Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

I will be moving to Christchurch in 6 to 8 weeks hopefully. Can anyone recommend a decent area to move my family to? The kids are 14 and 11 (2 boys) and we're looking for a more modern house/apartment/town house to rent. I know the rents on properties are higher than they normally would be so any recommendations would be brilliant, thanks
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:19 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE,
Good luck with the move!

As for good areas, it depends on what you want. Rural or city? Price range etc. We chose our house based on proximity for work for both of us, neither of us
like commuting so we ended up with a compromise which worked for us.

Let us know a bit more and we can recommend areas, also do a search on here as it's a question that comes up often.

Towns outside Chch like Rolleston nearly seduced us with their bigger gardens and houses but we realised we wanted to be within the city!
Our house is in a 8yo subdivision off Hei Hei, we like it there, close to shops but the edge of Chch is at the end of our street so we have rural as well.Other areas we'd consider: Avonhead, Halswell, St Albans, Merivale. Fendalton might be a bit pricey.Most areas west of the centre basically, though don't discount places like Parklands or Sumner. It will be easier to judge what you want when you're here
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for such a quick response...we haven't really decided on rural or not we're just thinking price range really. We don't really want to be paying any more than 400 NZD per week maximum and a 2 or 3 bedroom property is what we would be looking for close enough to schools and shops. Am I right in assuming that property closer to the city is more expensive? Are routes into the CBD really congested of a morning? Is the construction work mainly on the CBD or equally shared with residential building projects? I have an awful lot of questions to ask on here
Old Jan 12th 2014, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Gerard

We arrived on Monday (2 kids. 4 and 2) and I have to say that you will really struggle to find anything decent at that range. I would say that $500 would be the minimum and even then you will struggle.

If you like "out of town" modern developments, there are plenty of these. These tend to be on the outskirts (Halswell) or in commutable areas in places like Rangiora or Pegasus.

So far, we really like:

Sumner (also called Pomner!)
Beckenham
St Martins
Cashmere

What I would say, is that there are probably more areas that you would live in rather than 100% wouldn't . Brighton and the surrounding suburbs so far seems to be the only ones for us. These remind me of Southend / Blackpool and other UK seaside towns.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomandFiona
Thanks. A few things really have led to the decision. Weather, outdoor activities, population and curiosity. We're hoping to generally improve the quality of our lives.
It's interesting how we all hope to find what you say above. I hope you do, its never as easy as people think, but if you work at it, I think you can achieve it wherever you are in the world (unless the system is plain ridiculous).

We are going back for similar reasons:
a) Quality of Life (its completely subjective).
Here in NZ, I work more that I did in the UK, I have less holiday, I find there's less to do in my time off and the cost of living is quite a bit higher.
b) Cost of Housing - its extortionate where we are. Kent, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Westcountry all appear very cheap in comparison. The flat 20% deposit rule that came in on Oct 1st 2013 didn't help young families/first time buyers either.

Our concerns with moving back are:
a) Multiculturalism/Immigration - I am worried it will be quite a shock to the system (we want to feel as though we are back in our own land again). So we want to live somewhere that has a very traditional English feel to it.
b) The Rain
c) Population as a whole - again, will try to pick less busy areas, i.e. avoid the South East.

I know you're leaving, but out of interest, what would you say are nice areas/villages/towns in the Derbyshire Dales?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:58 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Hayfield the cheaper semi's start at about £270k Nice little village but busy in summer. ($NZ 535k)
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Try Hayfield the cheaper semi's start at about £270k Nice little village but busy in summer. ($NZ 535k)
Can you give some links for these rentals please ?

Hidden gems and all that are worth their weight in gold.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:21 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...ouses&index=30

Lovely little village been camping/walking there many times
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Can you give some links for these rentals please ?

Hidden gems and all that are worth their weight in gold.
Don't you go getting home sick again....
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:27 am

Hayfield has a pretty little cricket green....good pubs.....good chippy....easy access to Kinder Scout and good open country walking. Shame about all the Hoo Ray Henry's shooting grouse...but you can ignore them!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Stormer.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I will try to keep any further posts on this thread to a minimum unless directly relevant to the topic.

I have been looking at Ashbourne, Bakewell, Buxton and areas within 3 miles of those places. I am seeing some amazing houses in the 200-250K region (some under 200K GBP) and I am staggered at what you get. Ashbourne and Bakewell look like lovely areas. Would anyone concur?

Here are some houses:
1) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
2) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39077050.html
3) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
4) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-37675174.html
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:54 am

First thoughts.....
No1 new build small rooms
No 2 Attic conversion noise from next door concerns
No 3 Nice ... but needs "cosmetic" work my choice...renovate and sell.
No 4 Ex council house Area?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:15 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Davros,

Not enough land for me and no mountains to go skiing on me doorstep But if land isn't a high priority then all of them would be good apart from number three, which would need a lot of work and seeing as the price is higher to start with I'm not sure I would go for it. But as Stormer said if you have the money do it up and sell it on.

Seems promising for your move back
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormer999
First thoughts.....
No1 new build small rooms
No 2 Attic conversion noise from next door concerns
No 3 Nice ... but needs "cosmetic" work my choice...renovate and sell.
No 4 Ex council house Area?
I think that's being picky! Most of those houses are of superior build quality to the vast majority of open homes I have been to in NZ. In our current house, the whole house shakes when the washing machine is on. I didn't think rooms in 1 were small, agree with you on no.2. I'd choose out of 1, 3 and 4. Ex-council house area doesn't bother me, especially after living here in Beach Haven. I like those style of houses as well (no.4)

Pom-Chch - Thanks. But plenty of big hills about (maybe not mountains for skiing), i.e. Peak District within a few miles! You can see one from one of the views. As for land, where I am now, the land you get with most of those properties is a lot more land than I'd get for similar prices here (and at least another half of the money again).
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:57 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Pom-Chch - Thanks. But plenty of big hills about (maybe not mountains for skiing), i.e. Peak District within a few miles! You can see one from one of the views. As for land, where I am now, the land you get with most of those properties is a lot more land than I'd get for similar prices here (and at least another half of the money again).
Yes, that view is very nice!

Eek, Auckland sounds expensive. I guess Cantabs is more suited to my farmer tendencies being from Somerset! Seems to be the norm down here especially outside of Chch - decent chunk of land. What with hopefully getting a dog and growing lots of produce it will be good to have a decent garden (plus room for the outside bar ).

How are properties (in general, not just the links) for storage where you are looking Davros? With us having a lot of stuff - bikes, kayaks, BBQ, scuba gear, sports gear etc and a place to put the car we would need a decent amount of storage in the form of a garage (nervous about sheds due to security.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.