus...some one please stop me from throttling her
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

We're after an unfurnished property and 2 or 3 bedroom house/town house/apartment would do for us for now as long as it's affordable and the lease would be at least 12 months. From what I can gather property could be a bit hard to come by after the quakes but I'm seeing quite a few properties for rent on websites so can anyone clarify what is going on? The wife seems to think we're just going to breeze in and it will be easy. I, on the other hand, am planning for worst case scenario and anything better is a bonus...some one please stop me from throttling her
Breeze in

It's up to the landlord, if they accept your application, then you move subject to bonds and payments in advance, these vary!

If you go via a letting agent, your application could take a few days, private landlord can be an on the spot decision.

There are around 100 properties under the $400 per week unfurnished 2 to 3 bedrooms on trademe.co.nz.

Note, you cannot apply without viewing them. That's the rules here, you have to view the property first. Therefore I hope she who must be obeyed isn't thinking you can apply and move in straight away after landing. There are some decent areas, it's not all Linwood, Phillipstown, Richmond or Aranui.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Given the housing market, I would be surprised if you managed to get a rental before you came. Why would a landlord rent a property to someone not already there, more risk when there are plenty of people already in the city? Your best option would be to arrive with some ideas in mind and also with a plan to do some intensive exploring to see what the areas look like.
There are no really bad areas like in the UK, just more rundown areas.
And it would be better to take a bit more time and be somewhere you like it will make settling in easier.

Having said that, we bought a house within 4 days of arrival, one we'd viewed and liked the day we arrived. However MrS, being a kiwi, and having lived in Chch in his 20s did know the city. We also moved pre-earthquakes.

All the best
P
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Having said that, we bought a house within 4 days of arrival, one we'd viewed and liked the day we arrived. However MrS, being a kiwi, and having lived in Chch in his 20s did know the city. We also moved pre-earthquakes.

All the best
P
Where did you buy out of interest?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Breeze in

It's up to the landlord, if they accept your application, then you move subject to bonds and payments in advance, these vary!

If you go via a letting agent, your application could take a few days, private landlord can be an on the spot decision.

There are around 100 properties under the $400 per week unfurnished 2 to 3 bedrooms on trademe.co.nz.

Note, you cannot apply without viewing them. That's the rules here, you have to view the property first. Therefore I hope she who must be obeyed isn't thinking you can apply and move in straight away after landing. There are some decent areas, it's not all Linwood, Phillipstown, Richmond or Aranui.
thanks...she who will do as she is told will follow orders ha ha, I don't know what she is thinking but once we land I plan on getting down to the bank to prove my identity and hopefully get a car in the next day or 2 after landing. Then it's out and about to find somewhere to live but I'm trying to stay pretty flexible. I still have to get down to my employers office to find out when and where to start work so, with being ex army, orders will have to be followed...I may bug you for more info ha ha
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
Given the housing market, I would be surprised if you managed to get a rental before you came. Why would a landlord rent a property to someone not already there, more risk when there are plenty of people already in the city? Your best option would be to arrive with some ideas in mind and also with a plan to do some intensive exploring to see what the areas look like.
There are no really bad areas like in the UK, just more rundown areas.
And it would be better to take a bit more time and be somewhere you like it will make settling in easier.

All the best
P
that has just made my day that, no bad areas like the UK, that was something we were a little concerned about we didn't want to leave inner city liverpool for a NZ version of where we already are. I know I have to view property before I rent that isn't a problem I have a plan ready but I can change it and be flexible...I actually can't wait to get there and get stuck into this, might be down to my sense of adventure ha ha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.